Cale Makar: 2nd Season Prophecies

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
20 goals 60 assists

This is what I'm expecting as well. And that's a conservative estimate too IMO.

Makar scored at a 17 goal 55 assist and 72 point pace last year. And that was as a rookie who was 3rd in minutes among Av defenseman both overall and at even strength, while playing on the 19th ranked PP.

He could very well end up 1st in minutes both overall and at even strength next year, and will hopefully play on a top 10 PP. So there's a strong chance his numbers go up.

One day I think Cale can get to 30 goals 100 points. That may be too soon next year (I wouldn't count it out though) but he's gonna put up big numbers if he can stay healthy.

Reactions: Makar27 and Barklez

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The only thing holding Cale back outside of experience is himself. I want to see him assert himself on the game more because he has that skill set like Mack where he can tilt the ice for 20+ a night on a consistent basis. Hopefully Mack can get in his ear and give him a bit more of an ego.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This is what I'm expecting as well. And that's a conservative estimate too IMO.

Makar scored at a 17 goal 55 assist and 72 point pace last year. And that was as a rookie who was 3rd in minutes among Av defenseman both overall and at even strength, while playing on the 19th ranked PP.

He could very well end up 1st in minutes both overall and at even strength next year, and will hopefully play on a top 10 PP. So there's a strong chance his numbers go up.

One day I think Cale can get to 30 goals 100 points. That may be too soon next year (I wouldn't count it out though) but he's gonna put up big numbers if he can stay healthy.

I don’t know, I think those kinda totals are unattainable for a defenceman in this era.

I’d love to see it and he’d go down as an all-time great player if he could get there, but I don’t think it’s possible.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The only thing holding Cale back outside of experience is himself. I want to see him assert himself on the game more because he has that skill set like Mack where he can tilt the ice for 20+ a night on a consistent basis. Hopefully Mack can get in his ear and give him a bit more of an ego.

I think a lot of that came from him being an extremely humble rookie that didn't want to showboat too much. It took a while before he really even celebrated a goal.

With a year in the NHL under his belt and the ROY trophy, I think he'll feel like he's earned the right to assert himself more on the ice. And the coaches will be pushing him to do just that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t know, I think those kinda totals are unattainable for a defenceman in this era.

I’d love to see it and he’d go down as an all-time great player if he could get there, but I don’t think it’s possible.

It's certainly a lofty goal, but we've entered into a higher scoring era than the one we were in before. Likely caused by the crackdown on slashes IMO.

That said, Burns had back to back seasons of 27 and 29 goals a few years back. The 90-100 point totals are going to be tougher to achieve, but it's rare a defenseman like Cale has the kind of offensive power house at forward to play with as well.

I'm a broken record on this but Cale is a special defenseman. The normal expectations for a defenseman don't apply to him. Every time people have said he couldn't do something, he's done it.

With his skills, and the offensive firepower the Avs have at forward, if he can have a fully healthy career season in his prime, with a top 5 or so PP, I think he can get at least into the 30 goal 90 point range, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 100.

Reactions: Makar27 and Barklez

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think a lot of that came from him being an extremely humble rookie that didn't want to showboat too much. It took a while before he really even celebrated a goal.

With a year in the NHL under his belt and the ROY trophy, I think he'll feel like he's earned the right to assert himself more on the ice. And the coaches will be pushing him to do just that.
Probably a fair point. But if that’s my biggest criticism for him than we’re in a good spot :laugh:

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Probably a fair point. But if that’s my biggest criticism for him than we’re in a good spot :laugh:

I don't think you were even being that critical of him.

He does like to pick his spots when to be aggressive, and he'll probably continue to do that instead of playing a free wheeling Ozo style. But I would imagine he'll be a little more aggressive than he was as a rookie.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's certainly a lofty goal, but we've entered into a higher scoring era than the one we were in before. Likely caused by the crackdown on slashes IMO.

That said, Burns had back to back seasons of 27 and 29 goals a few years back. The 90-100 point totals are going to be tougher to achieve, but it's rare a defenseman like Cale has the kind of offensive power house at forward to play with as well.

I'm a broken record on this but Cale is a special defenseman. The normal expectations for a defenseman don't apply to him. Every time people have said he couldn't do something, he's done it.

With his skills, and the offensive firepower the Avs have at forward, if he can have a fully healthy career season in his prime, with a top 5 or so PP, I think he can get at least into the 30 goal 90 point range, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 100.

He needs to play defence too and Makar isn’t a guy who abandons his own zone. If they put him next to a Marc Methot type and just said, “Cale do your thing, attack whenever you want because your D partner ain’t going anywhere.”

That would help, but I’m not sure the Avs have that with the his potential partners, with the way Toews and Graves play. Makar’s ice time also probably won’t be too crazy with the depth the Avs have on the blues line, which might limit his numbers a bit.

I do think guys like MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Makar could have some special years this coming season if the team stays healthy. On paper it’s a stacked roster.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He needs to play defence too and Makar isn’t a guy who abandons his own zone. If they put him next to a Marc Methot type and just said, “Cale do your thing, attack whenever you want because your D partner ain’t going anywhere.”

That would help, but I’m not sure the Avs have that with the his potential partners, with the way Toews and Graves play. Makar’s ice time also probably won’t be too crazy with the depth the Avs have on the blues line, which might limit his numbers a bit.

I do think guys like MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Makar could have some special years this coming season if the team stays healthy. On paper it’s a stacked roster.

True, but he was still focusing on defense as a rookie and scored at a 17 goal 72 point pace. Being just 3rd in minutes and with a 19th ranked power play.

The Avs have good depth on the blueline, but Makar is obviously a notch above everyone, and he's solid enough to be played in all situations.

I can't find where I saw/heard it, but Cale said he wants to work real hard in the off season specifically so he can play a lot of minutes next year. I would bet this idea came directly from the coaching staff in their end of year meetings.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

I think 5 defenseman ever have hit 100 points. Not even Bourque did it. Since the high scoring 80s and early 90s no one has done it. A 100 point defenseman is better and much rarer than MacK.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think 5 defenseman ever have hit 100 points. Not even Bourque did it. Since the high scoring 80s and early 90s no one has done it. A 100 point defenseman is better and much rarer than MacK.

I probably should have said 90 points like I've said in the past, because I'm not as confident in 100 for the reasons you mentioned, but I still think 100 is possible too. I am however fairly confident in 90.

I won't be surprised at all if he does hit 100 in a career year though, but it will require him being fully healthy and playing on a top 5 PP like I mentioned.

I know we all agree Makar is a really good defenseman, but I don't think we've scratched the surface yet. I expect him to do things nearly all other defenseman didn't do. I think this era is better for offensive defenseman as well, because teams rely so heavily on their puck movement and offensive support.

As for the MacKinnon comparison, it's close, but I think Cale is the "better" player, even though it's next to impossible to accurately compare forwards and defenseman because their roles are so different.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

Wait till Byram arrives and finally gets in the ear of Makar and Mackinnon.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
tenor.gif

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Basically his expectations could not be higher. He was amazing in the playoffs imo, even better than he was in the regular season, especially defensively. At 5v5 he had 61.39 CF%, on the ice for 20 goals for, 8 goals against.

I think the addition of Toews is only going to propel him into more production. Graves was a decent partner for a while, but was clearly holding him back in the playoffs. I expect more goals too.

21 goals, 54 assists - 75 points

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
And Lady Byng, Conn Smythe and obviously Lord Stanleys Cup.
Well yeah, that goes without saying. Although with Avs luck for winning the Hart, Makar still wouldn't win it if he had a 200 point season and a Norris, because they'll say he had MacKinnon on his team and just give the MVP to McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad