C/W Marat Khusnutdinov (2020, 37th, MIN)

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Here in Minnesota - has practiced. Likely to debut on upcoming roadtrip out west.

We loved Dewar, but this guy looks like a major upgrade.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Here in Minnesota - has practiced. Likely to debut on upcoming roadtrip out west.

We loved Dewar, but this guy looks like a major upgrade.

Hynes made it sound like he would debut at home on Thurs against the Ducks.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, he doesn't seem to be hesitant about playing in heavy traffic(on the goal he assisted he was screening in front), whether in front of the net or in board battles. VG positioning, and solid defensively, which isn't the easiest thing to do when you are on on a new team in a new league.

You can tell he is a good skater, but haven't seen him flash great speed. I think that might come once he starts figuring out the league, and where to find his spots?

I am not seeing much in the way of puck skills yet, but it's not like he is playing with offensive geniuses.

It's still early, and some holes might show up in his game, but so far, to me he looks clearly better than Luchinni, Lettieri, Shaw and Beckman. I suspect Gaudreau is playing hurt, but he has been awful this year, and once Marat gets familiar with the system I can see him taking some of his minutes, and maybe Johansson's? Comparing him to those six might be damning him with faint praise, but he sure looks like he can be a NHL'er, at least on this team.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
First NHL assist tonight off a faceoff win. Won 6 of 9 draws - nice to see that facet of his game translate to the NHL.

The Wild have been terrible on the face off for what seems like forever. It would be huge if we finally had a guy that was consistently above the 50% mark.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Good game for him last night and I feel like he’s been getting better and better each game and week. His speed is very good in the NHL and hands are solid too. In the rare moments where he has played with our talented guys he has looked like he fits in.

He is tiny though, and that does concern me for his long term outlook, he’s likely a middle six player skill wise, but those are often the most contested spots so he will need to bring a consistent impact to stay in this league long term. Feel mostly positive about him so far though, he does stay on his feet and win some battles through smart stick work.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wouldn't call him tiny, at all. Definitely taller than Rossi, Spurgeon, Zuccarello. Pretty strong on his skates, too, and doesn't just hang around the perimeter. Willing forechecker.

I want to see him use his speed lugging the puck through the neutral zone. I've seen him do it a couple of times and it looks to be an area in which he could excel.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think 3C duties are perfect for him, speedy, defensively responsible, good forechecker and backchecker, and has some offensive skills and potential.
He's not a brute or anything, but seems strong enough to withstand a bit of heavy going. Strong in his skates. MN can use a 3C, with Dewar traded and Gaudreau's game going in the tank this year.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
His coach, John Hynes, had positive things to say about him last night:
“I think we knew about Brock and I think Chisholm’s had a pretty good stint here, but to me (Marat) Khusnutdinov was skating really well tonight. I thought he played a couple pretty good games.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad