C/W Xavier Bourgault - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL (2021, 22nd, EDM)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Top 10 pick ins redraft?

Definitely not.

Maybe top-15.

He's definitely passed :

Eklund
Boucher
Rosen
Svechkov
Lysell

... and maybe Coronato and Lucius (although hard to compare with NCAA guys). Bolduc and Othmann had very similar seasons to Bourgault and those three guys are probably a toss-up.

But also Wyatt Johnson, Olen Zellweger, and Logan Stankoven have probably passed him.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Top 10 pick ins redraft?
tough to crack the top 10, not a knock on Bourgault, but alot of the guys from this class had good years. If anything I'd say he moved up maybe to 14-16, but I think he's closed the gap between himself and the people drafted before him.

ReDraft -
1. Owen Power
2. Matt Beniers
3. Mason McTavish
4. Luke Hughes
5. Kent Johnson
6. Cole Sillinger
7. Dylan Guenther
8. Wyatt Johnson
9. Simon Edvinsson
10. Brennan Othmann?

Clarke, Cossa, Stankvonen, Wallstedt, Zellweger, Lucius some other notables

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Definitely not.

Maybe top-15.

He's definitely passed :

Eklund
Boucher
Rosen
Svechkov
Lysell

... and maybe Coronato and Lucius (although hard to compare with NCAA guys). Bolduc and Othmann had very similar seasons to Bourgault and those three guys are probably a toss-up.

But also Wyatt Johnson, Olen Zellweger, and Logan Stankoven have probably passed him.
There's not a GM in the league that would take Bourgault over Eklund... Imagine Eklund in the Q instead of playing with adults on one of the worst teams in the league.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Anyone in there nhl comparables?
Haven't watched actual games enough so still don't have a read on the play style

My take aways from highlights is speed, silky mitts and his shot seems accurate and quick

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Anyone in there nhl comparables?
Haven't watched actual games enough so still don't have a read on the play style

My take aways from highlights is speed, silky mitts and his shot seems accurate and quick
Poor man's Alex Tanguay maybe.

Both are guys that weren't defined by size, power, or speed.

Just good head for the game and good hands.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Top 10 pick ins redraft?
Where does Joshua Roy go then in the re-draft, top-3?

For someone who doesn't follow the Q on daily basis, it's extremely hard to see where this hype is coming from. His numbers are nothing out of the ordinary for that kind of prospect, size is still an obvious issue when he's going to transition to men's leagues..

Overtaken Eklund, Lysell, Svechkov? Lmao. So basically everyone who actually faces tougher competition. That's how it works? Svechkov only scored over PPG on one of the best teams in men's league instead of playing against Quebec kids, what a bum...

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
still shocked, Oilers traded down to pick this guy instead of drafting a franchise goalie like Wallstedt.

Bourgault wont be NHL ready until probably after Draisaittl and Mcdavid are free agents.

Meanwhile the 6'3 monster in Wallstedt posted a 1.98 GAA and .917 sv % in 22 games in the SHL as an 18/19 yr old .

Oilers should have picked this stud or traded the pick away completely for some actual help to Mcdavid and Draisaittl.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Bourgault is an absolute beast and was the most dangerous player on Shawinigan this entiire postseason. That top line looks lost without him controlling the puck and expanding the ice. No different than Pat Kane in Chicago at his peak, when his linemates just let him do all the hard work and weaved around everybody. They try to hit him and it does nothing because he's too slippery. Oilers got a good one no doubt.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Bourgault is an absolute beast and was the most dangerous player on Shawinigan this entiire postseason. That top line looks lost without him controlling the puck and expanding the ice. No different than Pat Kane in Chicago at his peak, when his linemates just let him do all the hard work and weaved around everybody. They try to hit him and it does nothing because he's too slippery. Oilers got a good one no doubt.
Its really hard to evaluate Q players based on offensive production because the Q is a lower tier compared to the Dub and O. Joshua Roy destroyed the Q in his D+1 (including playoffs) and i don't consider him a blue-chipper. Similarly XB produced excellent numbers but hard to annoint him a bonafide bluechipper.

Bourgeault will likely play another season in the Q and a season (or partial season) in the AHL before beginning his NHL career.

Reactions: mouz135

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
still shocked, Oilers traded down to pick this guy instead of drafting a franchise goalie like Wallstedt.

Bourgault wont be NHL ready until probably after Draisaittl and Mcdavid are free agents.

Meanwhile the 6'3 monster in Wallstedt posted a 1.98 GAA and .917 sv % in 22 games in the SHL as an 18/19 yr old .

Oilers should have picked this stud or traded the pick away completely for some actual help to Mcdavid and Draisaittl.

Truth. Or even traded the 1st rounder in a package for a young player.

Although Bourgault does look like a beast, so that mitigates things a lot.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Its really hard to evaluate Q players based on offensive production because the Q is a lower tier compared to the Dub and O. Joshua Roy destroyed the Q in his D+1 (including playoffs) and i don't consider him a blue-chipper. Similarly XB produced excellent numbers but hard to annoint him a bonafide bluechipper.

Bourgeault will likely play another season in the Q and a season (or partial season) in the AHL before beginning his NHL career.

The OHL has outscored the Q the last two seasons, FWIW. At least in terms of raw GPG. I crunch the numbers every year.

He's a late 2002 so he should be done with the Q. This year is his fourth season. He's allowed to play in the AHL next season as early as October 22 (or earlier, i think) when he turns 20. He'll either be an Oiler or a Condor, or both, all next season

Reactions: LeonDraisaitl

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

He is a beast, but the disrespect to Mavrik Bourque in this post is real. His chemistry with Mavrik Bourque is what makes Shawinigan so lethal. It's been close as to who the better player for Shawinigan has been imo. They're both crucial to that teams success.

Bourgault is gonna be a better player than Bourque at the NHL level though imo his skating, skill, and shot are just insane. Bourque is the better playmaker, but Bourgault with McDavid and Draisaitl....woof that's gonna be insane

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He is a beast, but the disrespect to Mavrik Bourque in this post is real. His chemistry with Mavrik Bourque is what makes Shawinigan so lethal. It's been close as to who the better player for Shawinigan has been imo. They're both crucial to that teams success.

Bourgault is gonna be a better player than Bourque at the NHL level though imo his skating, skill, and shot are just insane. Bourque is the better playmaker, but Bourgault with McDavid and Draisaitl....woof that's gonna be insane

Bourque and Nadeau do all the dirty work -- corners, net front, puck protection along the boards etc., and they're obviously critical. But Bourgault is the main driver on the puck in terms of getting it to the danger areas. The better chances that line generates usually have the same formula if Bourgault isn't doing the entry -- dump-in, heavy pressure and hitting, start the cycle, hand it to Bourgault. Bourque and Bourgault can be puck hogs at times but the puck control and clean handoffs usually favor Bourgault. At least that's what my eyes saw every game I watched.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The OHL has outscored the Q the last two seasons, FWIW. At least in terms of raw GPG. I crunch the numbers every year.

He's a late 2002 so he should be done with the Q. This year is his fourth season. He's allowed to play in the AHL next season as early as October 22 (or earlier, i think) when he turns 20. He'll either be an Oiler or a Condor, or both, all next season
Condor? Nah. He’s gonna be a Roadrunner after the Yotes pick him up in a Chychrun trade at the draft. :)

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011

Is your agenda strictly Oiler bashing?

You're either making threads slamming the Oilers, or in every single Oilers thread (positive and negative) somehow finding a way to slam them.

Our 1st round pick puts up an unreal season and you somehow spin that into him being 4yrs away and Wallstedt being our saviour now or even within the next 4yrs?

We get it. You don't like the Oilers. You don't have to keep reminding us in every corner of HF Boards.

They are capable of having talent and things to be proud of, despite what you may think.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

There's no chance Bourgault is back for another year in the Q. He'll likely start in the AHL next season with a very real shot at making the Oilers out of camp.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

for a team that allowed 107 goals against in 52 games, fewest of all SHL teams.
his sv% tells that he did not see tons of pucks.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
for a team that allowed 107 goals against in 52 games, fewest of all SHL teams.
his sv% tells that he did not see tons of pucks.
Yet his numbers are still somehow marginally better than Lassi's who has been one of the best goalies in the league for years.
Our 1st round pick puts up an unreal season
That guy's agenda aside, this is the part that's hard to get. It's exactly the season you would expect from 1st round pick playing in the Q not far away from his 20th birthday. As mentioned a few times before, you could say Joshua Roy had an unreal season considering the expectations. Bourgault matched the expectations, anything less would be a worrisome sign.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Yet his numbers are still somehow marginally better than Lassi's who has been one of the best goalies in the league for years.

That guy's agenda aside, this is the part that's hard to get. It's exactly the season you would expect from 1st round pick playing in the Q not far away from his 20th birthday. As mentioned a few times before, you could say Joshua Roy had an unreal season considering the expectations. Bourgault matched the expectations, anything less would be a worrisome sign.

Well... thats the point. He put up the 4th best PPG in the QMJHL in his draft +1 season. An unreal season.

So yes, we're happy and given the backlash the Oilers received with drafting him, it is very surprising for many.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Been tearing it up in the Memorial Cup, another goal tonight and 2 assists for a 3 point game. In on all 3 goals in a 3-2 win.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Been tearing it up in the Memorial Cup, another goal tonight and 2 assists for a 3 point game.

5 points in 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad