Cale Makar Calder Favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Is anyone really thinking he WON'T win the Calder this year? As a side question, is he going to get over 60 points this season? Why or why not?

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
We. Don’t. Need. A. Jinx. Thread.

If Cale Makar doesn't win the Calder it won't be because "Monsters" posted an hfboards thread in November.

To OP, I think it's probably Makar's to lose. As a Carolina fan, if Necas catches fire I could see him having a shot. But I don't think he'll put up the point totals to warrant serious consideration, especially if Cale puts up 50+.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
If you forget about the first six games of the season, Jack Hughes has 9 points in the last 8 games. If he continues at this rate he'll be up there in the conversation.
He very well may and SHOULD out pace Makar in point totals. If it is even remotely close do you think Hughes would deserve the Calder?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
He very well may and SHOULD out pace Makar in point totals. If it is even remotely close do you think Hughes would deserve the Calder?

Makar would be the only guy who could win and I wouldn't be upset.

He showed up from college in the playoffs and looked nearly dominant at points. He's a real special player.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
He's still deferring too much but when Nathan Mackinnon is banging his stick at you and you're a rookie 20 games into his NHL career you'd give him the puck too. He's got to just play his own game though.

Reactions: MacBradley

Limp Dekes

Jun 27, 2019
I think it's debatable, but really depends on exact totals. Hughes is 2.5 years younger than Makar, on a significantly worse team.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If Cale Makar doesn't win the Calder it won't be because "Monsters" posted an hfboards thread in November.

To OP, I think it's probably Makar's to lose. As a Carolina fan, if Necas catches fire I could see him having a shot. But I don't think he'll put up the point totals to warrant serious consideration, especially if Cale puts up 50+.

Yes, it will.

I think it's debatable, but really depends on exact totals. Hughes is 2.5 years younger than Makar, on a significantly worse team.

Makar plays D. Recent Calder winners have put up 60+ points. That’s around top 5 in the entire NHL in D scoring. If one of the rookie D’s pulls that off, I don’t see how it isn’t going to be a landslide for them, unless of course, they both do it and split the vote.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's still deferring too much but when Nathan Mackinnon is banging his stick at you and you're a rookie 20 games into his NHL career you'd give him the puck too. He's got to just play his own game though.

Well I don't think deferring to MacKinnon is really hurting or going to hurt his point totals much at all. Most guys would defer to him no matter their experience most likely

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

If J Hughes and Makar finish with very similar point totals, tie would have to go to the rookie defenseman IMO. Still a long ways to go though, Makar and the Hughes brothers may cool off for long stretches and others might have their hat in the ring too.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Why the hell wouldn't he defer to one of the best players in the league. I love Makar and believe he's one of the best up and coming defensemen in the league but if he wins the calder based on points they might as well engrave 'assisted by Nathan MacKinnon' on the trophy and honestly there's nothing wrong with that.

He's been shooting a lot more and starting to move his feet in the offensive zone since Bednar momentarily dropped him to PP2 to get him away from MacKinnon and force him to create on his own. I think that was good for him. Sakic picked a fantastic coach for our developing star players.

I seriously can't wait next year for Byram, Avs defense is going to be so fun to watch going forward.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
That has to be the most ridiculous article I have seen from Sportsnet this season. Bear has been good but he won't touch the Calder conversation with his point totals.

Isn't that insane!? I was genuinely shocked to see it was a legit article and that they were comparing Bear to Makar and Q. Hughes. I like Bear a lot, he'll be great, but he's going to put up probably 20-25 points which just isn't going to do it with Makar and Hughes already having double Bear's points over the last ~35 games in about half of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad