Cale Makar: 2nd Season Prophecies

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In the end he got overplayed and ran out of gas in the playoffs.

People should start tempering their expectations.

You can judge offensive players like Makar based on their production, and he produced at a higher rate in both series, than he did in the regular season. His defensive play in both series was stronger than the regular season as well IMO.

Regular Season
57 games - 12 goals - 50 points

Arizona Series
5 games - 1 goal - 6 points

Dallas Series
7 games - 2 goals - 8 points

I expect Cale to at least maintain his level of play in the playoffs, but I think he'll build on both his defensive game and regular season production. He'll have another off season to get stronger and a full training camp to get his legs under him. He'll be the Avs work horse logging tons of minutes going forward.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A few things I hope he does in season 2.

1. Stop deferring all the time. Makar needs to realize hes one of the best players in the game. He doesnt always need to pass it to Nathan.

2. Needs to rush the puck alot more. The team is better when he does this. See his play after the miscue last playoffs.

3. He bobbled the puck alot last year. Hope he clears that up.

4. You can always get better defensively.

5. Stay healthy. This team was a mess when he was out.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
  • Overtake G as the 1D
  • PPG or a touch over, he’ll have pointless nights but 20+ multi point games
  • Top 5 in Norris voting but not quite there yet
  • All around better season than Q Hughes, much to the disappointment of Henchy and Canuckleheads everywhere

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
James-Norris-Memorial-Trophy@2x.jpg

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
Cale did play worse when playing 25+ minutes a night. Although, it's hard to tell exactly how much was too much.

Johnson got injured in game 1 vs Dallas. Bednar then decided to give Makar all the minutes the next game (27:48). Makar's play was uninspiring and Bednar dialed back his minutes and he played better.

Ultimately, MacKinnon and Makar are more explosive than smooth and logging larger minutes takes away from what makes them special. I think 22:00-24:00 is ideal for Makar and 20:00-22:00 for MacKinnon. I'd prefer them being closer to the lower end during the regular season to pace themselves from the playoffs.

The team could be better in the future depending on how the prospects develop but this is the deepest it'll ever be. Not taking advantage of that would be a waste. Cup or bust.

My expectation is for him to be the #1 defenseman on the Cup winner and challenge MacKinnon for the Conn Smythe.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
My only expectation is that he'll play more. He was 74th in the NHL in ice time amongst defensemen last season (Min: 20GP).

I doubt he'll be used on the PK, but consider this: Makar was 103rd in the NHL (Min: 20GP) in even strength ice time amongst defensemen last season (17:11). This was tied with Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson, and ranked third on the Avalanche defense. :amazed:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
My only expectation is that he'll play more. He was 74th in the NHL in ice time amongst defensemen last season (Min: 20GP).

I doubt he'll be used on the PK, but consider this: Makar was 103rd in the NHL (Min: 20GP) in even strength ice time amongst defensemen last season (17:11). This was tied with Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson, and ranked third on the Avalanche defense. :amazed:
Wow. Kinda remarkable he was able to put up the numbers he did averaging that much ice time and with the PP being a shit show. I guess the Avs are a really good team haha.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Wow. Kinda remarkable he was able to put up the numbers he did averaging that much ice time and with the PP being a shit show. I guess the Avs are a really good team haha.

Yep. He certainly made the most of his opportunities. Wait until he gets a minute, or two more at even strength per game.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
70 points and an increase in defensive ability would be my expectation. I think what we saw at the end of the Stars series was him figuring out his best way of shutting down opponents and it was the first time I’d notice him consistently making plays in the D zone. I’m excited to see where he takes his game because his ceiling is as high as anyone’s out there.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't think it would be wise to play Makar around 23+ mins on average per game. Once in a while is fine but IMO it is too much for the type of game he plays. He skates a lot doing multiple rushes per game along with strong backchecks. That takes a lot of energy. It's much different for guys like Suter for example who are staying back much more than Makar. You need to keep him fresh for the playoffs. If staying relatively healthy and the addition of Toews I don't think it is necessary to play him 23+ mins a night.

What I'd like to see from him this next season:
- around 70 pts
- a bit better defensively
- a bit better control of the puck. IMO he was fumbling the puck too often last season. I think this will come as he relaxes more while under pressure.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I expect to see one of the most exciting and dynamic Dmen in the league in our colors. If his shots start going post/in instead of post/out he’s going to score a boat load of goals.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
A few things I hope he does in season 2.

1. Stop deferring all the time. Makar needs to realize hes one of the best players in the game. He doesnt always need to pass it to Nathan.

2. Needs to rush the puck alot more. The team is better when he does this. See his play after the miscue last playoffs.

3. He bobbled the puck alot last year. Hope he clears that up.

4. You can always get better defensively.

5. Stay healthy. This team was a mess when he was out.
His hands remind me of young Mack a lot. Very fast but not silky smooth, a bit jittery. They are much better now. I think he goes through the same improvement curve.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
His hands remind me of young Mack a lot. Very fast but not silky smooth, a bit jittery. They are much better now. I think he goes through the same improvement curve.

Agree here.

Honestly, early in the season it was a real concern for me. Like the first 25 games of the season I didn’t understand why the puck was bobbling on him 5/6 times a game. I actually remember saying at the time I thought he needed to try a different kind of stick lol.

It lessened as the year went on to the point where it wasn’t nearly as noticeable. I think it will always be in his game a little bit. Just for whatever reason it happens to him sometimes, and he makes moves other defenceman don’t try, like super fast toe drags.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm expecting him to come in bigger and stronger and increase the frequency with which he uses his body defensively. This would in turn potentially lead to some PK time. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him get even more assertive with the puck and basically be the dominant offensive player in any group of 5 that doesn't include MacKinnon. I'm not actually expecting a big increase in ice time though based on our personnel on the back end. I think ice time will be spread around again.

Reactions: MaKarter

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Agree here.

Honestly, early in the season it was a real concern for me. Like the first 25 games of the season I didn’t understand why the puck was bobbling on him 5/6 times a game. I actually remember saying at the time I thought he needed to try a different kind of stick lol.

It lessened as the year went on to the point where it wasn’t nearly as noticeable. I think it will always be in his game a little bit. Just for whatever reason it happens to him sometimes, and he makes moves other defenceman don’t try, like super fast toe drags.

He had some risky bobbles in the playoffs too. It's one improvement point for him I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad