C/W Marat Khusnutdinov (2020, 37th, MIN)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Haula was a 7th rounder, so expectations of him were pretty low(even though anyone who watched him college would have to be scratching their head at where he was picked). Marat being picked early in the 2nd has different expectations. Both are vg+ skaters, can play C, and are good defensively, though Haula was more of an offensive player in college, while Marat seems to have more of a two way game.

I find it hard to assess the latter right now, he's got to fight his way out of it, but i think the coach at SKA really got in his head at the beginning of the year.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I said he will be good third liner, not bad or soft third liner. MAY BE middle six - it does mean he isnt your second line driver, it mean he can be good complimentary player in your second line if everything will go well. I didnt say he has solid top-6 future. Like Haula who was good complimentary piece in his good seasons. But mostly Im just waiting good two way third liner with decent game and production for third line. It is literally what I said. Khusnutdinov is better two way player than Raty or Kupari. I cant compare with Armia and Kupari because I didnt saw them enough.
For 37 pick having good two way player, who will produce 35-45 points is a good outcome. May be more in a good season on a good line.
Lambert is a player with higher ceiling, but with more problems in all around game.
Have you even seen Räty play? He actually takes a bit too much defensive responsibility sometimes. Also, Räty has a lot better shot than Khusnutdinov.
Both Armia and Kupari had, or have more skill. Kupari is just as fast if not even faster. But he does lack IQ and confidence right now.

Don't get me wrong, Khusnutdinov can become a good third liner but that is far from certain right now. There are better players and prospects around.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Have you even seen Räty play? He actually takes a bit too much defensive responsibility sometimes. Also, Räty has a lot better shot than Khusnutdinov.
Both Armia and Kupari had, or have more skill. Kupari is just as fast if not even faster. But he does lack IQ and confidence right now.
I have IQ and positional play way over “the skill”. Especially if we are talking about defensive or two way forwards. And it’s not like Khusnutdinov isn’t skilled.
I didn’t saw Raty this year. Mostly before and after the draft. May be he changed his game or developed. And I’m not saying that Raty has little or bad potential to play in NHL.
And I mentioned Haula especially, because he is player who is fast enough, positionally aggressive, lack of high skill but works a lot for his teams. And his goals didn’t come from special puck handling or sniping wrist shot.

And I’m not ready to pencil out Marat as offensive forward, because he played special role in SKA and still was productive. Of course now after bad start he should restructuring his game.

Armia was “skilled but not smart and consistent” from my view, but again - small sample size.

Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I have IQ and positional play way over “the skill”. Especially if we are talking about defensive or two way forwards. And it’s not like Khusnutdinov isn’t skilled.
I didn’t saw Raty this year. Mostly before and after the draft. May be he changed his game or developed. And I’m not saying that Raty has little or bad potential to play in NHL.
And I mentioned Haula especially, because he is player who is fast enough, positionally aggressive, lack of high skill but works a lot for his teams. And his goals didn’t come from special puck handling or sniping wrist shot.

And I’m not ready to pencil out Marat as offensive forward, because he played special role in SKA and still was productive. Of course now after bad start he should restructuring his game.

Armia was “skilled but not smart and consistent” from my view, but again - small sample size.
This take sounds pretty good. Agreed on most thoughts.
The last regarding Armia is a bit tough because Oilers and Sabres were franchises that were pretty good at making prospects either stagnate or even regress. But I get what you are saying.

Reactions: Guadana

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Russo is saying that he believes Marat will be signed after his KHL season ends on 2/25 and will be immediately inserted in the Wilds lineup at least through the end of this season

Reactions: lordtrillson

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Needs to get out of the KHL contract first I think, as it is until 30th of April.

You could be right. Only repeating what Russo said. He's usually pretty plugged in, but he could be wrong.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo is saying that he believes Marat will be signed after his KHL season ends on 2/25 and will be immediately inserted in the Wilds lineup at least through the end of this season
Which Wild? Unless there is a trade or two, or an injury, I don't see him taking a spot from anyone right away. Probably best to have him getting 20 minutes/night in Des Moines than sitting in St. Paul. If something opens up and his play warrants it it's a short drive and an even shorter flight.

Let's face it, he's had a very disappointing year, after a very promising one last year. I know points aren't everything, but he'll be lucky to end up with half the points he had last year. That's a massive drop off. Expecting him to go from a mediocre at best year in the KHL and then make an impact on a NHL team is overoptimistic, and that's an understatement.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Which Wild? Unless there is a trade or two, or an injury, I don't see him taking a spot from anyone right away. Probably best to have him getting 20 minutes/night in Des Moines than sitting in St. Paul. If something opens up and his play warrants it it's a short drive and an even shorter flight.

He specifically said NHL Wild.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

Let's face it, he's had a very disappointing year, after a very promising one last year. I know points aren't everything, but he'll be lucky to end up with half the points he had last year. That's a massive drop off. Expecting him to go from a mediocre at best year in the KHL and then make an impact on a NHL team is overoptimistic, and that's an understatement.

If he clearly isn’t ready, then it’s easy to drop him down. I also think Yurov will be watching closely and whether it’s fair or not, these guys have leverage to not play in Iowa until they prove they aren’t NHL ready.

He’s not a line driver but he proved last year he can produce when given time next to skilled players. It just so happens the Wild are desperate for speed and young legs and they aren’t going to be making the playoffs either way (barring a massive win streak). I see very little downside.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

If we're not sniffing a playoff spot at the TDL, I don't know why we wouldn't trade Maroon.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You could insert half the team in place of Marion’s name there
Realistically, I'm just counting expiring contracts.

I don't expect to trade guys we just extended, no matter how much we might be annoyed that they were extended.

Maroon, Bogosian, Duhaime, maybe Fleury.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005

Oh come on, I think they could sit/trade Duhaime or Maroon and give him a spot. You have to give him some incentive to not re-sign in Russia.

Reactions: MuckOG

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh come on, I think they could sit/trade Duhaime or Maroon and give him a spot. You have to give him some incentive to not re-sign in Russia.
Just gifting him a spot, sight unseen, is bad for all sorts of reasons. it's not like he was tearing up the KHL - far from it. Also, Maroon and Duhaime play a totally different game, bringing size and toughness that Marat will never be able to deliver. If he was going to replace anyone it would be Dewar, and a soon to be ready Mason Shaw.

Yurov, i get it. He's had a terrific KHL season, and plays the type of game could have him in the the top 9 right away, and, hopefully, top 6 before too long.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Just gifting him a spot, sight unseen, is bad for all sorts of reasons. it's not like he was tearing up the KHL - far from it. Also, Maroon and Duhaime play a totally different game, bringing size and toughness that Marat will never be able to deliver. If he was going to replace anyone it would be Dewar, and a soon to be ready Mason Shaw.

Yurov, i get it. He's had a terrific KHL season, and plays the type of game could have him in the the top 9 right away, and, hopefully, top 6 before too long.

IMO, if Marat is getting special treatment, its because the Wild don't want to see him extend in the KHL and might think the best way to convince him to sign his ELC is to tell him that he will be inserted in the NHL line-up right away. It might also be for management to see how close he actually is to being an NHL player. He could always spend some time in Iowa to start next season, if they feel that will best suit his development.

When Faber signed his ELC after the NCAA season last year, was anyone thinking he would make the jump directly in the NHL without any seasoning in Iowa? I didn't think so. But when they threw him into the fire (partly out of necessity), he responded in a good way. Maybe Marat will do the same.

Also, maybe they want him living/hanging with Kaprizov until he get accustomed to living in the States, Might make for a smoother transition. Just speculating, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver Tuna

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
At this point, it's uncertain how good he will be even at the AHL level, but i get your point. No harm done having him practice with the NHL team a bit, or taking some of Raksa's minutes for a few games. I am not sure how long Dewar will be out, but that's who's game I think Marat's most resembles.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
At this point, it's uncertain how good he will be even at the AHL level, but i get your point. No harm done having him practice with the NHL team a bit, or taking some of Raksa's minutes for a few games. I am not sure how long Dewar will be out, but that's who's game I think Marat's most resembles.
Talk about what have you done for me lately. He had a massive year last year and is more defensively conscientious than any of our other prospects. Guys like Duhaime, Dewar, Maroon need not be prioritized. The team hasn’t earned the right to protect themselves from a youth movement and there are other variables like the fact he can stay in Russia if he feels he will be sent to Iowa.

Why on earth would we play chicken with him knowing full well that Yurov is watching and we have to start thinking about how to resign Kaprizov soon. There is also the fact this roster is incredibly stale and mediocre and could use a jump. None of the guys in Iowa have earned a call up or they would be in St. Paul.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
When Faber signed his ELC after the NCAA season last year, was anyone thinking he would make the jump directly in the NHL without any seasoning in Iowa? I didn't think so.

Yes. There were lots of people. It was mostly just stat-watchers on the Wild board who saw the lack of PP time or assumed the believers were Gopher homers that doubted him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yes. There were lots of people. It was mostly just stat-watchers on the Wild board who saw the lack of PP time or assumed the believers were Gopher homers that doubted him.

I never doubted his ability (his offensive game surprised me, TBH), but I thought he was spend at least some time in Iowa developing. I didn't see him taking off as fast as he did,

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I never doubted his ability (his offensive game surprised me, TBH), but I thought he was spend at least some time in Iowa developing. I didn't see him taking off as fast as he did,
Yeah his offensive game has definitely surprised me too. But I think there were quite a few people who watched him at Olympics and at the U who knew he was NHL ready.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005

Yeah, but does Minny want to risk him re-signing in Russia for another year, would not be surprised if Marat makes this ask of playing 9 games if he does come over. It's been done many times before, especially out of college.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, but does Minny want to risk him re-signing in Russia for another year, would not be surprised if Marat makes this ask of playing 9 games if he does come over. It's been done many times before, especially out of college.
9 game rule doesn't apply to him. If he signs a contract to start in 2023-24 it burns a year. He doesn't even have to actually play a single game.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad