Series Discussion: Calgary Flames vs. Colorado Avalanche

What's the outcome of this series?

• Total voters

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The first round is my favourite time of the year. There's a lot of really good matchups this year

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Shitty start times for those of us on Eastern time but the good news is I can watch the Leafs lose for a full 60 minutes before the Flames games start

Reactions: Sk8M8

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Frankly, the series will depend solely on Goaltending and I dont have much confidence in that. I fear Smith will drop the ball in Game 1 and then the Avs will get their chance to capitalize.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I just cannot be optimistic at any point with this team. My heart has been broken too many times and our goaltending is ripe for failures but the top line hasn't been able to outscore teams at will anymore.

Go Flames. Lets see what they got.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
For us, this series is much more dependent on team defence than goaltending. We finished 9th best in GA and that was with not great goaltending all year.

The less spectacular saves Smith has to make the better, and I have far more faith in him recently to make the saves you expect a goalie to.

I see a lot of fans on the main boards talking about how this series will be won or lost by goaltending for either team, but I just don’t see it. If the Flames play the way they’re capable of defensively Mike Smith won’t have an overly difficult job.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
For us, this series is much more dependent on team defence than goaltending. We finished 9th best in GA and that was with not great goaltending all year.

The less spectacular saves Smith has to make the better, and I have far more faith in him recently to make the saves you expect a goalie to.

I see a lot of fans on the main boards talking about how this series will be won or lost by goaltending for either team, but I just don’t see it. If the Flames play the way they’re capable of defensively Mike Smith won’t have an overly difficult job.
Calgary's depth should dominate the day both offensively and defensively. As long as the top 6 can stay on par with the Av's top 6 we will win the series easily. Grubauer is the only x-factor on what the Flames will see. He crumbled in Washington and it will be interesting to see how he handles things this year.

Reactions: Nanuuk

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
We should win this series. Though that means nothing once it starts.
I wish Arizona had made it

Vordus

May 9, 2014
Calgary
Two fast teams, should be entertaining.

This Flames team doesn't quit. If Smith is leaky then we'll just have to score 5+ goals and win that way. We've seen Calgary open it up when needed. Rittich, who doesn't seem to get rattled easily, is also a solid insurance policy against a Smith meltdown.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This is the series we see what Sean Monahan is really made of. Throw a couple slices in the toaster and heat it up baby.

This is very true, I also think that these playoffs will, go a really go way in determining the future of this core.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Home ice could be an advantage in that regard.

MacKinnon-Rantanen vs Backlund:
42:34
40.88% CF
38.84% SCF
36.36% HDCF
1 GF
6 GA

MacKinnon-Rantanen vs Monahan:
62.11% CF
58.03% SCF
63.98% HDCF
2 GF
1 GA

Basically, if we keep 3M attached to the the MacKinnon line, we should have the advantage on paper. I also expect the Monahan line to be able to check them better, but it might take a few games to build a rhythm.

Reactions: tmurfin

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Flames in 6 show us your t**s
mybody.jpg

Reactions: Sk8M8

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Good luck folks. I’m an Avs fan who is very respectful of other team’s fans. However once this series begins I may become an insufferable homer who thinks my team is entitled to every favorable call and play in existence.

Please accept my friendliness over the next few days before I enter your blocked lists on Thursday.

For reals doe, good luck!

Don't listen to this guy. This shitter's full... of it :sarcasm:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Watched this earlier. Pretty good overview, although I'll say that he skated over the Flames bottom 6 which has been tearing it up for the last 3-4 weeks (the fourth line, anyways). If DAG continue to be a force then they could be a huge trump card for the Flames in this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad