Cale Makar Calder Favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
There is an argument that Makar is a year older than Hugh's. so... does that mean Hugh's has to score at least 22 points in his first 20 games next year to keep par?
Post right before yours (by an Avs fan) states that we shouldn't kick dirt on Hughes just to pump up Makar which I totally agree with. And then you write this. Post like this is totally unnecessary.

Makar is fantastic and there's no need to take pot shots at Hughes, everyone can see how good Makar is. Let's not be so petty.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
"Makar is definitely something I haven't seen before. I spent most of our game against Colorado in awe at how great he was playing. Between periods we talked about how special he is and that no one could stop him. He would have my vote for the Calder and maybe more."

- Quinn Hughes, probably

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'm not going to read the last 15 pages of bickering, but as a Canucks fan I think Makar is a fairly comfortable favourite at the moment.

I predicted he'd win before the season started.

I was then very impressed with Hughes' performance.

I still think Makar will win it. No need for people to take it personally, the kid is unreal.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
No, speak for yourself only. Suggesting you're doing lord's work when it comes to downplay Hughes's game is just laughable. A large portion of Hughes fans have shown they are intelligent enough to know where he needs to work on. Unlike you they don't go around being so negatively fixated on a rookie playing his first season in the game. I remember you bumped a hughes thread up and made a large one sided biased approach to his play. This shows you are an opportunist.

Nope, because I prefer to be not too critical of a rookie playing his first season in the league. I'll dish that question back at you.
“Not too critical.”

You have done nothing but energetically attack every suggestion that he’s less than elite at anything. I, on the other hand, am willing to engage with and even originate discussion of the weaknesses of Marner, Matthews, Tavares, etc.

Whatever. Shiny new toy syndrome for a player on a team that has struggled recently. It is what it is. I legitimately hope the Canucks and Hughes find success. Cheers.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Post right before yours (by an Avs fan) states that we shouldn't kick dirt on Hughes just to pump up Makar which I totally agree with. And then you write this. Post like this is totally unnecessary.

Makar is fantastic and there's no need to take pot shots at Hughes, everyone can see how good Makar is. Let's not be so petty.
They posted as I was typing but.... isn't that what hfboards is about , posting useless information to try to 1 up your player over another player. If Hugh's has a monster night and Makar has a poor one do you not thinks there will be fans coming on here claiming that Hugh's is the superior prospect on that given day and he should win the Calder. It's senseless fun not to be taken too seriously. Hugh's could very well easily win the Calder and be the better d man throughout their respective careers. I won't care... as long as Makar gets the Norris this year.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I think it's arguable that Vancouver might have a better roster than the current Avs. No wonder some people on our board loves to call Makar the blueline Mackinnon. He's so fast and right now he's elevating his play when it matters same as Mack where our roster is depleted. He's maybe playing less in 5v5 because we also have EJ and Girard who are a very good pairing as well. Makar is carrying a god damn Graves. TBH I hate when people use the "Colorado are a better team or Colorado top line is so good that it's easy to produce playing with them". One Sabres fan loved to use that excuse for Eichel and yet Mack is still outscoring him despite playing with Calvert and Donskoi who most of people would saw as 3rd liners.
Lol please tell me it was Jack Attack. I've never met a poster with wuc delusional love for a player.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Jack Attack is one of the best people on this website.

He should change his name to "NOTENOUGHEICHEL" so before people realize who it is, they'll just think it's a satire account. I do miss Brewer being in the league just because of the responses you used to get out of people, haha. You ever think about changing your name to "NOTENOUGHJOHNSON"?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I think it's arguable that Vancouver might have a better roster than the current Avs. No wonder some people on our board loves to call Makar the blueline Mackinnon. He's so fast and right now he's elevating his play when it matters same as Mack where our roster is depleted. He's maybe playing less in 5v5 because we also have EJ and Girard who are a very good pairing as well. Makar is carrying a god damn Graves. TBH I hate when people use the "Colorado are a better team or Colorado top line is so good that it's easy to produce playing with them". One Sabres fan loved to use that excuse for Eichel and yet Mack is still outscoring him despite playing with Calvert and Donskoi who most of people would saw as 3rd liners.

All fair points. The 'better team' thing was probably the wrong route to take on my part.

I don't wanna be taking axe swings at Makar, he's my Calder frontrunner too, I think he's a great player. When you see Hart/Norris/exc. mentioned already I think that's kinda why I bring up 5 on 5 ice time. He's still just starting his career, he'll get there but..

Isn't that strange then? Makar plays less 5v5 (admittedly, I don't know how much more and I'm too lazy too look this morning) but is currently out producing him?

If he's the Mackinnon of defense, a Hart trophy & a Norris candidate right now. Then shouldn't he be playing more than the diminutive Quinn Hughes?

He's outproducing him as you say, therefore miles ahead right? So why does he play less if he's a stratosphere ahead?

I'm obviously being flippant with these questions to a degree, but some of the talk in this thread you almost think he should be averaging 25ish minutes a game.

I don't understand how posters on these boards toss up an unpopular opinion and then act like everyone else is a pack of mad hyenas when the counterarguments come out. No one's "going nuts" dude... You just can't offer anything besides the eye test as supporting evidence. Just let time decide who's better at this stage

Where did I say Hughes was better outside of the 1 game? I've been complimentary of Makar. I was excited to see him play and gave my opinion. Do I have to say Makar is always better at everything than any other young D or my opinion isn't allowed? I'm not coming to any conclusions based on 1 game here, other than that I think they are a bit different players. If I have nothing to offer then what do you have?

Yes I agree let time decide, pretty sure I've said that too. Both are fantastic. I think Makar has massive upside like everyone else.

They are the two rookies that are separating themselves this year as finalists, & Makar has separated himself as the front-runner. Lets just see & enjoy how they continue to do.

I anticipate Makar will not slow down & be a clear winner like the last few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spilot23

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
All fair points. The 'better team' thing was probably the wrong route to take on my part.

I don't wanna be taking axe swings at Makar, he's my Calder frontrunner too, I think he's a great player. When you see Hart/Norris/exc. mentioned already I think that's kinda why I bring up 5 on 5 ice time. He's still just starting his career, he'll get there but..

If he's the Mackinnon of defense, a Hart trophy & a Norris candidate right now. Then shouldn't he be playing more than the diminutive Quinn Hughes?

He's outproducing him as you say, therefore miles ahead right? So why does he play less if he's a stratosphere ahead?

I'm obviously being flippant with these questions to a degree, but some of the talk in this thread you almost think he should be averaging 25ish minutes a game.

Where did I say Hughes was better outside of the 1 game? I've been complimentary of Makar. I was excited to see him play and gave my opinion. Do I have to say Makar is always better at everything than any other young D or my opinion isn't allowed? I'm not coming to any conclusions based on 1 game here, other than that I think they are a bit different players. If I have nothing to offer then what do you have?

Yes I agree let time decide, pretty sure I've said that too. Both are fantastic. I think Makar has massive upside like everyone else.

They are the two rookies that are separating themselves this year as finalists, & Makar has separated himself as the front-runner. Lets just see & enjoy how they continue to do.

I anticipate Makar will not slow down & be a clear winner like the last few years.

If I’m reading this right, Hughes has played an extra 5 min at 5v5 in the last 20 games. Isn’t that splitting hairs?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
If I’m reading this right, Hughes has played an extra 5 min at 5v5 in the last 20 games. Isn’t that splitting hairs?

As an average over a significant period of time I don't think so. Not to say it will stay that way, its just the way some people are talking...

I do think he'll finish the season averaging over 20. Its still so early in his career.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
10192019193211.jpg

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
His assist tonight was a classic example of where the secondary assist actually has a pretty significant impact on the goal.

5/6 Dmen dressed for the Avs tonight wouldn't make the play he made defensively to get the puck, skate it out of harms way and then fire a pass straight up the ice to Mackinnon.... And then be able to catch up to Mackinnon and join the rush enough to create the extra bit of space for Mack to find Burakovsky for the goal.

He's a special player. Seems like that gets said every night at this point but it really is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad