C/W Xavier Bourgault - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL (2021, 22nd, EDM)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Seems like a lot of people have been sleeping for a few years on the productivity of this player.

There’s a good argument his draft -1 season two years ago was as productive as anything we’ve seen in the Q outside of Lafreniere and Mackinnon over the past decade.

He was the top Q producer in his draft year last year with 20+20 in 29 games.

There is no exponential growth in his output now. His point output growth is fairly linear and it should’ve been expected that he dominate like this.

15 goals in 16 games is quite a sizeable jump in production.
Overall production jumped from .65 gpg to 1 gpg and 1.5 ppg to 2 ppg so I'd consider that exponential growth.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
15 goals in 16 games is quite a sizeable jump in production.
Overall production jumped from .65 gpg to 1 gpg and 1.5 ppg to 2 ppg so I'd consider that exponential growth.

I’d consider that expected growth compared to normal point production of CHL players. Stepping up a half point per game is pretty normal from predraft to postdraft. Maybe slightly better than expected. Tough to compare since WHL and OHL barely played last year but there are similar jumps from players like Roy, L’Heureux, Kidney.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Will XB be on the top PP unit this WJ's?

Might be tough for him to crack it even though he’s a strong PP player (as always though pretty much every guy on Team Canada is a mainstay on their junior teams PP unit).

He was on the top line today though, I could see him playing really well with Wright. Bourgault is a very cerebral player who knows how to play well with other skilled players. He’s strong on the cycle and can be both a playmaker and trigger man.

I’m expecting him to have a strong WJC especially if he gets top line 5 v 5 minutes.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Will XB be on the top PP unit this WJ's?

Would be surprising with the guys they have

He's far more skilled than maybe originally perceived and leading goal scorer on the roster.

as @snipes mentioned, he was bumped to topline in practice, and possesses myriad of attributes that can help influence the game/line mates in positive ways. He displayed said attributes in preseason action, and had the Oilers not looked to have top 6 set to start the season, he very well could have had a longer look.

So in short, he probably won't start there, but who knows, all this prospect's been doing is "surprising" since the day he was selected.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I want to get excited but then I remember it is the Q and they will be a learning curb/bump when he turns pro

Dawson Mercer was drafted out of the Q last year.

Similar age going into their draft years, identical measurements and similar production. Mercer has jumped right into NHL after his d+1 year and is looking impressive. Hard to say definitively he'll struggle to acquit himself because he was drafted out of the Q.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ended up with 3 goals and 3 assists for a 6 point game.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
2 goals today. Pretty ones too

He's gonna be scary with McDavid and/or Draisaitl. He's playing with a great playmaker right now in Mavrik Bourque....imagine what he can do with 2 of the best playmakers in the world. His playmaking is great too though, seems to be strong in every possible way offensively. Great shot, fantastic hands/skill, precise passing. He's a gem

Here's his OT winning goal:

Absolute beauty here:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just scored the game 2 OT winner (only goal for either team in the game) in the conference finals to even the series at 1. Big goal

Had a feeling he was gonna end it, he's just got that clutch feeling about him. Took a pass in his skates dead in the slot with a defender in front of him and got it to his stick and sniped it home

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
2 goals and an assist tonight in game 3 of the QMJHL Championship

His 2 goals:

His assist, chops the puck/wins the puck battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad