GDT: CAL @ BUF - 7pm TV:MSG Radio:WGR - Goalies for sale!

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's still really early and I didn't expect a big October. Not really ready to over analyze this one. Sabres do poor against physical/griding teams, and more are going with that MO.

I do question their belief in Levi right now. He was the difference in this game. They wont go back to him Saturday.

Adams is going to have to eat the Turd burger

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
imagine if this was all part of ralph kruegers plan…. just torture the players until they were scarred enough that they never succeeded in their entire careers

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Adams is going to have to eat the Turd burger
He's a little in love with the idea of breaking convention. He could ultimately be right with Levi, but they could dig themselves a bit of a hole trying to make something work, and regret they don't have one or two more wins in April.

The upside for this team is still there.

I will say one positive is Krebs seems to be working out OK on that Cozens line, but then Jost wasn't great on the fourth line, so... they need all four lines going.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
It's still really early and I didn't expect a big October. Not really ready to over analyze this one. Sabres do poor against physical/griding teams, and more are going with that MO.

I do question their belief in Levi right now. He was the difference in this game. They wont go back to him Saturday.
Both goalies had an identical save % in this game.
Sabres gave up more shots.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
If Cozens and Tuch started this season on time, we would have at least one more win.

They are making bad choices, shooting the puck into shin pads, and just generally sucking. Hard to win that way.
Pretty much this, plus Tage and a few others to lesser degrees. It would be nice if we had enough structure to surf over their slow starts, but we just don't yet. Continue to dread the Ellis/Wilford/Christie v Peca/Weber storyline like most everyone else.

We knew this team still had plenty of challenging stretches remaining in it's long-term development (youngest team in the league). Still sucks that one of those stretches happens right away (including some glaring established gripes) and it is slightly concerning re: projections (but still only 4.9% of the season completed, less than one NFL game (Jets)).

Shitty to see Levi spaced out from the start and kind of overmatched. Pretty damn bad, no idea why, and I wanted him to start. But if we're trying to skip a couple steps on his dev curve, there's going to be some sharp variance among his starts.

As good as 72 and 24 have shown to be in their careers and as valuable as their deals appear to be, Dahlin is showing through four games of scrambled disadvantaged team play why he makes 55% more than them. He's becoming really consistent, he's ridiculously good, he's only getting better, and he's here for nine years.

Last edited:

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Pretty much this, plus Tage and a few others to lesser degrees. It would be nice if we had enough structure to surf over their slow starts, but we just don't yet. Continue to dread the Ellis/Wilford/Christie v Peca/Weber storyline like most everyone else.

We knew this team still had plenty of challenging stretches remaining in it's long-term development (youngest team in the league). Still sucks that one of those stretches happens right away (including some glaring established gripes) and it is slightly concerning re: projections (but still only 4.9% of the season completed, less than one NFL game (Jets)).

Shitty to see Levi spaced out from the start and kind of overmatched. Pretty damn bad, no idea why, and I wanted him to start. But if we're trying to skip a couple steps on his dev curve, there's going to be some sharp variance among his starts.

As good as 72 and 24 have shown to be in their careers and as valuable as their deals appear to be, Dahlin is showing through four games of scrambled disadvantaged team play why he makes 55% more than them. He's becoming really consistent, he's ridiculously good, he's only getting better, and he's here for nine years.

The problem has been our entire team this year is Dahlin and a collection of crap.

Dahlin is going to have a broken back trying to carry this team

Reactions: Fjordy

lecherous

Apr 11, 2002
Rochester, NY
www.voteforrory.com
Didn't see the entire game but it just seemed like Levi could use some time to regroup

The more I think about this, I have no idea what the plan actually is. He played 34 college + 7 NHL games last year so let's say you play him every other game this year and hope for 10-15 playoff starts, that's still a BIG ask for a 21 year old. If he was in the AHL this year he'd probably play 50-55 games max and it's a lot more gradual load to put on him at this point in his development. I'm not against having him up here but he's not our workhorse, this really has to be a committee situation (with UPL the clear 3rd until he gets his brain worms straightened out).

Reactions: Matt Ress

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Very simple: Tomorrow we will be playing an Isles team that played the night before starting their #2 in net (not the guy who really should've won the Vezina last season). If they can't win tomorrow we are in serious trouble.

NO EXCUSES.

Reactions: rams

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
The more I think about this, I have no idea what the plan actually is. He played 34 college + 7 NHL games last year so let's say you play him every other game this year and hope for 10-15 playoff starts, that's still a BIG ask for a 21 year old. If he was in the AHL this year he'd probably play 50-55 games max and it's a lot more gradual load to put on him at this point in his development. I'm not against having him up here but he's not our workhorse, this really has to be a committee situation (with UPL the clear 3rd until he gets his brain worms straightened out).
Goalies always seem to be a touch and go situation. Maybe Comrie can pull a couple Ws out, Savoie gets healthy and Levi goes to Roch. IDK what we do with the 17 other goalies in the organization.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
yes, because counting on 'pace' after 6 games is always a smooth move.

He said we were at a .500 pace, and that's what I was responding to -- it's not really a thing in hockey because of OT loss points.

The attendance was pretty sad Saturday night for this early in the season. I was there and enjoyed the game, as I always do, but the Sabres really don't have much trust out there in the fanbase. Lose to Montreal and go into Ottawa on back-to-back, and 2-5-0 is possible.

They need to slam Montreal and then get a monster goalie performance on the road. We need a goalie to just steal a game.

I'd like to be 4-3-0 in two days and be 6-4 at the 10-game mark.

Feels possible to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4