Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rantanen The Goat

Nov 20, 2018
The questions started when he was in the AJHL. He's answered those questions with his play but he hasn't had enough exposure really to change the perception yet.

3 blocks and 5 takeaways in 20 mins of ice in an elimination game (his 3rd NHL game) changes my perception quite a bit. He had a few blocks and takeaways in his other games too.

Reactions: avsfan09

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
CapFriendly tweets out the interesting performance bonus structure of Makar’s deal, which includes a $25,000 bonus for playing in five playoff games, a $107,500 bonus for playing in his tenth playoff game, and a $787,500 bonus for winning the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP.

He's got 110k riding on a 7 game series or a 3rd round.

Motivation

tenor (2).gif

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
3 blocks and 5 takeaways in 20 mins of ice in an elimination game (his 3rd NHL game) changes my perception quite a bit. He had a few blocks and takeaways in his other games too.
One shift he blocked like 3 in a row and got a clear. He also has a lightning quick stick for takeaways. He can take puck off a guy and move it before the guys aware haha

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Given the debut, I'm thinking the Avs really did pick the best player in that draft. I had wanted Heiskanen.

I wanted Heiskanen too but I keep telling people to wait before comparing them. We'll be evaluating the two of them for years to come, but Makar has the potential to be the best player in the draft, let alone better than Heiskanen.

It will be fun to watch him develop, and improve in multiple areas. You can just tell by his demeanor that he's gonna work his ass off to improve in every area that needs it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That top 5 is looking solid. Im happy we got Makar but im not sure I take Makar over Miro.

Way too early to know for sure, but it could come down to a situation where Makar is really good offensively, and good defensively, while Miro is good offensively, and really good defensively.

In that situation I think you got to give the edge to the offensive guy who's good defensively.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I wanted Heiskanen too but I keep telling people to wait before comparing them. We'll be evaluating the two of them for years to come, but Makar has the potential to be the best player in the draft, let alone better than Heiskanen.

It will be fun to watch him develop, and improve in multiple areas. You can just tell by his demeanor that he's gonna work his ass off to improve in every area that needs it.

This. It's obvious the kid's ceiling is sky high and there is no doubt whatsoever that he will be a force to contend with. He already is. What he has already achieved is remarkable as has the entire team.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014

This. Kids already a true pro. I have no doubts his interviews are why he was looked as #1 overall on some teams draft boards. He just oozes “I’m here to play hockey for the next 20 years of my life... and I couldn’t care less about anything that doesn’t make me a better hockey player.” Very few kids with that talent level have that mentality. The ones that do, have special careers.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If by some weird reason the Eagles are still playing if/when the Avs get eliminated, is Makar eligible to play for them?

I believe so. Since he wasn't under contract earlier he didn't need to be on the AHL roster back in march(?) to qualify for the AHL-playoffs. So he should be able to join them like any late-season NCAA-signee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad