C William Karlsson (2011, 53rd overall, Anaheim)

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
When Boudreau was asked about the skillset of young Swedish center William Karlsson, he compared him to a fellow Swede who he used to coach. “I don’t want to give this comparison to give him too much credit,” he said. But if you watch him play, and if you’ve seen Nick Backstrom play, they skate the same, they have the same hair and they have the same mannerisms. If he could ever become a player like that, then that would be pretty special.”

Karlsson shined in the two Futures Games vs. San Jose earlier this month, leading the team with four points (2g/2a). Last night, Karlsson earned an assist on Patrick Maroon’s goal in the third period of Anaheim's 5-2 victory at Pepsi Center.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Boudreau compared his hair and manners to Backstrom more than he compared skill :laugh:

But looks like Karlsson does look good. We`ll see more in the next few days.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Book it. Two years from now we won't be resigning Kesler because of this guy!

This point doesn`t make much sense. Kesler has the qualities that Karlsson will never have - size and grit for sure and probably more. If someone has a chance to become our own new Kesler, it`s Kerdiles. They are actually pretty damn similar player types, except Kerdiles is younger so we don`t know just quite yet where his ceiling will be but he has been the best player on his national team and almost dominant on his college team 2 years he has been there, since day one (does anyone still remember his ridiculous suspension? When he got back the Badgers flipped from losing to winning immediately). Other thing is that Kerdiles mostly have played wing and is doing so now - but not that long ago has stated that Ducks want him in center. I think he`ll get his chance there. Kerdiles also could improve his game in his own zone if he want to reach Kesler level, but as far as i know he`s not bad in there either. I still think we could use Kesler after the next 2 seasons.

But this thread is about Karlsson. For now it looks that if he can make someone on the Ducks redundant - it`s Bonino who was recently traded away :)cry:)
Both are decent in two way game (their own zone) with very good passing with good overall offensive awareness. Bones was bigger but wasn`t physical anyway, Karlsson is faster. Bonino might be better in puck retreiving however.

Karlsson will be interesting to watch and see what he can do in North America. Last 2 years in Sweden were promising. Rookie of the year and last season also the team leader.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
"Anaheim will have rookie William Karlsson make his NHL debut tonight according to Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register."

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Karlsson just scored his first NHL goal vs Buffalo. The Anaheim PP set him up for three one-timers in that sequence before he scored on the fourth after the penalty expired.

[NHL]643165[/NHL]

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Damn. Great picks. Good draft.

I would have much much much preferred Karlsson to Bonino in the Kesler trade.

Yeah, I think Anaheim would have been a lot more hesitant to move Karlsson. No idea if that would have been a deal breaker or anything, because it was for Kesler... Everything I've heard suggests the organization is really high on him. Bonino is, obviously, the better current player, but I wouldn't bet against Karlsson surpassing him.

He's a guy that we've been quietly salivating about in Anaheim. Just so excited about him as a player.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yeah, I think Anaheim would have been a lot more hesitant to move Karlsson. No idea if that would have been a deal breaker or anything, because it was for Kesler... Everything I've heard suggests the organization is really high on him. Bonino is, obviously, the better current player, but I wouldn't bet against Karlsson surpassing him.

He's a guy that we've been quietly salivating about in Anaheim. Just so excited about him as a player.
I think it was possible at the deadline, same for Kerdiles, but I definitely think they'd have hesitated in the summer - after seeing what they did in Norfolk.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I think Karlsson has a lot higher upside than Bonino. I really think last season was the high water mark for Bonino.

I would want to think that Karlsson was on the table for Kesler. And if he was...ugh.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think Karlsson has a lot higher upside than Bonino. I really think last season was the high water mark for Bonino.

I would want to think that Karlsson was on the table for Kesler. And if he was...ugh.

That probably comes down to what your management was planning. Short-term gains vs. a longer term prospect. I don't know a ton about Vancouver's current team, or their prospect pool, but I might have tried to look longer term, and tried more of a rebuild. I'm not sure if that would work with the Sedins, though. They aren't old, by any stretch of the imagination, but they aren't getting any younger, and a rebuild might take you into their twilight years.

:dunno: I just think moving Kesler was a great opportunity to get that started. I'm a big fan of Bonino, and I loved him in Anaheim, but I'm not sold on him as a legitimate #2 center. He was never that in Anaheim. He was someone that Boudreau used in a lot of different situations, and effectively, but he's never proven he can handle those top six responsibilities every game, because he never got them in Anaheim. He was in a pretty great situation in Anaheim. Top PP time, was able to be used all over the line-up based on team needs... he was like the perfect utility type of player. Don't get me wrong, because I'd love to have him back in Anaheim, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with him as our one and only #2 center. He was just a significant part of the depth we had last year, and probably our 3rd most important forward.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
he has pretty much taken a job from rakell, karlsson seemed more naturally talented last year to. not sure what his upside is but he has tremendous tools to work with

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I remember watching this guy in the AHL playoffs in St John's and he impressed me along with Max Friberg.

Not really surprised to see him find success already in Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad