Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I agree 100% but the need for forwards is so big that I'm really leaning towards Turcotte but would not mind a Byram picrok at all. I think that both players have huge upside. I can't wait for the draft just to see who we have to wait for lol. What is Byram's deal with NCAA? Is he at least AHL ready and or willing to go that route?

Yeah, I'd understand drafting Turcotte based on need and that's fine. However, I was thinking more along the lines of it frees the Avs to trade Barrie for F help and helps avoid a large hit to the cap on his next deal. I'm fine with keeping Barrie though. I'll have to defer your questions to SEPH or cgf or henchman.

Reactions: Tommy G

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
His nickname will be "Norris" in a few years. Kid is worth the price of admission, and he hasn't really even had a chance to play that well, yet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He did not look like an NHL defenceman last night at all. Tonnes of mistakes.

He didn't have tons of mistakes he had a few, and he recovered well on most of them.

Also, you're comparing him to other rookie defenseman that started in entirely different sitautions. Defenseman that are often older than 20, almost always had tons of practices with their team, a full training camp, a full pre-season, some regular season games at a slower pace, and in a lot of cases some AHL seasoning.

There's no reason to fret over Makar's handful of mistakes where he misjudged how quickly the opposition would jump on him. He jumped straight from college to game 3 of the NHL playoffs against the best regular season team in the Western Conference.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
He did not look like an NHL defenceman last night at all. Tonnes of mistakes.
Thought he looked great and the mass of highlights floating around somewhat prove your statement incorrect. Gotta keep it in perspective, his 2nd NHL game and all.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I agree 100% but the need for forwards is so big that I'm really leaning towards Turcotte but would not mind a Byram pick at all. I think that both players have huge upside. I can't wait for the draft just to see who we have to wait for lol. What is Byram's deal with NCAA? Is he at least AHL ready and or willing to go that route?
Byram plays in the WHL, he's not NCAA or AHL eligible.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That’s just how Makar plays though. We all know Nemeth sucks and we don’t want Makar to pass it to him but if he’s the most logical, open option Makar is going to use him.

Makar is so dynamic yet he rarely tries to overdue it. That’s what I love with him. He’s not a guy who tries a stretch pass every single time he gets the puck because he’s good at it. He’s a guy who is successful on almost all his stretch passes because he makes them only when it’s a good option.

Yeah I've been impressed with his willingness to make the simple play since the WJSS after we drafted him. It is what changed my mind about his potential two-way ability. I've been saying forever that he isn't all risk vs reward. Which is a tag hes had for a while because people like Pronman won't get off of it even to this day.

Hes definitely more Doughty than EK.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Byram plays in the WHL, he's not NCAA or AHL eligible.
So I'm confused a little here. Why can't he play for the Eagles? I didn't know that playing in the WHL made it where they were not able to play in the AHL. Is it just the WHL? Rants played for a pro team and played in the AHL for a season so that is why I'm a little confused here

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
Players that have played in the CHL while still young enough to continue playing there cannot play in the AHL. It’s an agreement of some sort between the CHL and AHL that doesn’t exist with the European leagues.

Reactions: McMetal

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Players that have played in the CHL while still young enough to continue playing there cannot play in the AHL. It’s an agreement of some sort between the CHL and AHL that doesn’t exist with the European leagues.

This. And since Byram isn't a late birthday, he'll need two more seasons in the CHL before he can play in the AHL.

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
This. And since Byram isn't a late birthday, he'll need two more seasons in the CHL before he can play in the AHL.
And as a top draft pick, I would be very surprised if he even plays that second year in the CHL. No way does Byram see AHL time, unless he busts of course.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The CHL/NHL agreement is for ticket sales, which is how these junior teams survive. These teams (along with NCAA teams) go through drastic changes annually and one year you might find yourself having one of the best junior teams of all time with Windsor Spitfires with Taylor Hall and the next you're in the basement such as @Pokecheque 's Lincoln Stars are.

Think about if the Giants lost Byram to the AHL next season? Their team pretty goes from a WHL title candidate to a run-of-the-pack wildcard team in the matter of a day.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Think about if the Giants lost Byram to the AHL next season? Their team pretty goes from a WHL title candidate to a run-of-the-pack wildcard team in the matter of a day.
Isn't that just part of hockey though?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I've been impressed with his willingness to make the simple play since the WJSS after we drafted him. It is what changed my mind about his potential two-way ability. I've been saying forever that he isn't all risk vs reward. Which is a tag hes had for a while because people like Pronman won't get off of it even to this day.

Hes definitely more Doughty than EK.

I think he’s more Keith than Doughty. But yes he’s definitely not the “small OFD dman” rep that follows him around.

Reactions: MarkT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Isn't that just part of hockey though?
No doubt, but they try to minimize those dramatic shifts in talent by stabilizing it with introducing that 17 to 19 year old rule. Of course then players/agents find loopholes like when Euro teams "loan" out players to the CHL that have a CHL out-clause in their contract yet can be eligible for the AHL next season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There was a time when Barrie's shot wasn't All That either. He's worked on it and learned how to get it through traffic. I've seen some of Cale's bombs from the point. It may not necessarily be a cannon but it should be more than adequate.

I'd argue EJ's shot is "heavier" than Barrie's but he's just never learned to get it through traffic.

Up until a couple years ago too, when Barrie was around 25. It wasn't that heavy early on, and it got blocked a lot. Plenty of time for Makar to improve his shot.

He has a very good slapper, it's just inconsistent. Which isn't that out of the ordinary for his age. If any player has it in them to improve on their inconsistencies, it's Makar.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Did you guys know he grew up a Flames fan? The media never mentioned it before so I just heard about it. Wild stuff.

Reactions: Barklez

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
A stupid thought just occurred to me. They probably named him Cale because Cale + Gary ~~ Calgary

That'd be hilarious if true. :laugh:

According to Gary Makar, he worked with Cale Hulse for some advertising work for the Flames, and ended up liking him and his name, so the family ended up naming their first kid after the guy. Ryan Clark did an article in The Athletic about it, you should read it if you have the subscription.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, Cale's middle name is "Douglas."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad