Prospect Info: Cale Fleury - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Agree losing him hurts but we were going to lose someone that stung regardless. MB did what he could to preserve as much of the team as possible while not giving away the farm dealing with the Kraken.

I agree, it could have been much more worst. I was answering a poster who was diminishing Fleury because he was playing AHL last year.

Reactions: Drive425

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I agree, it could have been much more worst. I was answering a poster who was diminishing Fleury because he was playing AHL last year.
I strongly beleive he was kept in ahl to hide him, but it not work.
But habs did well in draft when all said and done.

Reactions: goforit

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
This is not directed at you, but moreso the content.

Because I've seen variations of this same post, every year, for years now.

I just don't get it.
That's ok. The way I see it, this team is not a contender and hasn't been in years, if that. Maybe the year Price got hurt by Kreider. They weren't a contender last year. They got in and "competed" for the cup. MB is too loyal to these older guys with big, cumbersome contracts, thinking if they just get in, anything can happen. That happened once (this season) and it was a Cinderella playoffs. Even if you kept all the same players next year, I guarantee they'd struggle just to make the playoffs.
Price is 34, can't get through a season without missing significant time, and has been mediocre to really good in the regular season. That contract is now an albatross. He was great in the playoffs, but you have to get through the season first.
Time to rebuild. This team has spent so many years thinking they can compete every year. The focus should be on drafting and development. Think about this too - their current top goalie prospect is a 7th rounder who still has a lot to prove.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sucks to lose yet another young dman with potential. Far too many of late it seems.

I never thought he had top 4D potential. He has a long way to go to get there and he's 22 now and we have a good indication on his projection. Likely bottom pairing or fringe top 4D at best. If he turns into a top 4D, I think most of us would be shocked.

He was tracking as a depth piece or bottom pairing journeyman.... Like so many in the NHL. I don't think we lost an important asset. Brook to me has a higher ceiling and thankfully he was exempt

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Fleury is going to be 23 in a few months and no one was expecting him to make our team this year in which we already have a weak D.

Sure he can turn it around and improve, but at best he's likely just another bottom pairing D.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I strongly beleive he was kept in ahl to hide him, but it not work.
But habs did well in draft when all said and done.

he wasn't doing that well in the AHL ever since they sent him down last year. Though last year he sucked balls defensively, was just really terrible though he did start to improve after some time some perhaps it was more to due with rust. Then they canceled the season. This year he did much better defensively but that could be due more to his often D partner in Bisson who was very steady in his own end. The problem was he struggled offensively. Now maybe that was due to the Habs telling him he had to work on his defensive game and not worry as much about the offensive side for now. Just speculating though, never heard anything one way or the other so I only can do off what I saw. That's why I'm surprised he was pick as he didn't look NHL ready at all this season, so why take a guy that has to clear waivers and due to injuries, a shitty development plan, he's got only 96 AHL games under his belt after 3 years (normal season is 76 games)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Look at the D group for Seattle and tell me how the heck Cale Fleury will play a game there. I'd be surprised if he didn't hit waivers early into the season. Assuming Seattle doesn't trade their defensemen, of course.

I would expect 4-5 of those D to be traded.

clarke19

Feb 1, 2008
Were we going to likely lose Fleury on waivers this season anyway? I guess he had an outside shot of playing if the Habs don't replace Weber

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
With no other D coming back?

Either way, I'd be surprised if Fleury is still in the NHL at Christmas.

I'd assume with no other D coming back. For example Vegas selected 13 D and flipped 4 of them without another D coming back: TVR, Schlemko, Methot and Emelin.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
he wasn't doing that well in the AHL ever since they sent him down last year. Though last year he sucked balls defensively, was just really terrible though he did start to improve after some time some perhaps it was more to due with rust. Then they canceled the season. This year he did much better defensively but that could be due more to his often D partner in Bisson who was very steady in his own end. The problem was he struggled offensively. Now maybe that was due to the Habs telling him he had to work on his defensive game and not worry as much about the offensive side for now. Just speculating though, never heard anything one way or the other so I only can do off what I saw. That's why I'm surprised he was pick as he didn't look NHL ready at all this season, so why take a guy that has to clear waivers and due to injuries, a shitty development plan, he's got only 96 AHL games under his belt after 3 years (normal season is 76 games)

You right in a sense, but i still see lots of potential in him, however lets not kid ourselves, Mb played high stakes poker and he came out a winner.
They wanted allen, he dared them with a big all in worth 50 million dollars and they folded.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i meant during the season, they used ouellet instead of cale

In the AHL? I was not aware of that. If you were talking about NHL, it was best to keep him at the AHL to mature. I support giving guys a taste of the NHL here and there but last season was condensed and a short schedule. There was no time to tinker and they value Ouellet's maturity even if we think he sucks.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
In the AHL? I was not aware of that. If you were talking about NHL, it was best to keep him at the AHL to mature. I support giving guys a taste of the NHL here and there but last season was condensed and a short schedule. There was no time to tinker and they value Ouellet's maturity even if we think he sucks.

Yea you right, i wanted him in ahl as well. but all in all. we made out like bandits from the draft

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
See you Cale. Was a longshot to make it. Still a longshot to make it.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
i'm just having flashbacks to 2017 with Markov leaving and in comes Davison, schlemko, alzner, Benn and bergevin bragging about how great the D was
Ummm…..ya, when you put it that way, I certainly don’t want to see that type of D manning our blue line.

I’m hoping for a D.Hamilton to replace Weber

Chiarot-Hamilton
Edmundson-Petry
Romanov-Kulak

with a playoff bound:

Romanov-Weber combo

Reactions: Stive Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad