C William Karlsson (2011, 53rd overall, Anaheim)

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
Same here. So underated. I feel that in 5 years he will be the best player out of all the current Ducks forward prospects.

How weird, this is exactly how he progresses in NHL games :sarcasm: Nab him in the 2nd, he progresses very slow but ends up as a 60-70 point center.

Northman77

Jun 12, 2013
Another neat touch from him this season was that he went out and apologised to fans after going -5 in a game - he was properly annoyed about it as well. He takes his defensive work seriously besides being a very good producer.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Same here. So underated. I feel that in 5 years he will be the best player out of all the current Ducks forward prospects.
Agreed.

Been high on this kid ever since we drafted him, just love everything I hear about him.

Northman77

Jun 12, 2013
Some random things:

Chosen as player of the year by HV71 (with 60% of the votes, largest margin ever). His leadership, work ethic and professionalism were all raised as reasons for the win.

The club's YouTube channel made a 'thank you' video for him as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3U8Iuyfoc - Not much hockey in it perhaps, but still funny and gives a bit of his character.

franklin

Apr 6, 2011
William Karlsson has been assigned to the AHL.
He will finish the year in Norfolk after he recorded 15 goals and 37 points in 55 games with HV71 Jonkoping of the Swedish Hockey League this campaign. Karlsson was selected in the second round (53rd overall) in the 2011 draft. Source: Corey Pronman on Twitter

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Very nice to hear. Drafted him pretty late in my keeper league in 2011 and have been patiently waiting for him. Ducks are a great situation for him to slowly work his way into the lineup starting next year.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Some random things:

Chosen as player of the year by HV71 (with 60% of the votes, largest margin ever). His leadership, work ethic and professionalism were all raised as reasons for the win.

The club's YouTube channel made a 'thank you' video for him as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3U8Iuyfoc - Not much hockey in it perhaps, but still funny and gives a bit of his character.

He just keeps surprising in a good way

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
Some random things:

:laugh: the Justin Bieber music. Looks like he does vlogs or something. Hope he has a good camp next year and helps Norfolk in the playoffs this year.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
:laugh: the Justin Bieber music. Looks like he does vlogs or something. Hope he has a good camp next year and helps Norfolk in the playoffs this year.

IIRC he did vlogs for HV71 during last summer at training camp in Cali. Those were pretty funny, especially when he visited the dentist. Let's see if I can find them.

Edit: Couldn't find the dentist clip. But I found some stuff from training(?) camp. They talk Swedish, though ;)

13:50 - 17:30
YztAYCok0WE

09:40 - 14:30
7JWcT3zwEeM

Edit 2: Dentist at 14:50 and forward.
http://www.hv71.se/artikel/40800/

Last edited:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He looked fantastic in his first game with Norfolk. The only question that I have for him at the NHL level right now is physical strength. He plays a very NHL-friendly game, and it doesn't look like the difference in ice surface is presenting any challenge for him. There are two more games this weekend, so maybe some problem will present itself, but if it doesn't, I'd have no problem with him getting a look in the last few games.

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
He looked fantastic in his first game with Norfolk. The only question that I have for him at the NHL level right now is physical strength. He plays a very NHL-friendly game, and it doesn't look like the difference in ice surface is presenting any challenge for him. There are two more games this weekend, so maybe some problem will present itself, but if it doesn't, I'd have no problem with him getting a look in the last few games.

He has always looked better on smaller ice imo. When comparing performance in world juniors atleast.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I definitely think that he won't be available for the WCs, well depending on how Anaheim does in the post season. He looks NHL-ready to me. He made an absurd pass to set up Etem in today's game; on the heels of a great defensive play.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
2 goals and 6 assists in his first 8 games. He's a demon on defense and has a very nice and smart physical game. High IQ. Plays in all situations. He has played a huge role in Norfolk making the playoffs the last few weeks - Bailey, Manson, and Kerdiles have also helped. This kid is legit.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
2 goals and 6 assists in his first 8 games. He's a demon on defense and has a very nice and smart physical game. High IQ. Plays in all situations. He has played a huge role in Norfolk making the playoffs the last few weeks - Bailey, Manson, and Kerdiles have also helped. This kid is legit.

Agreed!

I've caught 3 of Norfolk's games since Karlsson has joined on, and all I can say is the Ducks have themselves an awesome player on their hands! don't see him spending any time in Norfolk next year. He's going to force his way onto the roster from what I've seen.

AFTeRMaTH*

The Rich get Richer. Not to mention two first rounders this upcoming draft. I hate you.

BadgerDuck

Apr 19, 2014
Agreed!

I've caught 3 of Norfolk's games since Karlsson has joined on, and all I can say is the Ducks have themselves an awesome player on their hands! don't see him spending any time in Norfolk next year. He's going to force his way onto the roster from what I've seen.

How is he in the face-off circle? Won't that largely determine how quickly he gets to Anaheim?

That's my one concern as we move forward because we finished 20th in face-off win percentage this season and we only have one true go-to face-off winner in Getzlaf. Then you factor in the fact that guys like Rakell and Kerdiles aren't natural centers and it presents a lot of questions when it comes to who's going to be able to win draws in the next coming years.

Northman77

Jun 12, 2013
How is he in the face-off circle? Won't that largely determine how quickly he gets to Anaheim?

That's my one concern as we move forward because we finished 20th in face-off win percentage this season and we only have one true go-to face-off winner in Getzlaf. Then you factor in the fact that guys like Rakell and Kerdiles aren't natural centers and it presents a lot of questions when it comes to who's going to be able to win draws in the next coming years.

Can't talk about AHL, but in SHL he was good - 51.3% won, took most faceoffs in his team (about twice as many as any other player) and in even distribution between offensive and defensive zone starts. Generally took them in key situations in both zones as well - impressive for such a young player. He was a lot better in offensive zone though (56.23% compared to 46.36% in defensive zone) - Not sure why though.

I think it's an area he can develop a bit further in as well, he got good anticipation, size and skill so if he can be trusted with taking them he should be able to maintain his percentage in NHL and possible even get a bit better.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I seriously doubt it will in any way impede his progress. He hasn't looked bad there by any means.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Does anyone other than Duck fans know about this guy? He might be our best prospect. What a showing in the 2 games this weekend vs the Sharks.

Reminds me of Backstrom.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Does anyone other than Duck fans know about this guy? He might be our best prospect. What a showing in the 2 games this weekend vs the Sharks.

Reminds me of Backstrom.
I'm sure there's going to be a lot of people wondering where the hell that guy came from over the next few years. I'm looking forward to him starting to make an impact.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Hope this guy gets our 3rd line center spot this season, he impressed me when he came over and played in the AHL last season, looked him up and fell in love with him as a prospect, he has impressed during prospect camp/scrimmages and now at training camp and preseason. Might be our best prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad