C Tim Stützle (2020, 3rd, OTT) Part 2

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What a goal today.
After going a little cold he's come back with a vengeance. Showing more confidence than ever.

Kid is already a nightmare for defenceman but imagine when he gets stronger and faster.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I thought he was closer to Laf than Byfield, he may be proving even my bullish expectations wrong. Electric skating, and high-IQ with a good shot.

Ive said my story before but here it is again..

I spent the better part of 2 years watching Byfied on my lovably inept Sudbury Wolves rise up to the top of the draft charts. And simultaneously I was watching my lovably inept Ottawa Senators spontaneously ignite into a blazing tire fire, and fall down to rock bottom in the NHL standings.

Side note, my mother passed in the year leading up to the draft (f*** cancer), and told me that when she was gone, I can call in a favour from her if I ever really need something. And another side note - she was an absolute Jeopardy LOVER, and a beast in her own right at the game. Easily her favourite TV show of all time (yes Im sure we can see where this is going). Ive never seen her so captivated or enthralled with something on TV as she was when Ken Jennings was on his run. It was like the superbowl every night for her, and her excitement was infectious.

Draft night comes around, and you know what guys and gals, Im not ashamed to say that I called in my favour with my mom that night, and asked her to give my Sens my dream prospect and our homeboy, Quinton Byfield. Seems like a silly thing to some maybe, and quite obviously "wishes" arent actually a real thing..... But being an eternal bachelor that has everything that he needs already, this seemed like as good a thing as anything to call in my big favour on. Mom knew how obsessed with hockey I was, so she would have smiled and have been happy to help out with this if it was in her power.

LA with their IG German owners are rumoured to like that German enigma Tim Strutzel (sp?) whos conveniently rocketed up the rankings and somehow ahead of my man Byfield, who now sits at #3. Right where the Sens are picking :)

So it seems like fate is going to go my way this night, draft day 2020. Then the Kings proceeded to twist my reality and shatter it into 1000 little pieces when they calmly announce that they're taking Quinton Byfield from the Sudbury Wolves. As if there was ever any doubt...

So as QB is putting on the LA jersey and hugging his parents, Im trying to figure out if I should puke, cry, or punch a wall (it was a confusing moment in time for me), and then the Sens announce they have a special guest to make their pick.... And who the f*** do you think it is, none other than our own hometown Sudbury legend, and my mothers biggest hero on the planet, Alex the Axe Man Trebek. And unsurprisingly we select Jimmy Stu.

While I cant say that the whole meaning of this twist of fate and the master plan was immediately obvious to me. And the hurt of losing Byfield didnt go away for a while tbh... but if we fast forward to the present day - post WJC and NHL debuts, Alex's passing, ect ect - I know what happened now on that fateful night of the draft.

My moms favour didnt fall on deaf ears or go unanswered. And while it didnt work out exactly how I expected it to for us (she had a wicked sense of humour btw), Im fully convinced for "higher" reasons that we got the best player in the draft that day. Every indication so far is that is a very possible scenario for J-Stu.

So if you're reading this up there, thanks momma. We Sens fans all greatly appreciate the assist on the pick that night.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

I spent the better part of 2 years watching Byfied on my lovably inept Sudbury Wolves rise up to the top of the draft charts. And simultaneously I was watching my lovably inept Ottawa Senators spontaneously ignite into a blazing tire fire, and fall down to rock bottom in the NHL standings.

Side note, my mother passed in the year leading up to the draft (f*** cancer), and told me that when she was gone, I can call in a favour from her if I ever really need something. And another side note - she was an absolute Jeopardy LOVER, and a beast in her own right at the game. Easily her favourite TV show of all time (yes Im sure we can see where this is going). Ive never seen her so captivated or enthralled with something on TV as she was when Ken Jennings was on his run. It was like the superbowl every night for her, and her excitement was infectious.

Draft night comes around, and you know what guys and gals, Im not ashamed to say that I called in my favour with my mom that night, and asked her to give my Sens my dream prospect and our homeboy, Quinton Byfield. Seems like a silly thing to some maybe, and quite obviously "wishes" arent actually a real thing..... But being an eternal bachelor that has everything that he needs already, this seemed like as good a thing as anything to call in my big favour on. Mom knew how obsessed with hockey I was, so she would have smiled and have been happy to help out with this if it was in her power.

LA with their IG German owners are rumoured to like that German enigma Tim Strutzel (sp?) whos conveniently rocketed up the rankings and somehow ahead of my man Byfield, who now sits at #3. Right where the Sens are picking :)

So it seems like fate is going to go my way this night, draft day 2020. Then the Kings proceeded to twist my reality and shatter it into 1000 little pieces when they calmly announce that they're taking Quinton Byfield from the Sudbury Wolves. As if there was ever any doubt...

So as QB is putting on the LA jersey and hugging his parents, Im trying to figure out if I should puke, cry, or punch a wall (it was a confusing moment in time for me), and then the Sens announce they have a special guest to make their pick.... And who the f*** do you think it is, none other than our own hometown Sudbury legend, and my mothers biggest hero on the planet, Alex the Axe Man Trebek. And unsurprisingly we select Jimmy Stu.

While I cant say that the whole meaning of this twist of fate and the master plan was immediately obvious to me. And the hurt of losing Byfield didnt go away for a while tbh... but if we fast forward to the preset - post WJC and NHL debuts, Alex's passing, ect ect - I know what happened now on that fateful night of the draft.

My moms favour didnt fall on deaf ears or go unanswered. And while it didnt work out exactly how I expected it to for us (she had a wicked sense of humour btw), Im fully convinced for "higher" reasons that we got the best player in the draft that day. Every indication so far is that is a very possible scenario for J-Stu.

So if you're reading this up there, thanks momma. We Sens fans all greatly appreciate the assist on the pick that night.

I just want to say, not many posts on this website make me smile or really catch my attention. This did and thank you so much for sharing. You write so well that I pictured every part of your story and your mom sounds like she was just amazing!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

While I cant say that the whole meaning of this twist of fate and the master plan was immediately obvious to me. And the hurt of losing Byfield didnt go away for a while tbh... but if we fast forward to the preset - post WJC and NHL debuts, Alex's passing, ect ect - I know what happened now on that fateful night of the draft.

4KIWtM6.gif

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I just want to say, not many posts on this website make me smile or really catch my attention. This did and thank you so much for sharing. You write so well that I pictured every part of your story and your mom sounds like she was just amazing!

Thanks brother - if it means anything, that post of mine came straight from the heart, and was meant for her just as much as it was for me/us. Im happy that you got something from it though. I did too...

Im not a religious or a higher power kinda guy, at all.. But its too cool a story not too share imo. And if anything its nice to think that sometimes, good things can happen for reasons that are beyond our current understanding.

And on my mom being amazing - that couldnt be more of an understatement. Single mom/only child duo that lived a HUGELY unconventional life in an middle class white picket fence small town. But she not only made it work (sports, rep hockey, latest video game consoles, basically allowed me to assume control of her car at 17 lol, ECT ECT), she friggin nailed it while keeping me oblivious to the fact that we were relatively poor most of my childhood. And despite some questionable friends and choices along the way, I eventually made something respectable of myself. And she can take most of the credit for that.

My large circle of friends liked her so much that I would regularly wake up in the afternoon (teenage dirt bag w/e man..) and find that my friends had been over for hours chilling with my mom. The running joke was always that they were in actuality there to see her, and not me....It could be argued that it was true because she still got visitors when I had left Sudbury for a few years after school...She had more of my ex girlfriends on her facebook friends list than I did, and "how she was doing" was the first question most of them asked if we ever crossed paths together.,,.not me lol..

Oh and she played video games (SNES rpgs mostly) when she wasnt walking her dogs on their two daily walks that were like 12kms each through the deep woods in Northern Ontario, rain, shine or snow....lots of snow...She thought she was pretty tough just because she was among the first group of women to take and complete the new "gender neutral" version of basic training in the army, which no longer gave special/lowered physical requirements for the ladies of the corps.

TLDR: YES - she was an awesome f***ing lady. Through and through.

Sorry for droning on guys, Im done now. its jus one of those nights I guess...

Last edited:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Thanks brother - if it means anything, that post of mine came straight from the heart, and was meant for her just as much as it was for me/us. Im happy that you got something from it though.

Im not a religious or a higher power kinda guy, at all.. But its too cool a story not too share imo. And if anything its nice to think that sometimes, good things can happen for reasons that are beyond our current understanding.

And on my mom being amazing - that couldnt be more of an understatement. Single mom/only child duo that lived a HUGELY unconventional life in an middle class white picket fence small town. But she not only made it work (sports, rep hockey, latest video game consoles, basically allowed me to assume control of her car at 17 lol, ECT ECT), she friggin nailed it. Despite some questionable friends and choices along the way, I made something of myself. And she can take most of the credit for that.

My large circle of friends liked her so much that I would regularly wake up in the afternoon (teenage dirt bag w/e man..) and find that my friends had been over for hours chilling with my mom. The running joke was always that they were in actuality there to see her, and not me....It could be argued that it was true because she still got visitors when I had left Sudbury for a few years after school...

Oh and she played video games (SNES rpgs mostly) when she wasnt walking her dogs on their two daily walks that were like 12kms each through the deep woods in Northern Ontario, rain, shine or snow....lots of snow...

TLDR: YES - she was an awesome f***ing lady. Through and through.

Sorry for droning on guys, Im done now. its jus one of those nights I guess...

She sounds like a special lady and a very genuine cool person. Thank you for sharing.

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018
So he was on the ice for 4 goals against? I guess that's an area where he definitly should and hopefully can improve...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Can you show us where those 4 goals against were his fault?

He can't. On one of the low to high plays his stick placement could have been better but that's nitpicking. He's had some struggles defensively, but he's been improving at a reasonable rate. Comes across as a quick learner.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was on but 4 goals against, playing in-front of an AHL defence (and Chabot out) and a goalie who started last night and was put in early on, playing against primarily Tavares/Nylander or Matthew/Marner (which was shifted end of the game). I mean, I can't see how he's at fault for an elite player like Marner first tricking the Sens d and goalie behind the net with a drop pass to Matthews giving him an empty net, Marner embarrassing Mike Reilly, Tavares sniping it from like 40 feet out or Thornton tipping a point shot getting through (Batherson was guarding that shooting lane, and even then hard to even blame it on Batherson).

He's a 19-year-old playing on a team that was completely overwhelmed on paper that lost its #1 D-man pre-game and was forced to play Murray unexpectedly.

Sens have some established building blocks with Chabot and Tkachuk, and Stutzle looks to be joining that group. His speed and transition game is game breaking, and he has the IQ to play at that speed successfully (some fast guys it takes a while for them to adapt to process at NHL speed if it ever does, which is what separates guys like Grabner and Kapanen from someone like Stutzle or Barzal).

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
IIRC Stützle's possession stats are pretty bad even accounting for the fact that he plays for the Sens, but so what- most kids kinda suck defensively.

His scoring numbers are fine and honestly I'm a bit surprised he doesn't have a couple more helpers- could be a teammate thing maybe, idk.

But most important is how he looks, and of course his talent is blindingly obvious. I don't want to compare prospects because I haven't seen enough, but that's where I was a little disappointed with Lafrenière, he always looks competent but seldomly wowed me when I was watching. I'm sure he'll be fine as well but that's a worry Ottawa fans certainly don't have. I'm especially impressed with Stützle's knack for finding open ice/soft spots in the opponent structure and his willingness to attack them. I thought he may struggle with that adjusting to NHL opponents and the smaller ice surface simultaneously. Also shows great confidence that he's taking the ice he sees, and surely his decision making will improve. Right now his scoring still seems mostly opportunistic, but no reason he shouldn't be able to become a complete scorer. Good to see the Sens are giving him ice time.

As an aside... NHL announcers aren't butchering his name as badly as I thought they would, but it's weird that almost all of them get the front part wrong. It seems like they're having less trouble with the ü and the weird tzle sound at the end than the fact that the St up front is a Sht sound. That should be fairly straight forward for english speakers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad