C Tyler Seguin (2010, 2nd overall, Boston; traded to Dallas)

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
Went to the game and both players did not put up much numbers wise, Hall had a very nice assist, and Seguin was held scoreless.

Watching this game really made me notice that Plymouth really needs another forward who can play with Seguin. Plymouth has many good solid forwards but no one who can give Seguin a good pass out of the zone when he is flying. Seguin did not have much help when he was trying to rush the puck through Windsors zone. Seguin could really use a skilled forward who can help keep all the eyes off Seguin because Seguin is very good at setting up the play but he needs someone who can bury the puck.

Watching Hall and Seguin in this game I continue believe that Seguin is the better player, his role on Plymouth means way more to the Whalers then Taylor Hall's role on the Spitfires.

Even after being shutout, I still think that Seguin has more skill and speed that people thought, Seguin has a very explosive few steps and he is not far behind Hall speed wise, I have watched him catch Hall on more than one occasion.

The way Seguin protects the puck and stick handles in traffic is a lot more impressive than Hall

I am really hoping Plmouth realizes that they need another elite forward, and setup a trade getting rid of the many extra average skaters.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
I'm guessing Ryan Hayes will play on Seguin's line when he gets back from his injury. He's a good offensive player, I wouldn't expect the Whalers to trade for one (and let's not rule out Tatar! That line would be killer!) They need some depth at defense cause Austin Levi sucks. Hall, Fowler, and Seguin all kind of sucked on Saturday. Seguin couldn't score and I kept seeing Fowler getting leveled. Seguin looked selfish on offense, trying to impress the scouts or something. However, his defensive game impresses me more and more each time, he can read players very well and anticipate what they're going to do. But yeah, you're completely right about pairing Seguin up with some actually good teammates. I think his linemate Miles McCauley had only 5 points in 30+ games last year? And now he is averaging a point a game cause of Seguin.

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
If Tatar somehow comes to the OHL this season the Whalers are going to be a scary team, but if not I really think the Whalers need to make a trade for an elite forward if they want to make a run at a championship.

I know Ryan Hayes is injured and I expect him to contribute but Hayes is not a very fast skater and one of the problems is that no one can keep up with Seguin when he is on the rush which causes him to make more selfish plays. In the windsor game I did notice some selfish rushes but it is hard when no one can keep up with you. But his defensive game is very impressive he reads the ice so well in both ends it gives him a great advantage.

The Whalers have depth to make a trade and I am hoping either Tatar comes over or they pick up a forward who can take some of the offense off Seguin's shoulders.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
If Tatar somehow comes to the OHL this season the Whalers are going to be a scary team, but if not I really think the Whalers need to make a trade for an elite forward if they want to make a run at a championship.

I know Ryan Hayes is injured and I expect him to contribute but Hayes is not a very fast skater and one of the problems is that no one can keep up with Seguin when he is on the rush which causes him to make more selfish plays. In the windsor game I did notice some selfish rushes but it is hard when no one can keep up with you. But his defensive game is very impressive he reads the ice so well in both ends it gives him a great advantage.

The Whalers have depth to make a trade and I am hoping either Tatar comes over or they pick up a forward who can take some of the offense off Seguin's shoulders.

Not only that, but they have a lot of draft picks. They got 2 2nd rounders (remember, you can't trade 1st rounders in the OHL) in the Landeskog trade, and another 2nd from the Jeremy Smith trade.

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, you guys didn't have much scoring depth in the first place. With Havlat, Sykora and Bouchard gone, thats a huge hit. If you didn't have Backstrom, you'd probably be leading the Tank for Taylor sweepstakes.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
Not only that, but they have a lot of draft picks. They got 2 2nd rounders (remember, you can't trade 1st rounders in the OHL) in the Landeskog trade, and another 2nd from the Jeremy Smith trade.

I didn't know there was a rule against trading 1st rounders. I have heard that many players have no-trade clauses in their contracts, but that's not limited to 1st rounders.

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
I liked him last year but didn't see him making this sorta jump (to lock top ten, probable top 5). One friend in the scouting ranks (with no horse in the race) said he has been the best draft-eligible in the O excluding Hall ... and maybe even including. Fowler and the guy in Sudbury were rated disappointments.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
first round pick

I didn't know there was a rule against trading 1st rounders. I have heard that many players have no-trade clauses in their contracts, but that's not limited to 1st rounders.

he means you can not trade your first round pick in any coming draft years.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
he's day-to-day with an injury. If they didn't think he was in good enough shape to play Windsor, he probably won't play the other 2 games this weekend. Expect to see him back next week though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Seguin

Can someone give me a full review of this kid? His style of play, strengths and weaknesses? I've been a huge Taylor Hall supporter but this kid just can't be ignored by the sounds of things. Also, can people post video of him if there is? And one last thing...how do you pronounce is name exactly? (Se-gwynn?)

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
Seguin

Seguin is pronounced "SAY-gan" and rhymes with Reagan. Here's a vid for ya. Strengths: vision, hockey-iq, anticipation, balance, puck control, deceptive speed, patience. Weaknesses: has missed getting back on d fast enough a couple of times, but it's been more of an exception than a rule for him.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
Seguin didn't play any games last weekend. Don't really know his status for this week since the team doesn't release that information. I can tell you that seeing him in the arena during intermissions and in the restaurant after the game, he seems to be walking fine and you would never know he is injured. Hopefully he will be back this weekend. Bad thing for me is the team is out of town so I won't get to see them play.

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
Seguin will hopefully be back this week, glad to see central scouting has him at #1 over Hall :handclap:.. even though he has missed some games.

To bad the Whalers don't have any sort of an injury report, anyone know the status and possible return of Rj Mahalak he would help out the line up as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad