Frolik
Wideman
Chiasson

To Calgary
Shaw
Lingren
Andrighetto or Carr
Desharnais

Flames get gritty winger, solid goalie prospect, bottom-9 young offensive winger & expiring contract in Desharnais

Habs get scoring RW, downgrade in gritty bottom-6 W & bottom-4 PMD with familiarity to new habs coach & expiring contract.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
To Mtl
Frolik
Wideman
Chiasson

To Calgary
Shaw
Lingren
Andrighetto or Carr
Desharnais

Flames get gritty winger, solid goalie prospect, bottom-9 young offensive winger & expiring contract in Desharnais

Habs get scoring RW, downgrade in gritty bottom-6 W & bottom-4 PMD with familiarity to new habs coach & expiring contract.

I'd pass. Not that interested in Shaw, and Frolik is too important. Trading him just guts the RW even more. Don't see Andrighetto making any impact on the Flames, and don't want DD. Calgary also doesn't need goalie prospects atm, with Gillies/McDonald/Parssons.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Mckenzie said on insider trading that CGY is "scanning" the market for goalies and clear upgrades over Johnson and Elliot. If the price isnt decent they are fine with what they have.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Mckenzie said on insider trading that CGY is "scanning" the market for goalies and clear upgrades over Johnson and Elliot. If the price isnt decent they are fine with what they have.

I don't doubt that Treliving may be doing this, but Bobby Mac is very hit and miss with Flames news (see Gaudreau contract saga)

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Ryan Miller and Jannik Hansen for ???

Don't think Miller is necessary, but Hansen would be nice. Might be a little too costly for the Flames, though. I don't think they can afford to give up a good asset for a 30 year old winger - they're not contender status yet, so it doesn't make much sense. 1st would have to be off the table, as would the better prospects (Jankowski, Kylington, Andersson, Parsons, Gillies, at least).

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
To Mtl
Frolik
Wideman
Chiasson

To Calgary
Shaw
Lingren
Andrighetto or Carr
Desharnais

Trade does absolutely nothing to address Calgary's need, with Gilles and Parsons we don't need another goalie prospect, and Frolik is a far better winger then what's coming back.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Goaltending is not Calgary's problem. Elliott is playing better and Johnson is a solid backup.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Philly feels they are out of the playoffs Mason to Calgary?

We're not even playing him right now, so he must be available.

Just swap Mason with retention for Elliott and I bet both guys do better with a change of scenery.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Meh, unless we can get a Smith, Miller or Fleury cheap id rather just stick with Elliot. His game is starting to come around. Maybe a guy of the future like Grubauer but that's an offseason move IMO.

The West is wide open and no team other then Anaheim (past) really scares me this year.

I'd rather just stand pat. The Stone trade was essential but I think we can hold off for the rest of the deadline.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We're not even playing him right now, so he must be available.

Just swap Mason with retention for Elliott and I bet both guys do better with a change of scenery.

Seriously, do people pay attention to anything but season long stats? Go watch Elliott play and tell me he doesn't look like a #1. He doesn't need a change of scenery, he looks quite good.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To Mtl
Frolik
Wideman
Chiasson

To Calgary
Shaw
Lingren
Andrighetto or Carr
Desharnais

An average, college UFA goaltender, a waiver material AHL winger and a useless player and we should give up a quality top 6/9 winger like Frolik? Even Wideman and Chiasson have more value than 3/4 of what they are getting to give up Frolik as well.

Ugly. Seems like all Habs fans around here want others gold for their trash.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seriously, do people pay attention to anything but season long stats? Go watch Elliott play and tell me he doesn't look like a #1. He doesn't need a change of scenery, he looks quite good.

Calgary should extend him then.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

I could see that being accurate, but there really likely isn't anyone available who would be a clear upgrade, especially as Elliott has been a bit better of late. I doubt anything happens, but you never know.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
Meh, unless we can get a Smith, Miller or Fleury cheap id rather just stick with Elliot. His game is starting to come around. Maybe a guy of the future like Grubauer but that's an offseason move IMO.

The West is wide open and no team other then Anaheim (past) really scares me this year.

I'd rather just stand pat. The Stone trade was essential but I think we can hold off for the rest of the deadline.

I really like the idea of trading for Smith. If they retained like 25 percent over the next couple years what would he be worth? Would love it if they included vrbata in deal.

Jokipakka
Johnson
Bouma
2017 1st

for
Mike Smith 25% retained
Vrbata

How is this?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Calgary should extend him then.

I said it on our own board, I'll repeat it here.

To me this suggests they aren't 100% happy with Elliot, but will only move for another goalie if the price is right and its a CLEAR upgrade on Elliot/Johnson. If we don't move for another goalie before the deadline, then I expect the rumors to continue till the draft, or until Elliot is re-signed.

Treliving is a guy that likes to check on all options. It's something that's been abundantly clear since he became GM. If there has been a goalie or a player that fits our team, he's at least had preliminary discussions with his counterpart GM. Doesn't mean he is going to make a move per say, just that he likes to keep his finger on the pulse so to speak.

Since he's become GM, we've heard he's checked on the price of Jones (when in LA), Andersen (while still in Anaheim), Talbot (while still with the NYR), Fleury, Bishop, Elliot, etc. Those are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure there were more. We only ended up going after Elliot after doing all those ones before him (over a span of two years). As I said, he does his due diligence.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I really like the idea of trading for Smith. If they retained like 25 percent over the next couple years what would he be worth? Would love it if they included vrbata in deal.

Jokipakka
Johnson
Bouma
2017 1st

for
Mike Smith 25% retained
Vrbata

How is this?

I wouldn't move our first for either of those players, even together.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I said it on our own board, I'll repeat it here.

To me this suggests they aren't 100% happy with Elliot, but will only move for another goalie if the price is right and its a CLEAR upgrade on Elliot/Johnson.
If we don't move for another goalie before the deadline, then I expect the rumors to continue till the draft, or until Elliot is re-signed.

Treliving is a guy that likes to check on all options. It's something that's been abundantly clear since he became GM. If there has been a goalie or a player that fits our team, he's at least had preliminary discussions with his counterpart GM. Doesn't mean he is going to make a move per say, just that he likes to keep his finger on the pulse so to speak.

This is my interpretation as well. If they were satisfied with Elliott long term, we likely would have heard at the very least rumblings of a negotiation. It doesn't mean they won't end up signing him. I think Treliving is waiting to see if a clear upgrade is available (for the right price) before he 'settles' with what we have.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
This is my interpretation as well. If they were satisfied with Elliott long term, we likely would have heard at the very least rumblings of a negotiation. It doesn't mean they won't end up signing him. I think Treliving is waiting to see if a clear upgrade is available (for the right price) before he 'settles' with what we have.

If the goalie is better than Elliott he's going to be more expensive and or have more baggage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad