C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Wonder if he'll sign after the season...there's lots of arguments for and against.

The way I see it, I want him separated from his line mates, and offensively he's clearly good enough to move to another league. I think he (and the other two) could benefit in all areas of his game by playing with new players who he doesn't know as well.

On the other hand, placing him on this crap team would be setting him up to look pretty bad.
BC is expecting him to return but we all know how much can change between now and the beginning of next year

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Wonder if he'll sign after the season...there's lots of arguments for and against.

The way I see it, I want him separated from his line mates, and offensively he's clearly good enough to move to another league. I think he (and the other two) could benefit in all areas of his game by playing with new players who he doesn't know as well.

On the other hand, placing him on this crap team would be setting him up to look pretty bad.
I could see him struggling his first year, similar to how Hughes did. They play a similar style that will take some time to get rolling against NHL defenders and schemes. I do think Smith has erased any doubt as to his status as an elite prospect.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I could see him struggling his first year, similar to how Hughes did. They play a similar style that will take some time to get rolling against NHL defenders and schemes. I do think Smith has erased any doubt as to his status as an elite prospect.
Yeah and he obviously doesn't have the skating as Hughes. Which would make him look even worse.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Finished the regular season strong last night with 1 nice short-handed snipe showing his quick release, and two primary assists. One was a great play to seal the boards, quick hands to stall for a second while his defenseman crashed to the middle of the ice, solid if unspectacular feed to him for the high slot finish. Smith still made the play. And Gauthier's goal was a very slick no look pass by Smith through traffic for a relatively simple back door goal.

Overall for the shifts I watched he was less sluggish today and a bit more active in the forecheck. He's definitely dangerous on the PP from the half boards as a shooter or passer.

He's second in PPG to Macklin I believe. Will be fun to watch how the NCAA tourney unfolds.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm really curious when we'll see him in teal. Could be very soon.

He's in a win-win situation. He has the skill and IQ to play in the NHL now, even if it'll come with some growing pains that would be minimized with another college season. Or he could return to a BC team that will likely be loaded again next year with an opportunity to win another WJC gold and make another run at an NCAA championship. And while he'd probably destroy college hockey on the score sheet in a sophomore season, he could still improve his conditioning, strength, etc. to minimize some of the NHL growing pains. And if the upcoming Four Nations and Olympics don't motivate more NHLers to show up for the World Championships, he could easily play in the next 2 of those, too.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
He's in a win-win situation. He has the skill and IQ to play in the NHL now, even if it'll come with some growing pains that would be minimized with another college season. Or he could return to a BC team that will likely be loaded again next year with an opportunity to win another WJC gold and make another run at an NCAA championship. And while he'd probably destroy college hockey on the score sheet in a sophomore season, he could still improve his conditioning, strength, etc. to minimize some of the NHL growing pains. And if the upcoming Four Nations and Olympics don't motivate more NHLers to show up for the World Championships, he could easily play in the next 2 of those, too.
Sounds like Perreault is leaning stay. Depending on how they do at the tourney there may be unfinished business for all three of them, and the chance to keep working on strength and conditioning in a good developmental environment.

Then again, there are millions to be made and if they do win the tourney, maybe Smith (and Leonard) take the next step.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Sounds like Perreault is leaning stay. Depending on how they do at the tourney there may be unfinished business for all three of them, and the chance to keep working on strength and conditioning in a good developmental environment.

Then again, there are millions to be made and if they do win the tourney, maybe Smith (and Leonard) take the next step.

Yeah, I think the tournament is going to be a huge factor. If they don't take home the NCAA title it wouldn't surprise to see two Mass kids stick around to run it back again next season.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It definitely doesn’t sound him turning pro is out of the question. From Todd Marchant, our head of player dev:

"It's a conversation we'll have to have with him, his family, and coaches," Marchant said. I'll use an Anaheim player, Trevor Zegras. He went to BU for one year and then turned pro, and he's a pretty good NHL player. It's not uncommon for these guys to be able to do that."

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
It definitely doesn’t sound him turning pro is out of the question. From Todd Marchant, our head of player dev:

"It's a conversation we'll have to have with him, his family, and coaches," Marchant said. I'll use an Anaheim player, Trevor Zegras. He went to BU for one year and then turned pro, and he's a pretty good NHL player. It's not uncommon for these guys to be able to do that."
It’ll be interesting to see what he decides to do. I certainly don’t think it’ll hurt him to go back to BC for another year. There have been very few kids if any who I've said to myself, man staying for another year in school really hurt their development.

He wouldn’t be going back to get better offensively, it’d be to get stronger, faster and better defensively. Gauthier took a big leap in all 3 areas this year, it’d help Smith too. Could he go to San Jose and play next year, sure. Would he get to kill penalties, match up on the other teams first line, play in all situations, improve at faceoffs and put on another 5-10lbs of muscle? Probably not

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00