Cale Makar Calder Favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Canucks PP is so inconsistent. Last game they were way too hesitant, no one was shooting.

Relating to Hughes. Hes come in & taken over the pp. Last year Pettersson ran it from Henriks old spot on the half wall, but now its Hughes thay really controls the whole thing.

Kind of surprising how hes taken it right over from Petey, but it's a compliment to Quinn I guess.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Makar’s other primary assist was one-timer. Yeah, it’s ultimately up to MacKinnon to bury it, but it’s very hard to argue that Makar didn’t play a huge role in that goal. 1 of 2 of Hughes’s assists was a secondary where he handed the puck off and the next guy made the big play. I feel like you’re only being selective in the quality of Makar’s chances.

And as of right now, MacKinnon is the best player on either team. But, with Rantanen out, the next 3 highest scoring forwards are Pettersson, Boeser, and Miller. Boeser and Miller should more than compensate for the 4 point gap between MacKinnon and Pettersson.
I'm waiting to see if Makar will hit another gear when we get Rants and Landeskog back. I think people keep downplaying our injuries or don't know about them. This stretch might be the galvanizing of this team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm waiting to see if Makar will hit another gear when we get Rants and Landeskog back. I think people keep downplaying our injuries or don't know about them. This stretch might be the galvanizing of this team.

Possibly a worse gear. He'll get points either way but Makar's worst stretch came when all those guys were healthy, he was anxiously deferring to all the tenured star forwards and not doing much. When Makar is at his best he's taking charge and not deferring to anybody.

Makar is excellent and will very likely, if the present trends continue, run away with the Calder. However, last night was all about MacKinnon and not Makar. He was getting assists when he basically all he did was pass the puck off to MacKinnon in his own zone and then Mackinnon raced thru everything to get a goal or set someone up. There was little dynamic about how Makar was getting his points - just get the puck to MacKinnon and get out of the way. Best assist was on the pass to Kadri but the rest had little to nothing to do with Makar play making. MacKinnon had an outstanding game and Makar was the beneficiary.

Far as Hughes goes, he has been outstanding for the Canucks. In many cases, he has had to create the play and then hope some forward could take advantage of the situation. Indeed, watching some of the Canucks flub Hughes's feeds is disheartening. Canucks have nothing close to MacKinnon and would be interesting to see what would happen if Makar and Hughes switched teams. Also Hughes play in his own zone has been unexpectedly decent and maybe as good as Makar's.

That said, I doubt that if I was Colorado, I would trade Makar for Hughes. Long term, Makar will be a game controller and not sure Hughes will attain Makar's long term potential. But that is open to question.

We all know Makar got some "I play with Mackinnon" assists last game. There's a reason though why Makar is more likely to pick up those sorts of points than other guys. He's a threat to score in any moment - he can fire a very hard wrister or he can cut through a gap as fast as anyone on the planet. Defenders can't focus on Mackinnon in those situations. No offense to Hughes, who is creative and dangerous with his shot placements, but if he's on the point I could see some PKers be like "goalie you're going to have to handle that, I'm taking Mackinnon's lane". That's not going to happen with Makar. It's a bit like Scheifele and Laine both in RHS shooting position on Winnipeg's PP. There's no right answer for defenders in that situation. Also I think the Canucks are actually a decent passing team, the team is built pretty similar to the Avs in my opinion, just not super fast.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Many defensemen with different level of experience (1st or 10th year) played with Nathan MacKinnon in Colorado Avalanche. Nobody was close to level of play demonstrated by Makar and nobody touched his numbers.
This. Kind of reminds me of the secondary assist complaints. If they are so easy to come by then why isn't Girard getting them? Or Erik Johnson?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Possibly a worse gear. He'll get points either way but Makar's worst stretch came when all those guys were healthy, he was anxiously deferring to all the tenured star forwards and not doing much. When Makar is at his best he's taking charge and not deferring to anybody.
Those were the first 9 games of his career. Yah it’s intimidating to be playing on the PP with Mackinnon/Rantanen. You don’t want to screw up....but I think he’s worked all that out, and will hit another gear on the PP.

Teams used to have to cover Mackinnon/Rantanen. Now they have to cover all 3

Reactions: Makar27 and Mordoch

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Are we really acting like a solo zone entry is remarkable? And I hope you’re not referring to the time where he fanned on a shot and it ended up working out for a Miller chance, because THAT is laughable. The solo rush in the third was nice up until he put it directly onto Makar’s stick in front who turned it the other way for an odd-man chance.

Here’s a question: what does Hughes do better than Makar? What skill does he have a demonstrable edge in? I do not think there is one, and it shows on the ice.

The play he made was pretty impressive. PP was struggling to gain, he makes moves cutting up ice, sells potential drop pass, chips it to an area & beats multiple guys to the puck then gains possession. Its the way he can create time + space with his skating seemingly out of nowhere. Makar had some turnovers in the game, he wasn't perfect, he wasn't the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr. I just thought Hughes was more noticeable/creating more himself.

His ability to create time + space with his feet. His ability to be a 1 man zone entry & zone exit. Defensively Hughes is much better than anticipated, if that was supposed to be a big advantage to Makar well Hughes has been closing that gap.

They bring alot of similar things, what does are all the things that Makar does much better? Hughes plays more at 5 on 5 than Makar. I'd say Hughes is more creative than Makar.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
This. Kind of reminds me of the secondary assist complaints. If they are so easy to come by then why isn't Girard getting them? Or Erik Johnson?
Exactly! We are also in a place where fans can scrutinize every pass or play . I never in my life ever heard anyone say a player like Paul Coffey got many easy assists and goals for that matter playing with Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Anderson etc when 100 percent I bet he got hundreds of so called ‘easy’ points.
There are so many subtle things a great player does to ‘earn’ his points.
Even on the OT Mackinnon goal Makar took his time holding on to the puck until Mackinnon could easily grab the puck with speed and open space to rush up the ice. The threat of Makar rushing also opens up space for teammates. It appeared to be a set play where Compher also had to be in position to run a bit of a pick.
Barrie played with Mackinnon for years and never put up a point per game and Makar is doing it as a rookie.
Makar is so good he makes it look easy. Scary thing for opponents is that he is just getting started and has much to learn. You think he is good now, think how much better he will be in even a year or two when learns to play with teammates and starts to figure things out. Dmen always take years to reach their peak and Makar is in regular season game 20.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hughes plays more at 5 on 5 than Makar. I'd say Hughes is more creative than Makar.

Makar EV pts: 13 (9 PP)
Hughes EV pts: 5 (8 PP)

As you can see the biggest gap between the two is indeed on 5 V 5 but unfortunately, it's not in Hughes' favor. You should expect a much wider gap on the PP as well once Rantanen and Landeskog are back on the 1st PP unit.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The play he made was pretty impressive. PP was struggling to gain, he makes moves cutting up ice, sells potential drop pass, chips it to an area & beats multiple guys to the puck then gains possession. Its the way he can create time + space with his skating seemingly out of nowhere. Makar had some turnovers in the game, he wasn't perfect, he wasn't the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr. I just thought Hughes was more noticeable/creating more himself.

His ability to create time + space with his feet. His ability to be a 1 man zone entry & zone exit. Defensively Hughes is much better than anticipated, if that was supposed to be a big advantage to Makar well Hughes has been closing that gap.

They bring alot of similar things, what does are all the things that Makar does much better? Hughes plays more at 5 on 5 than Makar. I'd say Hughes is more creative than Makar.

Makar is way more physical than Hughes, his shot is much better, he is stronger on the puck, and he is also more explosive. I agree they are very similar in certain aspects (elite vision, creativity, agility etc), but I think Makar has more tools in the toolbox.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I think we're looking at the birth of a superstar. It's nice to be biased and right at the same time.

As for Makar vs. Hughes. It's being beat to death. Hughes is great. He's going to be a star in this league for a long time. But I think Makar has prime Karlsson type talent. He's just that special. No disrespect to Hughes.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Makar EV pts: 13 (9 PP)
Hughes EV pts: 5 (8 PP)

As you can see the biggest gap between the two is indeed on 5 V 5 but unfortunately, it's not in Hughes' favor. You should expect a much wider gap on the PP as well once Rantanen and Landeskog are back on the 1st PP unit.

Colorado is a better team than Vancouver. Nathan MacKinnon plays for ththe Avs. Thanks for pointing that out.

All this talk about Makar getting norris votes/consideration this year, being way better than Hughes, better defensively, yet plays less than him 5 on 5.

It's funny. I go to a hockey game excited to see Makar play, state my opinion I thought he was good but Quinn Hughes was also good & created more, then everyone goes nuts.

Hes had a great start. Lets see how he does. His point totals are impressive, and he'll continue getting points as long as hes got MacKinnon to give the puck too, but the Norris talk is a little premature.

Makar is way more physical than Hughes, his shot is much better, he is stronger on the puck, and he is also more explosive. I agree they are very similar in certain aspects (elite vision, creativity, agility etc), but I think Makar has more tools in the toolbox.

I'd agree with more tools. Think Hughes is more unique & creative in his play style. Hes an offensive catalyst like not many recent OFD prospects. Again I think they are different players. Makars plays less rover style & with his strength advantage has huge twd upside.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
He has an 8 point lead in the rookie scoring race and is tied for second among all defenseman in the NHL in points, behind only Carlson who has had a monster start. I can’t see his scoring falling off much either considering the players the Avs are currently missing up front who will return.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Colorado is a better team than Vancouver. Nathan MacKinnon plays for ththe Avs. Thanks for pointing that out.

All this talk about Makar getting norris votes/consideration this year, being way better than Hughes, better defensively, yet plays less than him 5 on 5.

It's funny. I go to a hockey game excited to see Makar play, state my opinion I thought he was good but Quinn Hughes was also good & created more, then everyone goes nuts.

Hes had a great start. Lets see how he does. His point totals are impressive, and he'll continue getting points as long as hes got MacKinnon to give the puck too, but the Norris talk is a little premature.

I'd agree with more tools. Think Hughes is more unique & creative in his play style. Hes an offensive catalyst like not many recent OFD prospects. Again I think they are different players. Makars plays less rover style & with his strength advantage has huge twd upside.
I think it's arguable that Vancouver might have a better roster than the current Avs. No wonder some people on our board loves to call Makar the blueline Mackinnon. He's so fast and right now he's elevating his play when it matters same as Mack where our roster is depleted. He's maybe playing less in 5v5 because we also have EJ and Girard who are a very good pairing as well. Makar is carrying a god damn Graves. TBH I hate when people use the "Colorado are a better team or Colorado top line is so good that it's easy to produce playing with them". One Sabres fan loved to use that excuse for Eichel and yet Mack is still outscoring him despite playing with Calvert and Donskoi who most of people would saw as 3rd liners.

Last edited:

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018

Isn't that strange then? Makar plays less 5v5 (admittedly, I don't know how much more and I'm too lazy too look this morning) but is currently out producing him?

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I don't understand how posters on these boards toss up an unpopular opinion and then act like everyone else is a pack of mad hyenas when the counterarguments come out. No one's "going nuts" dude... You just can't offer anything besides the eye test as supporting evidence. Just let time decide who's better at this stage

Reactions: shadow1

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Isn't that strange then? Makar plays less 5v5 (admittedly, I don't know how much more and I'm too lazy too look this morning) but is currently out producing him?

It’s definitely an argument that’s usually made in the opposite direction. Pretty rare to see it attempt to be applied in favor of the guy playing more but producing less.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
This trophy is Makar's... Knew it the moment we saw him in the playoffs last yr.

Doesn't at all take away my glee for having Hughes as a Canuck... Steal.

And it absolutely shouldn't. So tired of some of these fans and their constant dick measuring. Both teams have electric young defensemen who will probably be among the best at their position in their prime. Makar's play right now doesn't take anything away from Hughes.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
There is an argument that Makar is a year older than Hugh's. so... does that mean Hugh's has to score at least 22 points in his first 20 games next year to keep par?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->