Series Discussion: Calgary Flames vs. Colorado Avalanche

What's the outcome of this series?

• Total voters

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Avs played very well and the Flames played very poorly. The result was a good old fashioned butt whoop. I think this team deserves 1 more chance. Unless a great deal faps into your hands ie Point for Monahan+ Which I doubt would happen.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just one more thought, why was the second pair getting the minutes they had? Were killed every time they were on the ice and yet no adjustment was made whatsoever. Hamonic in particular was just a disaster giving the puck away and reminded me so much of kris Russell in regards to his inability to move the puck out. He’s a heart and soul guy, but not a chance should this team sign him long term over Brodie.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Laughing at all the people who just voted "Avs in 5" so they can look like geniuses. You're not fooling anyone.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
A day removed from likely the largest disappointment I have had since the 80's and life as a Flames fan does not look so bad. Unlike many of teams of days gone by the core is still working its way to the peak (Other than Gio)

Player specific areas for improvement:
  • Gio - Has to work on keeping if not improving his foot speed.
  • Johnny- Mental Toughness, Quit complaining to the refs, and physically tougher to play against. Like Martin St.Louis he needs to turn those legs into tree trunks.
  • Sean, Lindholm, Jankowski - Need to take the summer playing keep away and getting stronger on the puck. Janks needs to quit being afraid of being offensive. At 6'2, 6'1 and 6'4 these three guys could use their size more effectively in protecting the puck. (Could really use lessons from a Mr. Jagr.) Calgary needs to be harder to push around.
  • Brodie - Needs to put on a little bulk while maintaining his speed so he is harder to push around and bully.
  • Hamonic - Needs to heal from a brutal season of injuries and get back to full health.
  • Hanifin- Speed and strength.
  • Neal - Needs to find more speed and rejuvenate himself.
  • Sam Bennett - Bigger meaner and more confident. (I am sold on Sam being a second line force.)
  • Chucky - Work on his skating and get bigger. I really think Peters needs to look at putting him with Lindholm and Monahan next year for a more conventional puck possession game.
  • Valimaki, Andersson - Push hard in the summer to be faster, stronger and better. These 2 d-men are going to be the first pairing of the future.
  • Kylington - Eat and sleep watching when to pinch and when not to. The most frustrating prospect. Needs to get bigger.
Coaches:
  • deep dive the game plan going into the first round.
  • split up Johnny and Mony for a large part of the season no matter the short term pain.
  • work on being heavier on the puck in the offensive end.
Tre
  • Figure out which d-men are expendable and trade for a bona fide sniper. Kessell, Hall, or somebody of that ilk.
  • Assess if Johnny has what it takes to take the Flames to a Cup (I really question his capabilities) A better option may be to trade Johnny and sign Duchene. Panarin will never sign in Calgary.
  • Sign Chucky for 8 years and Bennett for 3 years.
  • Decide what to do with Neal and Frolik.
  • See what it would take to land Lehner and if it is reasonable sign him. If not there is Mike Smith. Mike was amazing against the Av's and even if he is only good for the playoffs he is worth it.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Any proposal that involves keeping Monahan and trading Gaudreau is absolutely insane.

Monahan is the problem. He plays softer than Gaudreau and doesn't create.

Any trade involving Gaudreau is a trade the Flames lose every time.

Reactions: Dack

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I dont want Smith back...I really dont.
He played well in the playoff but it's not like he was winning. Not his fault but he let in 2 late goals.
He looked good because his teammates suck more than anything.

We need to get a real long term goalie

Reactions: Yandover

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
A day removed from likely the largest disappointment I have had since the 80's and life as a Flames fan does not look so bad. Unlike many of teams of days gone by the core is still working its way to the peak (Other than Gio)

• Johnny- Mental Toughness, Quit complaining to the refs, and physically tougher to play against. Like Martin St.Louis he needs to turn those legs into tree trunks.
  • Sean, Lindholm, Jankowski - Need to take the summer playing keep away and getting stronger on the puck. Janks needs to quit being afraid of being offensive. At 6'2, 6'1 and 6'4 these three guys could use their size more effectively in protecting the puck. (Could really use lessons from a Mr. Jagr.) Calgary needs to be harder to push around.
  • Brodie - Needs to put on a little bulk while maintaining his speed so he is harder to push around and bully.
  • Hamonic - Needs to heal from a brutal season of injuries and get back to full health.
  • Sam Bennett - Bigger meaner and more confident. (I am sold on Sam being a second line force.)
  • Chucky - Work on his skating and get bigger. I really think Peters needs to look at putting him with Lindholm and Monahan next year for a more conventional puck possession game.
  • Valimaki, Andersson - Push hard in the summer to be faster, stronger and better. These 2 d-men are going to be the first pairing of the future.
  • Kylington - Eat and sleep watching when to pinch and when not to. The most frustrating prospect. Needs to get bigger.
Coaches:
  • split up Johnny and Mony for a large part of the season no matter the short term pain.
Tre
  • Figure out which d-men are expendable and trade for a bona fide sniper. Kessell, Hall, or somebody of that ilk.
  • Assess if Johnny has what it takes to take the Flames to a Cup (I really question his capabilities) A better option may be to trade Johnny and sign Duchene. Panarin will never sign in Calgary.
  • See what it would take to land Lehner and if it is reasonable sign him. If not there is Mike Smith. Mike was amazing against the Av's and even if he is only good for the playoffs he is worth it.

Trade Arizona for Galchenyuk. Add some speed and scoring.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Any proposal that involves keeping Monahan and trading Gaudreau is absolutely insane.

Monahan is the problem. He plays softer than Gaudreau and doesn't create.

Any trade involving Gaudreau is a trade the Flames lose every time.

Yes but think positive, if we trade Johnny, we may be the favoritte for the Alexis Lafreniere cup

Seriously I agreed, they need to get Johnny some help, not to get rid of the only true offense they have.

Reactions: Dack

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016

Coaches:
Tre
oh please please please trade for hall. You'll be sure fire winners in 2 years... Oh wait you want the cup not the golden ticket on draft day. Still, please get hall, it may make bob stauffers head explode live on air.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
We aren't getting a center to match up to McD or Mack.. Only thing we can do is get another good top 6 C, which will give us better C depth, so we don't have the 3rd line getting smoked each time a guy like Mack is on the ice.

There isn't going to be major changes to the roster.. other than Brodie and Jank maybe gone, so it's going to be up to Peters to make some adjustments to the system that help neutralize the Mack type players and the speed strategy Colorado used.

Only way we are going anywhere is if the first line grows a pair, have some internal growth from young players and Peters actually develops an effective strategy for the playoffs. I'm still in shock we got killed so bad, but some of the young guys are looking pretty good (Rasmus, Vali, Mang & Dube), so I hope these guys can continue to develop.

It's really an interesting time to be a Flames fan, as we have a pretty young core and some other good young players, but our Norris Dman is 35 and this core has shown nothing when it counts.. I'd rather nuke the whole thing than make the playoffs and get booted first round each year, which is what it kind of looks like might happen without some personal/strategy changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad