C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Still better to take the risk going for a talented center rather than a limited upside defenseman, whose scoring is way down this year, because he is a RHD.
I had Reinbacher 5th OV prior the draft if you include Michkov, so obviously I disagree with your take. Reinbacher is playing on an horrendous team, we will hear more about him next year when he joins Laval.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I had Reinbacher 5th OV prior the draft if you include Michkov, so obviously I disagree with your take. Reinbacher is playing on an horrendous team, we will hear more about him next year when he joins Laval.
You're not even slightly concerned by how much his numbers have dropped in his D+1 year? He definitely still has a lot of time to develop though.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
You're not even slightly concerned by how much his numbers have dropped in his D+1 year? He definitely still has a lot of time to develop though.
Nope since he had to deal with some injuries, what may explain his slow start. I havent watched him a ton this year, but when I did he looked good. Kloten is hard to watch, I will enjoy watching the kid once he joins the farm.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Ooh, then I’m quite curious what your top-10 looked like, particularly who else other than the obvious five that you had over Smith.

30/70. I think he’ll want to do one more year at BC, and I think it would be the smart decision. But it could go the other way.

This was my list pre-draft.
1. Bedard
2. Michkov
3. Fantilli
4. Benson
5. Reinbacher
6. Carlsson
7. Moore
8. Leonard
9. But
10. Smith

If I did a redraft today it would be like this:
1. Bedard
2. Michkov
3. Fantilli
4. Carlsson
5. Benson
6. Reinbacher
7. Dvorsky
8. Willander
9. Leonard
10. Smith

It's always such a crapshoot. If you ask me in another 3 months, the list could be different again. I was clearly too high on Moore. Not totally sure about But as I haven't followed him much since pre-draft. And I felt Dvorsky and Willander both climbed faster in their development arc. If Reinbacher hadn't looked so damn poised and and fluid in the Habs' camp this year verses pro's, I'd likely had dropped him below both Dvorsky and Willander. But he almost looked ready to jump in.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nope since he had to deal with some injuries, what may explain his slow start. I havent watched him a ton this year, but when I did he looked good. Kloten is hard to watch, I will enjoy watching the kid once he joins the farm.
I watched a metric ton of Reinbacher last season and felt like his production was way too high compared to his actual offensive ability. And I like Reinbacher a lot and think he was a reasonable pick for the Habs given that they wouldn't take Michkov.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think conditioning is Smith's main issue. Endurance and strength are currently an issue for sure mostly in how his play can wind down as games go on. But it exacerbates most of the flaws in his game

His skating needs some work, especially his starts. He donkey kicks a bit in his first 3 strides when he goes from a hard stop. So he'll loop a lot so he doesn't have to stop. In addition to the strength problem, it leads to him not having the burst and the half stride he would need to make a play offensively or defensively.

I think he knows his role on that line when it comes to forechecking. He's almost always the high cover man for Leonard and Perrault while they go in first to dig out pucks in the corners. He'll never be the primary forechecker on his line and I don't think he'll ever be a physical force but he can forecheck and he can pick pockets with the best of them and pick off breakout passes in the neutral zone regularly.

I would like to see him more involved defensively down low. His positioning is better but there are a lot of times where he peels off the puck carrier instead of hounding them, usually in favor of getting into position to start the rush while letting Perrault or Leonard get into the physical board battle.

There are games and moments where he flashes everything he has to create offense. Like he'll be picking pockets on the forecheck, picking off breakout passes, slice through the neutral zone, and just doing wizard things offensively that really makes me believe in the ceiling. But he has clear flaws, mostly physical, right now that he needs to work through to get there

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Great weekend for Fresh Prince. 2G on Friday (edit: had 0A, it was a classic "tertiary assist" so no A), nice goals too. 1G/1A on Saturday.

Saturday observations from watching most but not all freshman line shifts and probably 50% of the rest of the game: today, Smith and Perreault carried the line, Leonard was his usual junkyard dog but wasn't as dangerous and had some poor giveaways (Perreault also had one). All three do really know how to play together.

Smith breakaway goal -- he isn't completely burning the dude but he definitely had the wheels to get a clean break. Good pass by Perreault but as Barrie22 said on Sharks thread, better decision by Smith to 1) push up ice ahead of the play and 2) let the puck bounce off the boards for a better angle and speed. Good backhand finish.

The Perreault goal was a very nice job by Smith, with waaay too much time in the slot, looking for an opportunity to shoot, looking right to Leonard, but deciding to slide it left to Perreault. Gauthier would have just pumped a shot.

Other observations: Smith had some of his usual floating on D, but he also had some hard puck battles and forechecks that were the best of his off-puck play. He was firing a lot of pucks today, almost shoot-first but making smart decisions (again, I'm always amazed at how often Gauthier just decides to pump it to the goal). Had a couple other solid chances, generally looked dangerous and not like the line passenger.

Very cool -- in the last 2 minutes, Smith took all 3 critical faceoffs, 2 in the OZ and one in the DZ, even with Gauthier on the ice, and he won all 3. Generally looked solid on FO's all game.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Great weekend for Fresh Prince. 2G/1A on Friday, nice goals too. 1G/1A on Saturday.

Saturday observations from watching most but not all freshman line shifts and probably 50% of the rest of the game: today, Smith and Perreault carried the line, Leonard was his usual junkyard dog but wasn't as dangerous and had some poor giveaways (Perreault also had one). All three do really know how to play together.

Smith breakaway goal -- he isn't completely burning the dude but he definitely had the wheels to get a clean break. Good pass by Perreault but as Barrie22 said on Sharks thread, better decision by Smith to 1) push up ice ahead of the play and 2) let the puck bounce off the boards for a better angle and speed. Good backhand finish.

The Perreault goal was a very nice job by Smith, with waaay too much time in the slot, looking for an opportunity to shoot, looking right to Leonard, but deciding to slide it left to Perreault. Gauthier would have just pumped a shot.

Other observations: Smith had some of his usual floating on D, but he also had some hard puck battles and forechecks that were the best of his off-puck play. He was firing a lot of pucks today, almost shoot-first but making smart decisions (again, I'm always amazed at how often Gauthier just decides to pump it to the goal). Had a couple other solid chances, generally looked dangerous and not like the line passenger.

Very cool -- in the last 2 minutes, Smith took all 3 critical faceoffs, 2 in the OZ and one in the DZ, even with Gauthier on the ice, and he won all 3. Generally looked solid on FO's all game.
Only 2G on Friday, no assist.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
So for the prospect experts out there, would you guys say Will Smith
A)On about the same level as Fantilli/Carlsson
B)Slightly below Fantilli/Carlsson
C)Significantly below Fantilli/Carlsson

• Wow

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So for the prospect experts out there, would you guys say Will Smith
A)On about the same level as Fantilli/Carlsson
B)Slightly below Fantilli/Carlsson
C)Significantly below Fantilli/Carlsson
Significantly below Fantilli and Carlsson, but that’s not a knock on Smith so much as it is that Fantilli and Carlsson are ridiculously good.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Smith picked up two primary helpers last night, pushing his point-streak to 10 games.

He has scored in all but 3 games so far this season and is tied for 4th in scoring nationwide with Celebrini, Gabe Perreault just can’t be caught o_O

His last 9 points have been primary points as well (this is for the Sharks board).

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Smith picked up two primary helpers last night, pushing his point-streak to 10 games.

He has scored in all but 3 games so far this season and is tied for 4th in scoring nationwide with Celebrini, Gabe Perreault just can’t be caught o_O

His last 9 points have been primary points as well (this is for the Sharks board).
He’s been really good lately, especially on the power play. Hes really turned it up a notch there. 18 points on his 10 games point streak at BC. It’s been fun to watch. Beanpot will be on ESPN+, TSN+ and NESN so lots of availability to see him play the next couple weeks

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Does anyone have a clip of his assist to Perrault?

Great game by Smith and his line in general. He and Perrault have been on fire since the world juniors. Since Nov 3:
30 points in 19 NCAA games
9 points in 7 WJC games

Pointless in 2 games during that span (1 NCAA and 1 WJC)
BC is pretty good about posting clips of goals on their Twitter, anytime you’re looking for one, check there first

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
C for Fantilli.

I think the gap between him and Carlsson is more than significant but I love Leo.
I think Smith has a much lower floor than Fantili/Carlsson, but a ceiling that is above both.

The HockeyIQ on this guy really is insane, and his passing is absultely top notch. Two things that are really hard to teach. I think Smith becomes a constant 90 pt center in a few years, with a few triple digit seasons in there. I think you are going to see the same from Fantili, with a lower peak but more longevity.

Carlsson is much less flashy, but he really does play like he is 25, and is extremely responsible. I do not think you are going to be seeing many 90 point seasons from Leo, but he is going to have a similar overall impact on winning games as the two.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think Smith has a much lower floor than Fantili/Carlsson, but a ceiling that is above both.

The HockeyIQ on this guy really is insane, and his passing is absultely top notch. Two things that are really hard to teach. I think Smith becomes a constant 90 pt center in a few years, with a few triple digit seasons in there. I think you are going to see the same from Fantili, with a lower peak but more longevity.

Carlsson is much less flashy, but he really does play like he is 25, and is extremely responsible. I do not think you are going to be seeing many 90 point seasons from Leo, but he is going lol to have a similar overall impact on winning games as the two.

This is a bad take, especially about Carlsson.

I’m convinced 90% of people have not watched Carlsson play and just assume he is a typical Swedish two-way center and give lazy Backstrom comps (that is no slight to backstrom). I’d argue he could be the “flashiest” of the three.

As for Smith, I think it is clear that he has the lowest floor, but i think his high-end offensive skills gives him a ceiling that is close to Fantilli/Carlsson (although I think he is less likely to hit his ceiling than the other two.)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Carlsson is much less flashy, but he really does play like he is 25, and is extremely responsible. I do not think you are going to be seeing many 90 point seasons from Leo, but he is going to have a similar overall impact on winning games as the two.
He isnt even the best passer on his line, or has the highest IQ on his line.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
He isnt even the best passer on his line, or has the highest IQ on his line.
As has been covered extensively elsewhere, I don't think it's certain that Perreault is a better passer or has higher IQ. Some games he looks like it, other games Smith looks like it. They work crazy well together as a line. Rangers fans point to Perreault's point totals and vision, Sharks fans either point to Smith's vision, goals/assists ratio as better than Perreault, Perreault's turnovers, OR lament that Smith is not already Jesus Christ (we're angsty), and Caps fans love how Leonard is always visible every shift.

We'll all need to wait until they're not playing together to get the next good evaluation.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Perreault is going to put up slightly more points and has slightly better offensive ability.

But I think Smith will negate that by being a center, a better skater, taller, and better defensively.

Both looking like similar level players. Smith went where he should’ve. It shouldn’t be a knock on him that Perreault went low and is now exceeding expectations. You’d probably like Smith to be out scoring Perreault if you are a Sharks fan, but it shouldn’t be viewed as a huge deal either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad