Cale Makar Calder Favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Makar is excellent and will very likely, if the present trends continue, run away with the Calder. However, last night was all about MacKinnon and not Makar. He was getting assists when he basically all he did was pass the puck off to MacKinnon in his own zone and then Mackinnon raced thru everything to get a goal or set someone up. There was little dynamic about how Makar was getting his points - just get the puck to MacKinnon and get out of the way. Best assist was on the pass to Kadri but the rest had little to nothing to do with Makar play making. MacKinnon had an outstanding game and Makar was the beneficiary.

Far as Hughes goes, he has been outstanding for the Canucks. In many cases, he has had to create the play and then hope some forward could take advantage of the situation. Indeed, watching some of the Canucks flub Hughes's feeds is disheartening. Canucks have nothing close to MacKinnon and would be interesting to see what would happen if Makar and Hughes switched teams. Also Hughes play in his own zone has been unexpectedly decent and maybe as good as Makar's.

That said, I doubt that if I was Colorado, I would trade Makar for Hughes. Long term, Makar will be a game controller and not sure Hughes will attain Makar's long term potential. But that is open to question.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Makar is excellent and will very likely, if the present trends continue, run away with the Calder. However, last night was all about MacKinnon and not Makar. He was getting assists when he basically all he did was pass the puck off to MacKinnon in his own zone and then Mackinnon raced thru everything to get a goal or set someone up. There was little dynamic about how Makar was getting his points - just get the puck to MacKinnon and get out of the way. Best assist was on the pass to Kadri but the rest had little to nothing to do with Makar play making. MacKinnon had an outstanding game and Makar was the beneficiary.

Far as Hughes goes, he has been outstanding for the Canucks. In many cases, he has had to create the play and then hope some forward could take advantage of the situation. Indeed, watching some of the Canucks flub Hughes's feeds is disheartening. Canucks have nothing close to MacKinnon and would be interesting to see what would happen if Makar and Hughes switched teams. Also Hughes play in his own zone has been unexpectedly decent and maybe as good as Makar's.

That said, I doubt that if I was Colorado, I would trade Makar for Hughes. Long term, Makar will be a game controller and not sure Hughes will attain Makar's long term potential. But that is open to question.
Makar is great at picking up points. The Avs have him out with Mackinnon as much as possible. 2/4 of his points were primary.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017

Well, firstly, lots of dMen in the league get assists for nothing more than passing the puck to a star player. That's not unique-to-Makar situation. But I'm not totally in agreement that all he did was "pass the puck off." That might have been the case in OT, where it was over in 30 seconds, but there were lots of plays kept alive by passing back and forth and keeping the puck in the zone long enough for MacK to do his thing. He's a rookie on a team with one of the best forwards in the league, so he definitely defers a lot and gets those primary/secondary assists, but if you've watched him play... he's got elite level offensive skills and has shown those in several games already.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don't care what you think. It's clear you don't watch him play enough or are insecure of young players on other teams. Your whole post shows your lack of knowledge been so and has been ever since this season has started. The fact that you seriously believe Hughes lacks creativity on the powerplay shows enough evidence to my point.
I thought it was clear that the last comment was only in regards to the one game. If I didn’t, my mistake. Of course Hughes is a PP QB wizard. It was clear he would be since he was, like, 16. Did you follow him then, before he came to you team? Or did you make all of your judgements after the Canucks’ brass called out his name?

I’m not insecure about any young players. I don’t know what this means, really. And I really wish you’d stop using the tired old “you don’t watch him play.” It’s pathetic and entirely impossible to prove either way; what’s to say you watch any Canucks games? I live in Canada. I love hockey. I especially love Hockey Night in Canada. Vancouver regularly features on the late game. I was a big fan throughout the Luongo days, adore the Sedins and prime Burrows, and think Pettersson is one of the absolute best players in the league. I would rather have him than Matthews.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He is really heating up lately.
Once the Avs get healthy I think he’ll keep improving. Right now it’s Mack/Makar driving the production. Rantanen will be a huge help

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-17_23-14-1.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-17_23-14-1.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 5
  • upload_2019-11-17_23-14-1.png
    upload_2019-11-17_23-14-1.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 3

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I thought it was clear that the last comment was only in regards to the one game. If I didn’t, my mistake. Of course Hughes is a PP QB wizard. It was clear he would be since he was, like, 16. Did you follow him then, before he came to you team? Or did you make all of your judgements after the Canucks’ brass called out his name?

I’m not insecure about any young players. I don’t know what this means, really. And I really wish you’d stop using the tired old “you don’t watch him play.” It’s pathetic and entirely impossible to prove either way; what’s to say you watch any Canucks games? I live in Canada. I love hockey. I especially love Hockey Night in Canada. Vancouver regularly features on the late game. I was a big fan throughout the Luongo days, adore the Sedins and prime Burrows, and think Pettersson is one of the absolute best players in the league. I would rather have him than Matthews.

He was also creative in his passes during that game as well so nice try tho.

Ofcourse you are insecure about Hughes specifically. Right by the time Hughes started playing the first game of his first season, you were adamant on your BS thoughts on his defensive game esp whenever he had a bad or off-game. First person to criticicize him, and are objectively so bad that you overlook or dismiss anytime he has a good game. You're an opportunist and that's more pathetic any thing. The kid had 2 points and was good, yet you feel he was a major reason the PP was so bad this game. Pathetic.

The fact is Hughes changed the outlook of the powerplay when he took Edler's spot.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He was also creative in his passes during that game as well so nice try tho.

Ofcourse you are insecure about Hughes specifically. Right by the time Hughes started playing the first game of his first season, you were adamant on your BS thoughts on his defensive game esp whenever he had a bad or off-game. First person to criticicize him, and are objectively so bad that you overlook or dismiss anytime he has a good game. You're an opportunist and that's more pathetic any thing. The kid had 2 points and was good, yet you feel he was a major reason the PP was so bad this game. Pathetic.

The fact is Hughes changed the outlook of the powerplay when he took Edler's spot.
And it’s exactly because of posts like this why I’m here doing the lord’s work, so to speak. A large contingent of certain Hughes fans are demonstrating themselves completely incapable of accepting that he has any weaknesses, or even anything less than great strengths, in his game. This is why I state that he is overrated; by this vocal contingent. In my time on these forums, all Avs fans had and have no problem discussing Makar’s flaws, even bringing them up themselves.

Have you ever considered that you may be the biased one in discussion of your own team’s player?

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
As is customary, please consider the rookie D playing the most ice time per game surviving against tough competition! Ethan Bear!

Like Brodin and others before him, I demand you give him respect in the Calder conversation!

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
And it’s exactly because of posts like this why I’m here doing the lord’s work, so to speak. A large contingent of certain Hughes fans are demonstrating themselves completely incapable of accepting that he has any weaknesses, or even anything less than great strengths, in his game. This is why I state that he is overrated; by this vocal contingent. In my time on these forums, all Avs fans had and have no problem discussing Makar’s flaws, even bringing them up themselves.

Have you ever considered that you may be the biased one in discussion of your own team’s player?

No, speak for yourself only. Suggesting you're doing lord's work when it comes to downplay Hughes's game is just laughable. A large portion of Hughes fans have shown they are intelligent enough to know where he needs to work on. Unlike you they don't go around being so negatively fixated on a rookie playing his first season in the game. I remember you bumped a hughes thread up and made a large one sided biased approach to his play. This shows you are an opportunist.

Nope, because I prefer to be not too critical of a rookie playing his first season in the league. I'll dish that question back at you.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018

It's hard for most teams to have someone equivalent to Mackinnon, but come on you have Elias Petterson and Brock Boeser. This Canucks team is not devoid of talent for Hughes to play with like it use to be.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It's hard for most teams to have someone equivalent to Mackinnon, but come on you have Elias Petterson and Brock Boeser. This Canucks team is not devoid of talent for Hughes to play with like it use to be.

Canucks have nothing like MacKinnon. Honestly would you trade him for anything the Canucks could come up with? Of course not and you know it. Whatever talent the Canucks have is young and mostly still finding their way. You consider the MacKinnon of a few seasons ago (when he was putting up only decent numbers) and you are looking at where most of the younger Canucks are in their development.

I would say that Makar would never put up these numbers if he played on the Canucks.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Canucks have nothing like MacKinnon. Honestly would you trade him for anything the Canucks could come up with? Of course not and you know it. Whatever talent the Canucks have is young and mostly still finding their way. You consider the MacKinnon of a few seasons ago (when he was putting up only decent numbers) and you are looking at where most of the younger Canucks are in their development.

I would say that Makar would never put up these numbers if he played on the Canucks.
I agree that Makar doesn't put up these numbers on the Canucks as Mackinnon is in my opinion the second best player in the world. The post I replied to just made it seem like the Canucks are devoid of talent to play with Hughes which is quite silly. I know you don't have as much depth but you have great talent for your PP 1 which is really important. Also Makars production has stayed level even after the Rantanen and Landeskog injuries.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

The Avs are playing without Rantanen and Landeksog, so yes i think Makar can put up those numbers on the canucks.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Makar’s other primary assist was one-timer. Yeah, it’s ultimately up to MacKinnon to bury it, but it’s very hard to argue that Makar didn’t play a huge role in that goal. 1 of 2 of Hughes’s assists was a secondary where he handed the puck off and the next guy made the big play. I feel like you’re only being selective in the quality of Makar’s chances.

And as of right now, MacKinnon is the best player on either team. But, with Rantanen out, the next 3 highest scoring forwards are Pettersson, Boeser, and Miller. Boeser and Miller should more than compensate for the 4 point gap between MacKinnon and Pettersson.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hughes was the QB on a PP that got outplayed by the 2nd unit, the first unit looked terrible all game. Makar put up 4 points, you have to be a pretty big homer to think Hughes had a better game.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Why does it really matter that much what happened in the last game between Makar and Hughes?

It was just one game nothing more. Makar has 22 points in 20 games, a ridiculous performance for a rookie Dman. If he keeps this up for the rest of the season, it will go down as one of the greatest rookie seasons of all-time.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I predict Quinn Hughes won't finish top 3 in Calder voting. Dach/Jack Hughes/Kakko are heating up and will surpass him.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston

Most d who put up big numbers get a lot of points giving it to the forwards. That’s easier said then done. Mack would not have these numbers without makar either because he’d be playing with third line wingers and dmen like Cole and Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad