Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I can't wait for the "lotto gods screwed us out of Heiskanen" posts next year...

Miro's further along and developed faster than Makar thus far, why should that suddenly stop at the NHL level? Next season should be all about getting his feet wet and letting him start to figure the NHL out & set himself up to take over in year 2.

These type of things will always be said here. Often from those that let their bias color their views so much, they just start making things up that aren't true.

That's why people need to counter these ideas with verifyable facts and rationale analysis like you did in your last sentence. Otherwise people just repeat the same narrative over and over, sometimes almost every day, and others slowly start to get drunk on the kool aid, because they're not informed enough to know otherwise.

A few of us made the same kind of comment in response to those saying he needed to dominate this year with UMASS to prove his worth. He didn't, he just needed to keep improving. He ended up dominating anyway though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How do you know that until Makar plays? You don’t.

I never said it would happen. I just said Makar could very easily need some time to adjust to the jump in competition the way he has at previous levels...and that's not a problem or a bad thing if it does end up being the case. Cale is a late bloomer who's had to make some massive jumps in terms of level of competition since being drafted, whether he needs some time to adapt to the next jump doesn't matter as long as he is allowed to adapt at his own pace & become the stud he's capable of being once he figures it out.
Seeing Makar in the NCAA this year has made me think he'll transfer right into a top 4 role next year. He's hit a whole new level in college, and with a little while to build confidence I think he's going to be meteoric in his rise up the ranks next season. Probably not Calder territory but he's going to end up being good.

Don't forget that he needed an entire NCAA season + offseason to adjust to the jump in level to become that dominant force that he had the talent to be the moment he stepped on campus. That's why I'm not going to be disappointed if he needs half the season of getting his feet wet...or even a full season + offseason...before things start clicking for him and he doesn't just explode out of the gates like Chabot or Heiskanen.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's okay to get excited about the kid, why not? I'm fairly confident he will be placed in a sheltered 3rd pairing role and his play will dictate where he goes from there.

I'm pretty sure this is a big reason why Cole was brought in. He's struggled in the second half this year, but I think he can still be good at mentoring a young D man in a lesser role.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I'm pretty sure this is a big reason why Cole was brought in. He's struggled in the second half this year, but I think he can still be good at mentoring a young D man in a lesser role.

Hopefully he omits throwing questionable hits, and especially fighting Tom Wilsons’ fists with your face from the hypothetical Makar Lesson Plan.

In seriousness, I agree with your post.

Reactions: arun and Foppa2118

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Seriously cannot wait for this kid to join the team next year. I'm even more excited for him then the potential thought of Hughes/Kakko joining the team next year.

He is going to completely revitalize this franchise and will be the piece that truly puts us over the edge going forward. Maybe not as soon as next year(Although it honestly wouldn't surprise me), but give him a year or two to adjust to the NHL speed and style like he adjusted to college and he will be challenging Mackinnon for best player on this team.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Seriously cannot wait for this kid to join the team next year. I'm even more excited for him then the potential thought of Hughes/Kakko joining the team next year.

He is going to completely revitalize this franchise and will be the piece that truly puts us over the edge going forward. Maybe not as soon as next year(Although it honestly wouldn't surprise me), but give him a year or two to adjust to the NHL speed and style like he adjusted to college and he will be challenging Mackinnon for best player on this team.

I mean, I agree with a lot of this but I’d never say it aloud. You’re welcome RiaL

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I'm not very familiar with University hockey but I think UMass lost in the semi-final against Boston. Does that mean his team is eliminated ? Haven't heard anything saying that Makar can now make the jump in the NHL. Thanks for clarifying this up for me guys.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I'm not very familiar with University hockey but I think UMass lost in the semi-final against Boston. Does that mean his team is eliminated ? Haven't heard anything saying that Makar can now make the jump in the NHL. Thanks for clarifying this up for me guys.

It was their conference tournament. UMass has qualified for the national tournament, so he still has to play in that. Brackets will be unveiled tonight, tournament starts next Thursday. If/when they lose in that his season will be over.

Reactions: Spilot23

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

He can sign his ELC once his college season is over. However I don't think he will due to the fact that if we wait he will be ED exempt.

Reactions: Spilot23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad