C Tyler Seguin (2010, 2nd overall, Boston; traded to Dallas)

Mach 9*

Very useful

Always thought it was say-geen for some reason. Word association i guess.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Not to make this more complicated, but I actually read somewhere that it was pronounced "Say-gay", I continue to say "say-ghan" though cause it feels better. lol

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
seh - gaie

hard to explain. french people know what im talking about.

Spitfire14

Nov 11, 2009
Windsor, On
I like to say See-gin and that's how I always thought it was pronounced until a few months ago...
but I think it's Say-gin .. I still prefer See-gin and will call him that.

I definetely have never heard Seg-Win though! I think that is weird.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
Phonetically it's a highly nasalized vowel. An /n/ is a nasal consonant, which would seem why the -n in Seguin sounds so closely to an /n/ though phonetically it is not (it's just a really nasalized vowel).

Geekiness out of the way, is Seguin actually francophone or does he just have the name. He'll probably have to get used to people just calling him Sey-gan [se:gæn] anyway :laugh:.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
See-kwins.
Forever-21-Sequin-Dress.jpg

Dakotax

Jan 1, 2007
Northern Ontario
The name is obviously francophone, I'm not sure if he is, or his immediate family are. Considering he's from Brampton I highly doubt he's fluent.

It is similar to this "Say Again" Sey-gain. However, you do not complete the "n" sound. Rather it is kind of nasal sounding.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
i have no clue but it's interesting to note the regional/ethnic pronunciation of the literally the same name. For instance former MLB players David and Diego Segui, are pronounced like Sa-gee (similar to the gei sound in geisha). Just adding an "n" to it, you'd think it should be Sa-geen. Fun.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
Today a friend and I were talking prospects when I brought up Seguin as my pick for 1st overall.

I said "Saygan" rhyming with again

my friend proceeded to laugh at me and said it was pronounced SegWIN

are either of us correct?

I know this for a fact. No matter how everyone else with the same name pronounces it, at the home games I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about. Emphasis is on the first syllable. SAY-gan. Rhymes with Carl Sagan, Ronald Reagan, & Menachem Begin.

imgres

McDonaughGirardi

Oct 23, 2009
Toronto
The Tyler Seguin Bandwagon

At first, I thought there was zero chance that seguin could compete for the #1 overall pick as taylor hall's resumee is just incredible. But after watching this kid play and develop..you can't help but notice how good he really is. I'm officially on the seguin bandwagon..In my opinion he is the best player coming out of the draft and hall is slightly behind him. What do you guys think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad