C/W Xavier Bourgault - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL (2021, 22nd, EDM)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It was certainly an interesting year in the QMJHL, with the season starting in the fall, having a long hiatus, and returning this spring. Add in a few injuries and this lead to Shawinigan Cataractes winger Xavier Bourgault playing just 29 games. He made the most of the games and he did play and was productive with 20 goals and 20 assists for 40 points. Bourgault has also added four assists in five playoff games.

A second-round pick, 33rd overall in the 2018 QMJHL Draft, Bourgault had just seven goals and 13 assists for 20 points in 69 games as a rookie. He was also held to just one assist in six playoff games. Bourgault played for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up two assists in five tournament games. However, in his sophomore season, 2019-20, Bourgault emerged as a top player for the Cataractes. He put up 33 goals and 38 assists for 71 points in 63 games before the league shut down due to the global pandemic. Bourgault led the team in goals. He was tied with Dallas Stars 2020 first-round pick Mavrik Bourque for the Cataractes lead in points.

2021 NHL Draft #17: Xavier Bourgault Scouting Report

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
One of my favorites in this draft. Had him top 20, thinking about putting him top 15.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Seems pretty underrated
Yep. I think it was in some reports that he has questionable defense right now so that is why he's been rated so low. But if he works out, might be a steal potential.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Actually looking at where he's ranked its more reasonable than I thought. For some reason I was thinking he was a bit lower.

But keeping pace with/outscoring a first and second rounder on your team last year is impressive. I liked borque last year as well so I don't think hes a bad barometer for offense at least.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I have Bourgault, Dean, Wyatt Johnston and Bolduc (grouped closely) as more likely 2nd rounders

No standout skill. Above avg skating. Good offensive instincts. Need to become much stronger physically.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have Bourgault, Dean, Wyatt Johnston and Bolduc (grouped closely) as more likely 2nd rounders

No standout skill. Above avg skating. Good offensive instincts. Need to become much stronger physically.

I think Bourgault has a lot more offensive ability than those other 2 guys, personally.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think Bourgault has a lot more offensive ability than those other 2 guys, personally.

I mean... he probably does. But..

I have guys like Samoskevich and Pinelli a notch higher than this group

Pastujov and Koivunen the same... though these two dont skate as well as the group listed above. So it will depend what the NHL team is looking for

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Just not sure what the ceiling is. With physical improvement/defensive zone work

Can he become like a Danault? Or Kerfoot?

Stylistically this is what I envision.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Just not sure what the ceiling is. With physical improvement/defensive zone work

Can he become like a Danault? Or Kerfoot?

Stylistically this is what I envision.

He plays more W than C. If he can make the conversion full time to C then maybe Danault. Bourgault's calling card in the NHL will probably be defense.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Anyone that's followed him have some insights or comparables. With the year it's been haven't got a chance to follow most of these guys.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Anyone that's followed him have some insights or comparables. With the year it's been haven't got a chance to follow most of these guys.

He was one of my favorites going into the draft, I wanted the Wild to take him. Incredibly smart with excellent vision everywhere on the ice. Not a very agile skater, but he does fine all around. It probably won't hold him back necessarily, but improving it could definitely propel him forward, if that makes sense. Passing is his strong suit, and his shot isn't elite by any means, but it's good enough to succeed in the NHL. Along with his IQ and sense, he works really hard all over the ice, and is a good forechecker. I think he's going to be a good top six guy, probably not a true first line guy though. Especially in Edmonton, he's got plenty of skill and smarts to play with McDavid and Draisaitl, and he'll be in a great position to succeed where they're the ones really driving play and making things happen, and he'll be a high end complementary guy for them.

I'm not great at comparables, but the ones I've seen are more hardnosed types like Gallagher, Atkinson, Marchand. I'm not sure if he has the goal scoring chops that they do, but I don't feel those comparables are out of line by any means.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not great at comparables, but the ones I've seen are more hardnosed types like Gallagher, Atkinson, Marchand. I'm not sure if he has the goal scoring chops that they do, but I don't feel those comparables are out of line by any means.

I couldn't help but notice that you only mentioned guys below 5'10 (and three guys with very different styles), Bourgault has more of an average build.

I could see Bourgault being more of a David Perron type. He's a dangler.

Reactions: Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad