Rumor: Calgary looking at getting a goalie

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Just kicking the tires here ... would any Flames fans be interested in Jake Allen? I think he might thrive in a different system than in St. Louis. I don't watch enough Calgary games to form an opinion about their system, but it has been mentioned on our sub-forum that Allen would probably thrive in a higher shot environment.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Just kicking the tires here ... would any Flames fans be interested in Jake Allen? I think he might thrive in a different system than in St. Louis. I don't watch enough Calgary games to form an opinion about their system, but it has been mentioned on our sub-forum that Allen would probably thrive in a higher shot environment.

Depending on the price, I would be interested for sure.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Based on the bolded, if that is the case, he probably wouldn't be a good fit.

I suspect the Flames will be one of the best teams in shots against per game. We finished 10th last season, but the Peters coached Hurricanes were 1st. That said, how many more shots per game is a "higher shot environment", because with the exception of a few outliers (CAR, NYI, NYR and FLA) everyone in the league allowed between 29 and 34 shots per game, I know extrapolated over the season a difference of 5 shots per game is alot, but if he faced 3-5 more shots per game, would that really be enough to keep him more mentally engaged?

That said, I've always been a fan of Allen and would consider him as a trade option next summer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Blues should swap Jake Allen for Smith. This would be a great basis for a trade that would help both teams.
It would leave the Flames in a position where they probably would need to add a veteran backup more than they do now.

Reactions: Taluss

Flames67

Jun 8, 2018
Saros would be fantastic. However, it's pretty unrealistic. I like the idea of Dubynk, that would be great. But I could see Bobrovsky being a dark horse option. I'm not that high on him, contract wise not talent. If it included a Bennett swap at least it's outside of the conference in case he turns into Hall.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I would love to add Allen but doubt we have the pieces to get the deal done, at least pieces we could afford to give up unless St. Louis was in love with a guy like Parsons, but even then I can’t see them being happy going with Smith next year as there guy as then being stuck the year after waiting for Parsons or relying on Smith again. I think that would have made a lot more sense had they kept Hutton.

But if there is a reasonable deal to be made sign me up for Allen to the Flames.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

So, going to the 6th best SA team in the league is probably not the best option then eh?

The issue Calgary has, is the timely save. This past season was like watching someone's heart break in slow motion. Constant pressure, outshooting, out chancing... out playing... only to have a weak one on the counter go in.

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Tre tried going for Ben Bishop with a fairly big contract and rumor is ownership veto'd it (this was before his full autonomy contract). Pitt wanted the ****ing Tkachuk pick for Fleury, so they can go **** themselves right there. I can't recall the Flames ever being in Anderson, and if you mean Andersen then they would have had to massively overpay to a divisional rival, no deal to be had.

And "keeping Tkachuk" is more than fine, Tkachuk is a superstar and is the most important player on the Flames roster. And unlike people on HF who know ****all about hockey, the Flames aren't giving up on Bennett when he is 21 years old.

Throw yourself into that category.

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
Calvin Pickard + a draft pick for Michael Stone?

Didn’t get much playing time in the NHL last season, but the year before he played 50 games for a very bad Avalanche team and put up adequate numbers. Would have been the Leafs backup last season if it weren’t for McElhinney playing out of his mind.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
If you follow the advanced stats, you probably agree with Dansk and Lindgren. Both should be available and have some impressive stats.

Going after Saros would be a waste of time, NSH would ask way too much because they need him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Didn’t get much playing time in the NHL last season, but the year before he played 50 games for a very bad Avalanche team and put up adequate numbers. Would have been the Leafs backup last season if it weren’t for McElhinney playing out of his mind.

That would be heaven for Calgary, they should be finding a way to move Stone anyway with the young guys they have looking to take a spot from him.

Reactions: Almighty

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That would be heaven for Calgary, they should be finding a way to move Stone anyway with the young guys they have looking to take a spot from him.
Yes I agree. Stone is definitely one of the Flames quality tradeable assets. I suspect if Treliving does make a deal for another goalie that Stone will be in the trade package. Rasmus Anderson is expected to play defense for the team this year and I expect Valimaki to push hard to make the team too. Stone is probably expendable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stone is the insurance policy for our top 4, he's going nowhere until Andersson proves he can not only be a regular, but handle bigger minutes. Stone can play both sides and take on bigger minutes when needed. The only young guy that is ready with any real potential is Andersson and Stone can play LD with him and push Kulak down to the #7 spot

Also Pickard is a steaming pile of shit.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
That's rich. Who was the last good Oilers goalie before one good season of Talbot? He was terrible last year. In fact he was at 3.02 GAA and .908 save %. Even Smith was better than that at 2.65 and .916%

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Stone is the insurance policy for our top 4, he's going nowhere until Andersson proves he can not only be a regular, but handle bigger minutes. Stone can play both sides and take on bigger minutes when needed. The only young guy that is ready with any real potential is Andersson and Stone can play LD with him and push Kulak down to the #7 spot

Also Pickard is a steaming pile of ****.

Pickard is not a steaming pile, he is a good backup, better than what Calgary currently has to play with going into this year, and the Flames are screwed if (when?) the inevitable Mike Smith injury happens. I agree that Stone is your insurance policy for the top 4, but he's overpaid for what he brings to the Flames unless someone gets hurt. And he could fill a more glaring hole.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's rich. Who was the last good Oilers goalie before one good season of Talbot? He was terrible last year. In fact he was at 3.02 GAA and .908 save %. Even Smith was better than that at 2.65 and .916%
"Even Smith was better"...Smith had a damn good first half of the year. Talbot had a damn awful first half of the year. Neither team has had a good goalie for a consistent amount of time recently, so I'm not sure why the bickering about that. Both teams are goalie graveyards in recent history.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pickard is not a steaming pile, he is a good backup, better than what Calgary currently has to play with going into this year, and the Flames are screwed if (when?) the inevitable Mike Smith injury happens. I agree that Stone is your insurance policy for the top 4, but he's overpaid for what he brings to the Flames unless someone gets hurt. And he could fill a more glaring hole.
Yes, Pickard is absolutely f***ing terrible. Acquiring him would at best be a lateral move. He doesn't have the ability to start when a starter drops and is no better than Rittich when it comes to spot starts (for which Rittich was actually very good last year).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes, Pickard is absolutely ****ing terrible. Acquiring him would at best be a lateral move. He doesn't have the ability to start when a starter drops and is no better than Rittich when it comes to spot starts (for which Rittich was actually very good last year).
Pickard is twice the goalie of Rittich, and can absolutely step up if a starting goalie gets hurt. Rittich can play one game every couple of weeks and not look like crap. That's not good when you have an aging goalie with injury history. Pickard is a huge upgrade.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pickard is twice the goalie of Rittich, and can absolutely step up if a starting goalie gets hurt. Rittich can play one game every couple of weeks and not look like crap. That's not good when you have an aging goalie with injury history. Pickard is a huge upgrade.
Maybe we've watched different versions of Pickard. Everytime I've seen him at, he gets lit up like Cheech and Chong.

There is a reason why he cleared waivers last year, it's certainly not because he's as good as you think he is.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I don't think Calvin Pickard has any trade value at all. Maybe a 6th rounder if a team was desperate for AHL help, but the idea that a team needing NHL goaltending help would look at Calvin Pickard seems very far fetched.

Additionally, the Flames, should they move Stone, would likely want to get more back then a tweener goaltender and a draft pick. He gives their defense quality NHL calibre depth. Why give that up to get Calvin Pickard? Doesn't make any sense at all.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Pickard is not a steaming pile, he is a good backup, better than what Calgary currently has to play with going into this year, and the Flames are screwed if (when?) the inevitable Mike Smith injury happens.

So the Flames are screwed if Mike Smith gets hurt and David Rittich takes over but they are not screwed if Mike Smith gets hurt and Calvin Pickard takes over?

Based on, what, exactly?

Rittich had a winning record last year and a save percentage over .900. That seems like exactly what I want out of a good back up netminder. He also logged 21 NHL games, cutting his teeth in the league.

I really don't think there's any upgrade from Rittich to Pickard, let alone one that would make throwing an asset like Stone away anything less than idiotic asset management.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad