C Yegor Sharangovich (2018, 141st, NJD)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I'm a big fan of this line (I really like Kuokkanen and Sharangovich). I also like advanced stats.

With that being said, when the 1st and 3rd rank on a list are a 4th and 3rd line, I just don't know what to think about those stats. Can someone explain why is it good that they have similar number than Colorado's 4th line?

**I'm not trying to be a d*ck, I genuinely want to understand it. There are a lot of good lines on the list, but half of them seems to be bottom-6 lines, and not a lot of 1st line.**

Updated with min TOI set at 150min:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
upload_2021-4-30_15-22-20.png

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
He also had an exceptional KHL season. Across his full 2020-2021 KHL/NHL season, his state line looks like this:

82 games
31 goals
20 assists
51 points
201 shots
45 pims (almost all of these came from KHL and it looks like an outlier to the rest of his career).

Big season for a 22-year-old.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Best part about this kid is his eagerness to shoot. He’s unapologetic in the use of his shot and it’s lethal. Get the impression that even if he had a mediocre shot he’d still have the confidence to just shoot all the time. Something you can’t really teach.

Reactions: thethinglonger

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Best part about this kid is his eagerness to shoot. He’s unapologetic in the use of his shot and it’s lethal. Get the impression that even if he had a mediocre shot he’d still have the confidence to just shoot all the time. Something you can’t really teach.
Oiler fan but I’ve watched a couple of NJ games and this kid impressed the heck out of me. NJ has a keeper with this kid. Terrific shooter and great hockey sense

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
We drafted him a 20 year old too. The covid shutdown gave him the opportunity to go back to the KHL and that is where he really broke out being a top goal scorer in the KHL till the NHL starter back up. It's crazy to think where he might be right now if he didnt go back there to play. He probably would of been called up by now from the AHL but that KHL run really gave him some goalscoring confidence. Great story for a draft pick that late.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
We drafted him a 20 year old too. The covid shutdown gave him the opportunity to go back to the KHL and that is where he really broke out being a top goal scorer in the KHL till the NHL starter back up. It's crazy to think where he might be right now if he didnt go back there to play. He probably would of been called up by now from the AHL but that KHL run really gave him some goalscoring confidence. Great story for a draft pick that late.
I remember pre-draft Friedman had a dedicated thought in his column that teams really liked him and it would be interesting to see where he gets picked

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

Devils have taken at least one overager each draft banking on a late bloomer type of outcome for the past 3 drafts. Interesting names for the most part. Wouldn't expect much from Baumgartner but the others are pretty decent gambles

Nico Daws
Baumgartner
Tyce Thompson
Sharangovich

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Devils have taken at least one overager each draft banking on a late bloomer type of outcome for the past 3 drafts. Interesting names for the most part. Wouldn't expect much from Baumgartner but the others are pretty decent gambles

Nico Daws
Baumgartner
Tyce Thompson
Sharangovich
Its common for goalies to get picked being 19 like Daws. Really like that pick too.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal

Nico Daws
Baumgartner
Tyce Thompson
Sharangovich
A lot of later round draft day steals are drafted as overagers, so this isn't surprising.

Tenkkapoo

Jul 28, 2020
Gee, what a surprise. A young Russian/Belarussian player who didn't ruin his career in the NA junior leagues actually breaking out.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Gee, what a surprise. A young Russian/Belarussian player who didn't ruin his career in the NA junior leagues actually breaking out.
Dude, I'm kinda on your side of the argument, but pick your battles more wisely. You are praising a player who chose AHL path after all. All that said, Sharangovich is an example why NHL teams should pick up KHL players only after they have done something more more than just made couple of appearances here and there. KHL should be viewed as a very legitimate development path and NHL GM's need to get over this "lets get him over the pond asap" thinking.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
f***ing lol @ "Russian/Belarussian"

"Hey guys, you hear about that great American/Canadian player named McDavid?!"
I mean since culture shock, language barrier, homesickness, etc. are often being cited as the issues prospect face Russians and Belarussians do absolutely fall under the same umbrella. Just like Matthews, McTavish and Clarke fit perfectly well under the "NA prospects in Europe" umbrella. One being from the USA and others from Canada really doesn't make a tangible difference in this context, just like in Sharangovich's case.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Small nitpick: Belarusian, not belarussian.

In the UK you pronounce it belarussian, while in NA you start normally with belarus then add ian at the end.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
I mean since culture shock, language barrier, homesickness, etc. are often being cited as the issues prospect face Russians and Belarussians do absolutely fall under the same umbrella. Just like Matthews, McTavish and Clarke fit perfectly well under the "NA prospects in Europe" umbrella. One being from the USA and others from Canada really doesn't make a tangible difference in this context, just like in Sharangovich's case.
You got all that context from this?:huh:

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

No other countries in Europe face these barriers. Only Russia...and Belarus...

And no other former soviet countries. Just those two.

He's just continuing his Russia good NA bad schtick from the other threads

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You got all that context from this?:huh:
I mean this discussion drags on over dozens of threads and literally thousands of posts. Pretty clear what he's saying.

No other countries in Europe face these barriers. Only Russia...and Belarus...

And no other former soviet countries. Just those two.

It's just funny that Russia gets tacked on there even though he's not from there and never played there. But if you wanna shit on the NA juniors and pump Russia's junior system you gotta somehow tie them in I guess.
It's probably not the time or the place for this but yes, Belarus is the only hockey country that shares a language with Russia (and reluctancy to learn English), a huge part of national ethos, the only one that saw the USSR as "our" country rather than occupant country, etc. I mean it's even in the name: Belarus means White Russia.

You can have whatever hockey opinion you want (although Sharangovich played 1 season in the MHL and 2 seasons in the KHL so the "never played there" part is extremely dubious) but there is nothing wrong with assuming Russian and Belarusian players are very similar and face similar issues.

Last edited:

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
He left the Russian system to play his draft year with the U20 program and later did choose the NA development system instead. The 2nd KHL season was because of travel restrictions + the NA leagues weren't playing.

I'm sure those barriers for young foreign players still exist for the AHL anyways. But this is the guy who thinks no player should go across unless they're leading the KHL in scoring. He's still very much developing in the NHL as it is.

Guy just wanted to start a fight about the two paths and decided to tack "Russia" on because he couldn't think of a single Belarusian who was ruined by the CHL (Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn had similar careers despite the different paths) and he's got old gripes about Russian busts who couldn't hack it.

Going so far as to criticize Klim Kostin for choosing North America. (except he didn't)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad