Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No you don't. You really don't.

tenor.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It is based in the idea that you have to be 18 to play in the NHL.

Makar doesn't get the 11 games because his waiver age is 20, Hughes gets it because his waiver age is 19 even though his signing age is 20.

The one thing that's still not clear to me is why playing for the Eagles on an ATO wouldn't count as a professional game for the purposes of banking a professional season. I've not found anything that would dispute that, so it seems to definitely be the case, but I'm not sure how the actual mechanics work there. Is that just a specific exception written into the CBA for "tryout' contracts?

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
The one thing that's still not clear to me is why playing for the Eagles on an ATO wouldn't count as a professional game for the purposes of banking a professional season. I've not found anything that would dispute that, so it seems to definitely be the case, but I'm not sure how the actual mechanics work there. Is that just a specific exception written into the CBA for "tryout' contracts?

I assume it has to do with not making money and therefore retaining "amateur" status.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

An ATO a player doesn't get paid beyond basic reimbursements. A PTO allows the player to be paid ____ per game. If Makar signed for 19-20, then signs an ATO with the Eagles, it wouldn't be professional games.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I assume it has to do with not making money and therefore retaining "amateur" status.

That's my assumption; that it's just an exception written into the CBA to make those Amateur-TryOut deals not impinge on a player's amateur status...but don't they actually get paid on an AHL- or ECHL-ATO?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
An ATO a player doesn't get paid beyond basic reimbursements. A PTO allows the player to be paid ____ per game. If Makar signed for 19-20, then signs an ATO with the Eagles, it wouldn't be professional games.

Ah, I was definitely mixing some of the PTO & ATO stuff up in my head then. I thought ATOs also allowed a player to get paid as long as it wasn't an emergency NHL-ATO.

Reactions: Barklez

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

So can Makar sign an ATO with the AHL and play in those playoffs?

Without making him expansion draft eligible?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So can Makar sign an ATO with the AHL and play in those playoffs?

Without making him expansion draft eligible?

Yep. He can even sign his ELC, as long as it's for the 2019-2020 season, before signing the ATO & joining the Eagles.
Why would he? He has zero protection if he gets injured. If he signs, it's going to be his ELC, not a tryout.

It wouldn't be an actual tryout, he would sign his ELC for next season and then get some AHL games in to better prepare himself for the summer & the season to come.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHBREWER

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Its very difficult not to get geek'd up about this kid. Aside from his skills he seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. Anyone who has the balls to say no to Team Canada because he already gave his word to a College is alright in my books.
Also said no to Sakic offering him Elc. For a young kid being offered big money for the first time, turning down his elc and bonuses and putting off his paycheck in favor of proper development.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Also said no to Sakic offering him Elc. For a young kid being offered big money for the first time, turning down his elc and bonuses and putting off his paycheck in favor of proper development.
From all the comments it seems like they agreed on at least 2 years at college and Makar kept his promise. Seems to be a very loyal kid which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad