C William Karlsson (2011, 53rd overall, Anaheim)

Oct 18, 2011
867966864.gif

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm so impressed with his game at this level. If he is handled well by Anaheim he can be a real good player

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
he has pretty much taken a job from rakell, karlsson seemed more naturally talented last year to. not sure what his upside is but he has tremendous tools to work with

2c with 60 point highs and a two way proficiency wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He plays a smart game and has a lot of the technical stuff down. But he could very well be more of a depth scoring depth scorer like a better Saku koivu. I just think he could be more than that.

BadgerDuck

Apr 19, 2014
I'm trying not to get too excited about this kid, but it's really hard not to. He's an absolute sniper and has obviously got the goods. His production is only going to go up and quite frankly, it should probably be better already given that the second PP unit seems to be pretty much designed to get him wide open weak side one timers.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The Swedish gifts just keep coming.

I'm trying to pace my excitement, but I have been a HUGE Karlsson fan for a while. I've been saying he is our best forward prospect for over ayear now.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I never really was that impressed by Karlsson. I didnt think he would make it but I am glad he did. Nice to see him do well =)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I never really was that impressed by Karlsson. I didnt think he would make it but I am glad he did. Nice to see him do well =)

I don't see him as a better prospect than Backlund or Josefsson were a few years back. He's got the talent to become a good NHL center but i would keep my expectations low right now.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I don't see him as a better prospect than Backlund or Josefsson were a few years back. He's got the talent to become a good NHL center but i would keep my expectations low right now.

Well Backlund is a legit 2C and Josefson isn't an NHL player so if he is Backlund level scoring 40 pts a year and playing against the opposing team's top line and doing well, I think they're happy to have a guy like that.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Well Backlund is a legit 2C and Josefson isn't an NHL player so if he is Backlund level scoring 40 pts a year and playing against the opposing team's top line and doing well, I think they're happy to have a guy like that.

Sure, him becoming a Backlund or Kruger would be great but I wouldn't expect him to be much more. I think he could turn into a scorer in the NHL but not many players reach their full potential.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

I don't think he's the better prospect either based on junior play but what speaks in Karlsson's favor is that he's taken one step at a time and been productive at every level before taking the next step. I've never been high on Josefson's offense though. If he can do what Backlund does to a team then that's good, but I think he's a little more of a creative force overall that could make him a good producer. Backlund will soon eclipse 50 points though imo.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

Is there really a reason to not see him as a better prospect than Josefson, though? I mean, Karlsson was a far better scorer in Swedish juniors and had done a lot better than Josefsson in Swedish professional hockey, and while it was also just a very short time, Karlsson was immediately an impact player in the AHL. I think there's no reason to not hold him in higher regard than Josefsson, even if you go back to Josefsson's projections from a couple years back. Karlsson's skill set isn't really limited offensively. Sure, there's always questions whether someone realizes his potential, but Karlsson is further along to doing so and especially in terms of upside there's just more potential there, to me.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Karlsson has gone from incredibly underrated to overrated - all because of a couple goals. I have watched the games and he has looked pretty good, but seems to get knocked off the puck fairly easily and hasn't impressed me nearly as much as others.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Karlsson has gone from incredibly underrated to overrated - all because of a couple goals. I have watched the games and he has looked pretty good, but seems to get knocked off the puck fairly easily and hasn't impressed me nearly as much as others.

Well I'm not a fan of his game because of how well or poorly he holds onto the puck, nor do I think he's a future 30 goal scorer yet. But I'm loving several aspects of his game that I can see progressing to make him a very well rounded and useful player. Just as it may be too early to dub him the next Backstrom it's too early to think that his puck control can't get better. He's played like what...6 games of professional North American hockey? The reason why I'm personally so excited about him is he's come into the NHL and looks pretty damn comfortable and useful already. Not every young player who comes over from Europe had such a quick settling in period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad