C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It’ll be interesting to see what he decides to do. I certainly don’t think it’ll hurt him to go back to BC for another year. There have been very few kids if any who I've said to myself, man staying for another year in school really hurt their development.

He wouldn’t be going back to get better offensively, it’d be to get stronger, faster and better defensively. Gauthier took a big leap in all 3 areas this year, it’d help Smith too. Could he go to San Jose and play next year, sure. Would he get to kill penalties, match up on the other teams first line, play in all situations, improve at faceoffs and put on another 5-10lbs of muscle? Probably not

Yeah, the impatient fan in me would love for him to join the team - or even go to the AHL and see how he does. But I certainly see the value of staying in college for one more year.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Would he get to kill penalties, match up on the other teams first line, play in all situations, improve at faceoffs and put on another 5-10lbs of muscle? Probably not
Trial by fire.

They still wont be trying to win next year so its likely that he could actually spend some minutes doing all those things.

I dont really care what he does, the Sharks just need to keep him happy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
He is good but I would worry about the lack of talent surrounding him on forward if he makes the jump Eklund looks fantastic but they should still be looking to bring him along slowly

• Wow

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
He is good but I would worry about the lack of talent surrounding him on forward if he makes the jump Eklund looks fantastic but they should still be looking to bring him along slowly
Also I'm not referring to Eklund it would be a drastic change in the quality of teammates he plays with and when he comes up you want him and Eklund on separate lines as line drivers see if he wants to play in the ahl if not then another year in NCAA won't hurt

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Less of a concern of there being talented players, more about all of their top talented forwards possibly being quite young (i.e., Eklund, possibly Celebrini, Smith, Musty, etc.)

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Less of a concern of there being talented players, more about all of their top talented forwards possibly being quite young (i.e., Eklund, possibly Celebrini, Smith, Musty, etc.)
Sharks should try to target some quality vets to help break em in especially if they win the lotto it would be hard to break those two guys in at once they should stagger injecting the young talent throughout the roster

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
BU guy trying to take Smith from BC just to hurt @sigx15
I’m not the least bit surprised a BU guy would try to do everything possible to hurt BC’s chances at a Natty!

In all seriousness, Will Smith could play at the NHL level next year, so could Ryan Leonard. That said, it sounds like Smith has been leaning towards going back but Grier and the Sharks are trying to convince him otherwise. Going back to BC isn’t about improving offensively outside of maybe improving his shot a bit. He has a lot of physical development, defensive development to do, improve his speed and get better at a lot of the little things face offs, penalty killing, etc. He’ll have more opportunity to do those at BC than doing those in San Jose while he’s also trying to adjust to the speed and physicality at the NHL level. We’ll see what happens, im hopeful he goes back but it’s also incredibly hard to turn down the opportunity to play in the NHL

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Grier is obviously making him a pitch to turn pro, but let's look at it from Smith's perspective. Play on an awful team in SJ, while getting accustomed to the NHL. Or be one of (if not the) hobey baker favourites on the top ranked team in the NCAA. I think BC draws in bigger crowds than the Sharks right now. Yeah obviously everyone would call it a development year or whatever, but he'd be a celebrity in the NCAA as the returning points leader, top-5 draft pick, etc.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Grier is obviously making him a pitch to turn pro, but let's look at it from Smith's perspective. Play on an awful team in SJ, while getting accustomed to the NHL. Or be one of (if not the) hobey baker favourites on the top ranked team in the NCAA. I think BC draws in bigger crowds than the Sharks right now. Yeah obviously everyone would call it a development year or whatever, but he'd be a celebrity in the NCAA as the returning points leader, top-5 draft pick, etc.
Ya I just watched the Grier interview. It didnt sound as convincing as the quotes made it sound like on twitter. Definitely sounds like theyre trying to convince him to come out but Grier also said a spot on the roster isnt guaranteed, just a spot at camp to come in and compete. He said no decision has been made but they should hear back in the next few days. Will be interesting to hear what Smith comes back with

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Ya I just watched the Grier interview. It didnt sound as convincing as the quotes made it sound like on twitter. Definitely sounds like theyre trying to convince him to come out but Grier also said a spot on the roster isnt guaranteed, just a spot at camp to come in and compete. He said no decision has been made but they should hear back in the next few days. Will be interesting to hear what Smith comes back with
Definitely makes sense. Playing on a line with Kunin is a privilege you have to earn.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I have a feeling that the $1M paycheck while living in San Jose may entice a young player a little bit...

Don't think he would care as much about the Boston College vs. NHL crowds while watching hundreds of thousands of dollars flow into his bank account.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I have a feeling that the $1M paycheck while living in San Jose may entice a young player a little bit...

Don't think he would care as much about the Boston College vs. NHL crowds while watching hundreds of thousands of dollars flow into his bank account.
This could be said about every single first rounder that comes back to college... Sure San Jose is cooler than a lot of them but for many it's more fulfilling to play one more year with friends, trying to get a title while being the big man on campus.

Also the first check would be $95,000 and then nothing until the seasons starts.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024

I'm not sure the kid from metro Boston who grew up going to BC hockey games with his father/grandfather who were themselves both alums is itching to leave Massachusetts just because the team that drafted him is located in San Jose. And something tells me the money will be waiting for him whether he decides to leave now or a year from now.

Not that there aren't reasons for Smith to decide to sign, but the team being located in San Jose and a cash advance aren't compelling ones.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I'm not sure the kid from metro Boston who grew up going to BC hockey games with his father/grandfather who were themselves both alums is itching to leave Massachusetts just because the team that drafted him is located in San Jose. And something tells me the money will be waiting for him whether he decides to leave now or a year from now.

Not that there aren't reasons for Smith to decide to sign, but the team being located in San Jose and a cash advance aren't compelling ones.
Be honest, is this a Will Smith burner account? Not hating, but I feel like you are trying to will Smith into staying a year via posting hah

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
San Jose isnt enticing anyone to go live there lol

This is going to be a questino of growth for WS and where the team projects itself next season.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Be honest, is this a Will Smith burner account? Not hating, but I feel like you are trying to will Smith into staying a year via posting hah
I just think the way people think about college hockey is obtuse or at least outdated. Looking no deeper than point totals to conclude that a prospect has nothing left to gain in that "beer league." Projecting their own focus on money and professional success to conclude that teenagers must too believe that college is inherently subservient to the pros.

The narrative before Leonard turned down the Caps was that he was "NHL ready." And it was even more so treated as a foregone conclusion he would sign with Washington once they made the playoffs. I suggested in his case then the same I am with Smith now: that it's worth considering the decision from the perspective of kids who have ambitions/motivations related to their friends/family/state/school/country that can exist alongside their professional/financial ones.

If all it came down to was money and getting to the NHL ASAP, why would Leonard have turned down the Caps? Why would this even be a decision for Smith at all?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I've been exposed, I'm sorry, it’s me, I run a burner for the BC coaching staff so they all come back. I was the one who convinced Gauthier to come back and Philly mgmt were all dirtbags! I convinced Leonard the Caps are all KGB sleeper agents and now working on Smith. San Jose’s staff is just trying to sign him so BC doesn’t win a natty and they’re going to bury him in the AHL next year.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Making 1M a year should be convincing enough

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Making 1M a year should be convincing enough
Many players choose to go back to school despite that money (which he won't make if he's in the AHL), so it's obviously not convincing enough in all cases. Leonard could have signed with Washington but has already indicated that he will return to BC. No word on Perreault, but the expectations are that he will return as well.

Once Smith signs, that's it. There's no going back. My guess is he goes back to BC with his friends to try to win a championship. They weren't all committed to BC in the beginning, but they all ended up going there together. I think there's a good chance they will all leave BC together as well, most likely after next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad