Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Yes, Stefan was definitely hyped, he was taller and had that crazy wrist shot. I remember people hoping that Cumiskey would keep developing as he made quite a bit of progress between the WHL and the AHL. Unfortunately, Elliot was horrified of contact and Cumiskey just didn't have enough tools.
Cumiskey couldn't do anything but skate and smile. I loved him.

Also...

Kyle+Cumiskey+2015+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+Game+-pKhVz4hpy9l.jpg

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
He managed to carve out a great NHL career.

Weren't Elliot and Cumiskey regarded higher than Barrie around when they were all prospects? Maybe it was one end to end skating play by Cumiskey. Or just the jokes with his name.

Elliot made Shatty disposable, or so HF said. There were 1-2 that had a hunch Barrie would be the better NHLer out of him and Elliot but it was not the majority.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
I thought Elliott was going to be better, also Thought Nigel Willams was going to be very good. ouch if we traded Shatty based on Elliott Good thing everything worked out.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I thought Elliott was going to be better, also Thought Nigel Willams was going to be very good. ouch if we traded Shatty based on Elliott Good thing everything worked out.
IIRC we traded shatty in the hopes that either one of Elliott or Barrie could make up for his offense. In retrospect it was a good gamble considering that Barrie panned out for us but at the time it was a gamble. After all these years I still really don't know how I feel about that trade. I really liked Shattenkirk.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
IIRC we traded shatty in the hopes that either one of Elliott or Barrie could make up for his offense. In retrospect it was a good gamble considering that Barrie panned out for us but at the time it was a gamble. After all these years I still really don't know how I feel about that trade. I really liked Shattenkirk.
Was shattys skating ability better at one point I remember a few games and he seemed quicker and more agile did he sustain and knee injuries?>

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Injuries have definitely taken a toll on Shatty. The Rangers also royally screwed up in not recognizing that, like Barrie, he needs to be sheltered and deployed a certain way in order to work. It's also on Shatty himself not at all realizing just how good he had it in St. Louis.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Was shattys skating ability better at one point I remember a few games and he seemed quicker and more agile did he sustain and knee injuries?>
Injuries have kind of done him in. He was a great skater for most of his time with us and in STL. Man could quarterback a PP and did just that with the Blues for years.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
i thought so. kinda off topic but i kinda see that prob with barrie but not near as bad is it just me or did he use to be faster with better acceleration angles i remember his rookie year he seemed be be able to slip right past the opposition

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Injuries have definitely taken a toll on Shatty. The Rangers also royally screwed up in not recognizing that, like Barrie, he needs to be sheltered and deployed a certain way in order to work. It's also on Shatty himself not at all realizing just how good he had it in St. Louis.
He had it good there, but I doubt he was ever in St. Louis' plans long term. Pietrangelo/Parayko on the right side complicated things, and I don't see any of Pietrangelo, Parayko, or Shattenkirk moving to the left willingly.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

He's been playing exclusively 3rd pairing minutes and PP duty and he still sucks. He's as sheleted as they can. Not fair to blame the Rangers.

He's just another guy on the loooooong list of UFA's who started being bad the day after signing their contract.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs drafting has always been spotty. Here are some first round picks from Avs golden age. Only 1998 with Tanguay, Skoula and Regehr interrupted this string of failures.

1996 (25th overall) Peter Ratchuk
1997 (26th overall) Kevin Grimes
1999 (25th overall) Mikhail Kuleshov
2000 (14th overall) Vaclav Nedorost
2001 - no first round pick
2002 (28th overall) Jonas Johansson

Perhaps easier to live with when Quebec as a final gift gave Avs Drury and Hejduk in rounds 3-4 in their final draft.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He's been playing exclusively 3rd pairing minutes and PP duty and he still sucks. He's as sheleted as they can. Not fair to blame the Rangers.

Oh I absolutely can and will blame the Rangers. They're my "other" team.

They absolutely did not shelter him when he first arrived in NY. He was put on the top pairing to start. Even when they finally realized their mistake they simply didn't have the talent necessary to shelter him. Brendan Smith ended up being waived and demoted not one year into his lucrative extension, McDonagh was traded away, and while Tony DeAngelo has legit top-four talent, he's a complete headcase. They traded away Derek Stepan to clear cap room to sign Shattenkirk even though they really didn't have the depth to sacrifice. No matter which way you cut it, management bungled things about as bad as you could, and they had no choice but to wave the white flag and dismantle. The Rangers never should have signed him, and Shatty never should have left STL. I don't have a ton of sympathy for either party there.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

They absolutely did not shelter him when he first arrived in NY. He was put on the top pairing to start. Even when they finally realized their mistake they simply didn't have the talent necessary to shelter him. Brendan Smith ended up being waived and demoted not one year into his lucrative extension, McDonagh was traded away, and while Tony DeAngelo has legit top-four talent, he's a complete headcase. They traded away Derek Stepan to clear cap room to sign Shattenkirk even though they really didn't have the depth to sacrifice. No matter which way you cut it, management bungled things about as bad as you could, and they had no choice but to wave the white flag and dismantle. The Rangers never should have signed him, and Shatty never should have left STL. I don't have a ton of sympathy for either party there.

We should be thankful the Rangers did all they could to get Shatty otherwise we may be hindered with his massively bloated contract.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I agree that he had no business signing there but he reportedly left money and term on the table because he wanted to be a Ranger. At the time of the signing people were expecting a much bigger contract if you remember correctly. Sounds like it was a case of a player wanting to play for a specific team and the team simply agreeing to it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Funny how players throw themselves at Rangers in free agency and then Rangers have no qualms about trading them as soon as it's beneficial for the team.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree that he had no business signing there but he reportedly left money and term on the table because he wanted to be a Ranger. At the time of the signing people were expecting a much bigger contract if you remember correctly. Sounds like it was a case of a player wanting to play for a specific team and the team simply agreeing to it.

Yep, and both sides now regret it. While he left a lot of money on the table, it's not like he signed for nothing. If he really wanted to play at a discount for his childhood team he should've done what Kariya and Selanne did with the Avs and signed for cheap for one season. Then if it didn't work out, he could go elsewhere for decent coin.

And it's not like the Rangers just out of the blue had Shattenkirk show up at their doorstep and said "Oh, you want to sign with us? Sure!" They still had to clear cap room to do it and made themselves worse up front in order to do so. Both sides screwed up plenty.

Parker27

Aug 3, 2005
Montana
Avs drafting has always been spotty. Here are some first round picks from Avs golden age. Only 1998 with Tanguay, Skoula and Regehr interrupted this string of failures.

1996 (25th overall) Peter Ratchuk
1997 (26th overall) Kevin Grimes
1999 (25th overall) Mikhail Kuleshov
2000 (14th overall) Vaclav Nedorost
2001 - no first round pick
2002 (28th overall) Jonas Johansson

Perhaps easier to live with when Quebec as a final gift gave Avs Drury and Hejduk in rounds 3-4 in their final draft.
How could you forget Parker also in 98'. I know just had to throw that in there.

Quebec paved the way for the glory years.
Sakic
Foote
Deadmarsh
Hejduk
Drury
Yelle

Not to mention Nolan, Sundin, Lindros who got traded for really good parts of those teams.

Still would of loved to see Lindros on the avalanche. Prime Lindros vs prime Foppa discussion for another time.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How could you forget Parker also in 98'. I know just had to throw that in there.

Quebec paved the way for the glory years.
Sakic
Foote
Deadmarsh
Hejduk
Drury
Yelle

Not to mention Nolan, Sundin, Lindros who got traded for really good parts of those teams.

Still would of loved to see Lindros on the avalanche. Prime Lindros vs prime Foppa discussion for another time.

Nords' rebuild under Pierre Pagé was painful but done masterfully. Pagé never gets any credit but he's the one who built most of the '96 cup team and it wasn't an easy road. Lacroix got in there at the end to reap the rewards.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Elliot made Shatty disposable, or so HF said. There were 1-2 that had a hunch Barrie would be the better NHLer out of him and Elliot but it was not the majority.

We weren't the majority, but there was more than 1 or 2 of us that were team Tyson at the time. He had that swagger even after starting to get hit by AHLers.

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad