Three stars vs. Calgary - February 9

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This Winnipeg game is going to be interesting as they are a heavier team in general. Should be interesting how the speed and transition game they showed tonight fares.

It's always a very heavy forecheck with these guys and they're a really good team this year.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yeah that game is going to be a really rude reminder to the "Hey! We can still make a run at the playoffs" crowd.
Yep I admit i'm one of those that can't and won't give up on my team when they are behind a couple of teams by a couple of points with 27 games left. I would rather see them play hard and continue to let these young kids play and see what happens. I'm not blind to the fact we most likely lose sunday.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yep I admit i'm one of those that can't and won't give up on my team when they are behind a couple of teams by a couple of points with 27 games left. I would rather see them play hard and continue to let these young kids play and see what happens. I'm not blind to the fact we most likely lose sunday.

I wasn't singling you out btw.

Reactions: bl02

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I have no problem with that as long as they get something good back for Nash and Grabner and something at all for Holden at the deadline. Those guys have to go--the Rangers need the assets they're going to bring back.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Winnipegs has 73 pts - maybe one of the strongest team in the league right now with Tampa. And we won vs Tampa - so all is possible. If the Mika line can get it going and they played well in the last 20 min. anything can happen on sunday!

Reactions: EdJovanovski

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Winnipegs has 73 pts - maybe one of the strongest team in the league right now with Tampa. And we won vs Tampa - so all is possible. If the Mika line can get it going and they played well in the last 20 min. anything can happen on sunday!
guy why you push this? we tanking :laugh: seriously tho we might be able to steal a wild card spot even tho id rather miss the PO this season

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I have no problem with that as long as they get something good back for Nash and Grabner and something at all for Holden at the deadline. Those guys have to go--the Rangers need the assets they're going to bring back.
Agreed I said this same exact thing a few weeks ago. I would be very very happy somehow getting a 2 extra first rounders in a very good upcoming draft along with a prospect like fabbro. Obviously more if we traded away miller or zucc or Mcdonagh.
At the same time continuing to compete and see what happens.
If tanking was a reality i would obviously be on board with this team getting a Dahlin or a Svechnikov but thats about as much a reality (actually less) then us actually making the playoffs.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
But they are not tanking @ZiGOODejad - it`s obvious they would never get 2 pts tonight if they did not care, right?
Jeff Gorton said we are going to get younger with a rebuild and that`s fine, but that do not translate for instant tank rest of the season as Glen Sather hinted we might reach the playoffs! :)

And if we can get Henrik & Nash hot again on a streak end of this season and our injuries back - they have a great chance to get into playoffs.

My point is I dislike tanking or playing to lose games, because of a lottery race for Rasmus D. - and if we are not good enough this year or lack points end of this season, and that is based mainly on injuries, but that is fine, and I enjoy the game when they at least try to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
@Ori The effort was definitely there tonight, but its rarely ever there this season. This could have been a game in response to the FO but then again either way we're missing 2 top line players a middle six guy and 3 key defensemen if we make the PO thats good but i still think we should sell hard come the deadline

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, the effort has not always been there this season, but B. Smith is sent down based on effort level and unprepared beginning of this season, and it was a good call to get Pionk up from Wolfpack, and he should be here sooner in my opinion. But it`s hard to predict, but I enjoy a win for what it`s even though if we lose on sunday based on our injuries. And that`s the main reason - the core are mostly the same as previous years and it`s a good reason we`ve been a playoffs team for so many years now.

I won`t be here on HF on sunday hoping that Rangers lose vs Pegs. We`ve good enough players who can steal games even against better teams on paper like the Winnipeg.

Reactions: bl02

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Anything is possible--though keep in mind we beat Tampa with a healthy and stable and somewhat confident lineup....and maybe it wasn't their best night. This Rangers team is pretty fragile and there are several players out including our best defenseman and some guys already know their days are numbered. It's quite a different situation. Still if we can somehow still manage to win on Sunday that would be really something.

I'm not counting on it though.

One of the best things that could come out of this is we find out about some of these young guys and they find out about themselves. Even losing often (if they stick around for a while) there will be lessons they can take into the off season that will help them prepare for next year. Judging just off one game I'm kind of excited about what Pionk might bring to our team next season.

Reactions: Ori

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Pretty exiting game all round tonight. So happy for Hank. He showed what he is all about tonight, and what he's done for us for years. Loved that save on the short handed breakaway! Hanktastic!

Reactions: belford222 and Ori

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Better game all around but once again Lundqvist is the only reason for a W. Team is still a lottery team this year without him. And nice to see some youth getting to play and play well.

Calgary is so overhyped too. Just not that good. Even Johnny Hockey doesn’t really impress me.

I find Johnny Hockey touch overrated tbh.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
By the way, what happened to Pavelec? I skipped over the beginning of the 2nd and the first couple of times I heard Lundqvist’s name, I just thought Sam was saying it out of habit.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Actually I hope Brendan Smith comes back better prepared for next season too--(that's if we don't or can't move him). Hopefully a bit chastened. IMO there are times that he tries to do more than he can pull off and that was on display on the first goal that Boston scored the other night. You could see his screwup about to happen 3 or 4 seconds before it did. I've seen him do dumb shit like that before--forcing a play that's not there and then falling on his ass. He needs to understand he is not that talented---that he needs to keep his game simpler. To take care of his own end of the ice first and foremost. Staal gets it. He needs to get it. He can still IMO be a serviceable 5-6 guy or on a good day a stay at home second pairing guy. I like his grit though too often he takes dumb ass penalties. I like that he has the character to stand up for teammates--there are not many on our team that will--so I haven't completely given up on him but he needs to get his act together.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
By the way, what happened to Pavelec? I skipped over the beginning of the 2nd and the first couple of times I heard Lundqvist’s name, I just thought Sam was saying it out of habit.

He was complaining about his knee apparently to Lundqvist at the end of the first which is why Henrik replaced him. We might be seeing Georgiev pretty soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad