Series Discussion: Calgary Flames vs. Colorado Avalanche

What's the outcome of this series?

• Total voters

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Watched this earlier. Pretty good overview, although I'll say that he skated over the Flames bottom 6 which has been tearing it up for the last 3-4 weeks (the fourth line, anyways). If DAG continue to be a force then they could be a huge trump card for the Flames in this series.
I'd agree with that. I think the Flames depth will be huge in this series and you'll guys like Mangiapane, ryan, and Hathaway come to the forefront.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Are you allowed to sell tickets for A game on here? I’m selling two tickets to the 1st game $80ea. I thought I’d be able to go but I won’t be. Bought them for $95

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
When our top line is "on" it is a top 3 line in the league. And we've shown to be able to play as a top 3 line for a few months at a time. Even if we're 80% of our peak play this year I think that's enough (I'm not suggesting they aim for less than 100%, would be nice if they do).

Other than our first line, the rest of our lines just need to play like they have for most of the year. Same goes for our D.

I guess our goaltending has played better for a few months, but honestly I still don't feel the confidence in either like I do when watching a Vasilesky or Fleury or other elite tenders. They are what they are but they need to be how they've been playing and even better for us to win. Certainly past this series if we're so fortunate.

Fingers crossed!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Good luck guys. I think this might be the best series in the first round. We lost all 3 games, but they were close, and exciting.

Reactions: King In The North

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Good luck guys. I think this might be the best series in the first round. We lost all 3 games, but they were close, and exciting.

The Flames and Av's have not played since Jan 9 and really little relevance in regards to how the teams game-plans and health are today.

Since the last game between the 2 teams:
  • Calgary's chemistry in the bottom 6 has exploded and the 2 line team you folks saw has added another 2 scoring lines.
  • Calgary's defensive game has been honed in the second half and the loosey-goosey team that was observed in the first half is gone.
  • Neal is ready for the playoffs.
  • Grubauer has claimed the starters role in Colorado and has played well in the second half but can he overcome his implosion in Washington a year ago?
  • Rantanen and Landeskog are banged up and though in the line-up are not at their peak health. Are they going to survive a series where they are played very physically by Calgary's defense?
  • Outside the top line the Av's are horribly out-matched.
I don't see this series even being close. Calgary in 5

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If we lose, I’m pretty confident it’ll be the goalies fault. Don’t stick with smith if he’s ass after game 1.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The Flames and Av's have not played since Jan 9 and really little relevance in regards to how the teams game-plans and health are today.

Since the last game between the 2 teams:
  • Calgary's chemistry in the bottom 6 has exploded and the 2 line team you folks saw has added another 2 scoring lines.
  • Calgary's defensive game has been honed in the second half and the loosey-goosey team that was observed in the first half is gone.
  • Neal is ready for the playoffs.
  • Grubauer has claimed the starters role in Colorado and has played well in the second half but can he overcome his implosion in Washington a year ago?
  • Rantanen and Landeskog are banged up and though in the line-up are not at their peak health. Are they going to survive a series where they are played very physically by Calgary's defense?
  • Outside the top line the Av's are horribly out-matched.
I don't see this series even being close. Calgary in 5
You sound like you're fun at parties.

The Avs are 8-1-2 in their last 11 games (best record leading up to the playoffs). Gruabuer has been the best goalie in the league for the last month.

Landeskog is healthy, and Rantanen looks like he will be back for game one. MacKinnon is a proven playoff scorer.

The Avs record is also extremely misleading.

First 27 games: 16-6-5 37 points .685 point %
Next 27 games: 6-16-5 17 points .315 point %
Last 27 games: 16-7-4 36 points .667 point %

The only team in the league that had a higher point percentage than Colorado in the 1st and 3rd part of the season, was Tampa.

During the middle of the season, our goaltenders were 45th and 46th ranked in the league, and we had the worst point percentage in the league. Despite losing constantly due to goaltending, our team was top 5 in most positive metrics.

The Avs aren't a push over, and are a lot better than their record shows.

This won't be a cake walk for Calgary.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
You sound like you're fun at parties.

The Avs are 8-1-2 in their last 11 games (best record leading up to the playoffs). Gruabuer has been the best goalie in the league for the last month.

Landeskog is healthy, and Rantanen looks like he will be back for game one. MacKinnon is a proven playoff scorer.

The Avs record is also extremely misleading.

First 27 games: 16-6-5 37 points .685 point %
Next 27 games: 6-16-5 17 points .315 point %
Last 27 games: 16-7-4 36 points .667 point %

The only team in the league that had a higher point percentage than Colorado in the 1st and 3rd part of the season, was Tampa.

During the middle of the season, our goaltenders were 45th and 46th ranked in the league, and we had the worst point percentage in the league. Despite losing constantly due to goaltending, our team was top 5 in most positive metrics.

The Avs aren't a push over, and are a lot better than their record shows.

This won't be a cake walk for Calgary.
Calgary in 4

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
You Flame fans really need to relax okay. I mean the Avs aren't a bad hockey team, but there's absolutely zero chance that this is going to be a competitive series.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If we lose this series, the amount of shit @Rubi is going to have to eat on behalf of us is insane. Guy has gone on a tear declaring us as unbeatable and made it known to everyone how he feels. As much as I love the guy, oh my it could look bad for us.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer and Dack

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The score doesn’t matter as long as both teams have fun

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: crackdown44

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Hi Flames fans, tomorrow my firm is having a fantasy draft for the playoffs, and I am really looking to invest in Calgary players in my drafting, due to how much top end skill you guys have, and I think they are a lock to win the first round and get at least ~10-12 games in minimum. How do you guys feel about your goaltending, as far as a long run goes?

I'm leaning towards expecting at least a conference finals from CGY, but the goaltending is the only thing giving me some doubts. Would love to hear your opinions! Thanks :)

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How do you guys feel about your goaltending, as far as a long run goes?

Our goaltending is perfectly adequate. Dallas clearly has better goaltending, but outside of that it won't really affect any potential series.

If our powerplay can capitalize on its chances, we can go all the way. If the powerplay doesn't show up, then we won't go all the way. It's going to come down to whether or not our PP scores.

Reactions: filinski77

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Our goaltending is perfectly adequate. Dallas clearly has better goaltending, but outside of that it won't really affect any potential series.

If our powerplay can capitalize on its chances, we can go all the way. If the powerplay doesn't show up, then we won't go all the way. It's going to come down to whether or not our PP scores.
I agree, with a PP like the flames have, it needs to be a huge driver.

As far as the goaltending goes, I guess it's more of a worry that Smith has a sub-.900 the season, and Rittich is still not the most experienced guy, and I don't think he has any playoff experience (may be totally wrong on that one), but you gotta get experience somehow I guess (See Matt Murray)

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I agree, with a PP like the flames have, it needs to be a huge driver.

As far as the goaltending goes, I guess it's more of a worry that Smith has a sub-.900 the season, and Rittich is still not the most experienced guy, and I don't think he has any playoff experience (may be totally wrong on that one), but you gotta get experience somehow I guess (See Matt Murray)

Smith's season SV% doesn't really matter. First of all he's such a good puck handler that he's not going to see the high shot totals other goalies see. He doesn't get credited for a save every time he meets a dump-in and sends the puck up the ice with a tape-to-tape pass, but he's still very much helping his team and effectively cancelled out a potential shot right there.

Second his game wasn't very good in the first half, but it's perfectly solid in the second half. So the soft goals he was letting in back in October and November are just that - soft goals in October and November. They hurt his SV% but they don't really have much meaning in the playoffs.

You really can't just fixate on SV% in isolation, not all saves or game situations are equal. It doesn't matter if he posts an .867 SV% if he only sees fifteen shots, that would still be two goals against.

Fact of the matter is that Smith's 2.31 GAA since Jan 4 is far more indicative of his ability to prevent goals than anything else.

Reactions: filinski77

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Where do people on the main boards get that the Flames are a run and gun team?

Like, consistently outshooting, out-possessing, and out-chancing opponents really doesn’t lend itself well to that narrative imo.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Smith's season SV% doesn't really matter. First of all he's such a good puck handler that he's not going to see the high shot totals other goalies see. He doesn't get credited for a save every time he meets a dump-in and sends the puck up the ice with a tape-to-tape pass, but he's still very much helping his team and effectively cancelled out a potential shot right there.

Second his game wasn't very good in the first half, but it's perfectly solid in the second half. So the soft goals he was letting in back in October and November are just that - soft goals in October and November. They hurt his SV% but they don't really have much meaning in the playoffs.

You really can't just fixate on SV% in isolation, not all saves or game situations are equal. It doesn't matter if he posts an .867 SV% if he only sees fifteen shots, that would still be two goals against.

Fact of the matter is that Smith's 2.31 GAA since Jan 4 is far more indicative of his ability to prevent goals than anything else.
Wow, great analysis! I looked since Jan 4, and Smith has been rocking a .912 since then. Thanks for your help dude, and I think I have some reassurance now :)

Good luck in the playoffs Flames fans!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad