C Tim Stützle (2020, 3rd, OTT) Part 2

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What a goal today.
After going a little cold he's come back with a vengeance. Showing more confidence than ever.

Kid is already a nightmare for defenceman but imagine when he gets stronger and faster.

Geez, he just changed gears and blew past the d, it was like he put on the after burners for a second thwre...

BiasedFinn

Apr 12, 2018
He was on but 4 goals against, playing in-front of an AHL defence (and Chabot out) and a goalie who started last night and was put in early on, playing against primarily Tavares/Nylander or Matthew/Marner (which was shifted end of the game). I mean, I can't see how he's at fault for an elite player like Marner first tricking the Sens d and goalie behind the net with a drop pass to Matthews giving him an empty net, Marner embarrassing Mike Reilly, Tavares sniping it from like 40 feet out or Thornton tipping a point shot getting through (Batherson was guarding that shooting lane, and even then hard to even blame it on Batherson).

He's a 19-year-old playing on a team that was completely overwhelmed on paper that lost its #1 D-man pre-game and was forced to play Murray unexpectedly.

Sens have some established building blocks with Chabot and Tkachuk, and Stutzle looks to be joining that group. His speed and transition game is game breaking, and he has the IQ to play at that speed successfully (some fast guys it takes a while for them to adapt to process at NHL speed if it ever does, which is what separates guys like Grabner and Kapanen from someone like Stutzle or Barzal).
Offtopic, but why exactly is that and what is the thing that Kapanen is lacking IQ wise? Decision making perhaps, positioning? I haven't been watching hockey for too long and I've never played the sport myself (other than bumping into my friends full speed at outdoor rink) so i'll never know these subtle little things you learn only by playing. I think Kapanen has all the speed and skill in the world to produce even more. Anyway if you or anyone else have the time and energy to educate me, feel free to DM :) (no need to continue OT and mods can delete this if it's way out of line)

Now on topic. Stützle is becoming a beast, such an exciting player to watch. I see no limits how good he can get and i'm under the impression that he is an absolute workhorse too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Offtopic, but why exactly is that and what is the thing that Kapanen is lacking IQ wise? Decision making perhaps, positioning? I haven't been watching hockey for too long and I've never played the sport myself (other than bumping into my friends full speed at outdoor rink) so i'll never know these subtle little things you learn only by playing. I think Kapanen has all the speed and skill in the world to produce even more. Anyway if you or anyone else have the time and energy to educate me, feel free to DM :) (no need to continue OT and mods can delete this if it's way out of line)

Now on topic. Stützle is becoming a beast, such an exciting player to watch. I see no limits how good he can get and i'm under the impression that he is an absolute workhorse too.
It just has to do with knowing when to pass, and knowing when to shoot and knowing when to just peel off and establish the zone waiting for teammates to catch-up. His playstyle leads to way too many one and outs. Granted he'll score a good amount of breakaway goals, but he doesn't make the best use of his linemates. A decent amount of guys with ridiculous skating get too far ahead of their team, and don't read the opposition well enough to know which of the 3 is the best option. Stutzle doesn't appear to have those issues.

Reactions: BiasedFinn

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Man, who ever started this "Jimmy Stu is a bad defensive/bad possession player" narrative is a real jealous sunavabitch.

Nothing else sticks, so they dishonestly misinterpret contextual stats to portray him as something he is not. If you watched the kid you'd actually be kind of impressed by his defensive ability. Sure, not top end, but no slouch either.

Reactions: Sens9292

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Man, who ever started this "Jimmy Stu is a bad defensive/bad possession player" narrative is a real jealous sunavabitch.

Nothing else sticks, so they dishonestly misinterpret contextual stats to portray him as something he is not. If you watched the kid you'd actually be kind of impressed by his defensive ability. Sure, not top end, but no slouch either.

He's made some seriously bad turnovers and defensive mistakes through his first 16 games. It's not some kind of dishonest argument. He legitimately has been bad defensively overall, even if he's been improving that side of his game recently.

I'm not worried about it at all. He's trying to get a feel for the league and seeing what works and what doesn't. It'll be filtered out of his game as he matures.

Reactions: HzH

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
He's made some seriously bad turnovers and defensive mistakes through his first 16 games. It's not some kind of dishonest argument. He legitimately has been bad defensively overall, even if he's been improving that side of his game recently.

I'm not worried about it at all. He's trying to get a feel for the league and seeing what works and what doesn't. It'll be filtered out of his game as he matures.

This is where I disagree. Overall? NO WAY. But yes, just like every other player, he has made some blunders, but nothing "seriously bad" comes to mind. Nothing, like Mike Reilly, where you can blame a goal solely on their poor play. Stutzle is also typically the first guy back in the defensive zone. I just don't see him as "bad defensively".

I'm not saying he's a God or anything, but yes, especially being a "bad possession player", I would frame as a dishonest argument.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Stutzle's had some bad plays defensively(majority of them being bodied off the puck early on) but he's also had some remarkable steals and interruptions, including a few notable ones on Drai and Mcdavid going full speed. I feel he'll be one of the better takeaway artists in the league with added experience and strength.

Against Toronto he also made a back-check steal that resulted into a good chance the other way, was a work of art, all in one motion.

Found it:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Stutzle's had some bad plays defensively(majority of them being bodied off the puck early on) but he's also had some remarkable steals and interruptions, including a few notable ones on Drai and Mcdavid going full speed. I feel he'll be one of the better takeaway artists in the league with added experience and strength.

Against Toronto he also made a back-check steal that resulted into a good chance the other way, was a work of art, all in one motion.

Found it:

Exactly this, basically my thoughts word for word.

Its incredibly encouraging to see how good hes already getting at anticipating and then disrupting plays in the neutral zone. Its one of many signs that point toward Stu having a very big hockey brain.

Hes made no shortage of bad passes, and made several turnovers/errors with the puck on his stick.. And like most 19yr olds the ability to handle the strength of mature NHLers will be a work in progress for him over the next few seasons. But hes already starting to figure out ways to spend less time on his ass as the games go on. And like nearly all offensively gifted teenaged NHLers - the turnovers are something that gets remedied with time.

While Lafreniere might be slightly more polished defensively - having played on NA rinks his entire life surely helped better prepare him with his positioning versus Stuetzle's path to get here. His actual impact and game breaking abilities (at least as of today) appear to be an order of magnitude lower than the ones that Stu is packing in his toolbox.

And I cant help but wonder how badly say Byfield or Stuetzle would be getting shredded and cut into pieces right now if they had the same starting opportunity and had the same stat line as Lafreniere has right now. The amount of "benefit of the doubt" that is granted to the 1st OV pick versus the 3rd OV pick seems to be disproportionately high, and the hill that leads to accepted stardom status in the eye of the public is far less steep for them.

Imo, all things considered (Sens doing their best impression of their 1st year expansion team), Stuetzle has shown so many flashes of brilliance that you really need to be bitter/jealous/crusty to feel like Stuetzle has been anything less than extremely impressive so far.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Thanks brother - if it means anything, that post of mine came straight from the heart, and was meant for her just as much as it was for me/us. Im happy that you got something from it though. I did too...

Im not a religious or a higher power kinda guy, at all.. But its too cool a story not too share imo. And if anything its nice to think that sometimes, good things can happen for reasons that are beyond our current understanding.

And on my mom being amazing - that couldnt be more of an understatement. Single mom/only child duo that lived a HUGELY unconventional life in an middle class white picket fence small town. But she not only made it work (sports, rep hockey, latest video game consoles, basically allowed me to assume control of her car at 17 lol, ECT ECT), she friggin nailed it while keeping me oblivious to the fact that we were relatively poor most of my childhood. And despite some questionable friends and choices along the way, I eventually made something respectable of myself. And she can take most of the credit for that.

My large circle of friends liked her so much that I would regularly wake up in the afternoon (teenage dirt bag w/e man..) and find that my friends had been over for hours chilling with my mom. The running joke was always that they were in actuality there to see her, and not me....It could be argued that it was true because she still got visitors when I had left Sudbury for a few years after school...She had more of my ex girlfriends on her facebook friends list than I did, and "how she was doing" was the first question most of them asked if we ever crossed paths together.,,.not me lol..

Oh and she played video games (SNES rpgs mostly) when she wasnt walking her dogs on their two daily walks that were like 12kms each through the deep woods in Northern Ontario, rain, shine or snow....lots of snow...She thought she was pretty tough just because she was among the first group of women to take and complete the new "gender neutral" version of basic training in the army, which no longer gave special/lowered physical requirements for the ladies of the corps.

TLDR: YES - she was an awesome f***ing lady. Through and through.

Sorry for droning on guys, Im done now. its jus one of those nights I guess...
Don't be sorry, my man. Was a great post about a great person. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Samsquanch

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
From multiple viewings, Stützle is a big fan of the strong side bad angle shot off the rush. It seems to be going in for him, for the time being... but one would hope he’d utilize the middle of the ice more or make higher percentage plays. Maybe the transition to centre will help him.

Yes, when it goes in it looks sick, but there’s also times where it misses wide and runs out of the zone. All in all, electric player, would love to see what he can do as a centre.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m so salty the red wings didn’t get this kid. A historically terrible season and we get shafted.

Edmonton and Buffalo ruined the draft

Avs fans were complaining about the lottery in 2017, when they were just as bad as last year's Wings. And then it turned out that Makar was the best player anyways!

Canucks fans were complaining about the lottery when they slid down in both the Pettersson and Hughes drafts.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I’m so salty the red wings didn’t get this kid. A historically terrible season and we get shafted.

Meh I get the player preference but Raymond will be a star in this league (imo) and could surpass Stutzle even within 5 years. I was choked when Detroit lost the lottery down to 4th but I do think Raymond has potential to end up best from this draft. Yeah he's a winger but if they're gonna be a top line play driver that's really what you need most. A 1C would've been perfect but what do you do. I'm happy with Raymond.

Last edited:
Reactions: dick341 and Realgud

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Avs fans were complaining about the lottery in 2017, when they were just as bad as last year's Wings. And then it turned out that Makar was the best player anyways!

Canucks fans were complaining about the lottery when they slid down in both the Pettersson and Hughes drafts.
Just cause those teams drafted well doesn’t mean they weren’t unlucky.

Read The

Feb 7, 2021
Just cause those teams drafted well doesn’t mean they weren’t unlucky.

In a way they were lucky because if they drafted higher there is a good chance they draft the players who were the consensus for those picks.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Meh I get the player preference but Raymond will be a star in this league (imo) and could surpass Stutzle[/B] even within 5 years. .

It could be Raymond. It could any one of of the guys from the top 15 (heck even a suprise guy from late in the draft) that ends up surpassing Stuetzle as the best player from this draft. Thats a true statement I suppose, nothing is certain.

But Raymond included, there are ZERO reasons to believe that any of them will ever do it at this point. Stuetzle is hands down the most exceptional player at this point, and will be until proven otherwise.

Stuetzle looks better than Raymond does while playing against the best players in the world, so they arent even comparable as of today. And he looked like he was in a tier ahead of him on the same ice at the WJC. So if you like super risky bets, hoping for Raymond to pass him one day eventually is an excellent choice.

Never mind the fact that Stuetzle is already 25lbs heavier and 2" taller, much more physical, and a far superior skater (like an impossibly big gap for Raymond to ever get close to closing). All big things to overcome for a smaller player who may or may not be more skilled than Tim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Random Comment

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

You can't blame Edmonton or Buffalo for the league being absolutely stupid with this nonsense.
For what? Cuz Edmonton drafted Nail Yakupov and RNH and continued to suck, and needed to be punished for it?

WOW.. turns out Yakupov and Hopkins aren't the same caliber players as Malkin and Crosby, who knew! We need to change up the entire draft lottery because Nail Yakupov couldn't turn the Oilers into contenders!

BTW...

The constant tinkering with the lottery format ruined the draft.
If we simply left things the way they were, Edmonton likely doesn't get McDavid.

Now ALL the teams that miss get a crack at 1st overall? Which resulted in a 14th placed Flyers team getting 2nd overall? You realise that Pittsburgh, Toronto, and Edmonton each had a 37.5% chance of landing 1st overall (Lafreniere) right?

All of this is being obtusely stupid because Yakupov and Hopkins weren't elite level talents that were capable of dragging Edmonton out of the bottom 5.

If you think Yakupov is the guy you build around, go ahead and sign him.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You can't blame Edmonton or Buffalo for the league being absolutely stupid with this nonsense.
For what? Cuz Edmonton drafted Nail Yakupov and RNH and continued to suck, and needed to be punished for it?

WOW.. turns out Yakupov and Hopkins aren't the same caliber players as Malkin and Crosby, who knew! We need to change up the entire draft lottery because Nail Yakupov couldn't turn the Oilers into contenders!

BTW...

The constant tinkering with the lottery format ruined the draft.
If we simply left things the way they were, Edmonton likely doesn't get McDavid.

Now ALL the teams that miss get a crack at 1st overall? Which resulted in a 14th placed Flyers team getting 2nd overall? You realise that Pittsburgh, Toronto, and Edmonton each had a 37.5% chance of landing 1st overall (Lafreniere) right?

All of this is being obtusely stupid because Yakupov and Hopkins weren't elite level talents that were capable of dragging Edmonton out of the bottom 5.

If you think Yakupov is the guy you build around, go ahead and sign him.

The league got tired of you guys continuing to suck and win the lottery - and basically the league bet on you continuing to suck (and to serve as a warning notice for any future teams that allow their franchise to bottom out for a decade at a time) that this wont ensure the 1st OV pick.

Then their worst nightmare happened and you guys won McDavid. using their new rules...

Thats what happened. And now the draft lottery is beyond f***ed and has been every since it was introduced.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
It could be Raymond. It could any one of of the guys from the top 15 (heck even a suprise guy from late in the draft) that ends up surpassing Stuetzle as the best player from this draft. Thats a true statement I suppose, nothing is certain.

But Raymond included, there are ZERO reasons to believe that any of them will ever do it at this point. Stuetzle is hands down the most exceptional player at this point, and will be until proven otherwise.

Stuetzle looks better than Raymond does while playing against the best players in the world, so they arent even comparable as of today. And he looked like he was in a tier ahead of him on the same ice at the WJC. So if you like super risky bets, hoping for Raymond to pass him one day eventually is an excellent choice.

Never mind the fact that Stuetzle is already 25lbs heavier and 2" taller, much more physical, and a far superior skater (like an impossibly big gap for Raymond to ever get close to closing). All big things to overcome for a smaller player who may or may not be more skilled than Tim.

These players have played a quarter season of hockey and you're speaking far too much in absolute when we all know development is not linear. I also don't think the size is really relevant here when they both play notably different style games anyway

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The league got tired of you guys continuing to suck and win the lottery - and basically the league bet on you continuing to suck (and to serve as a warning notice for any future teams that allow their franchise to bottom out for a decade at a time) that this wont ensure the 1st OV pick.

Then their worst nightmare happened and you guys won McDavid. using their new rules...

Thats what happened. And now the draft lottery is beyond f***ed and has been every since it was introduced.

What is the goal? Worst team doesn't get top pick?

Oilers only finished last twice. They didn't suck, the lottery system was broken.

Also not all 1st overall are the same. Yakupov is not McD. If your prize for finishing bottom 5 is Yakupov, go ahead and sign him.

What was the goal with the tinkering? Did we want the Pens, Leafs, or Oilers to land 1st overall last year?

Last edited:

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Toronto, and Edmonton each had approximately a 3.05% chance of landing 1st overall. (Prior to the 1st draft lottery.) After Placeholder E won the draft lottery, each of those three teams had a 12.5% chance, for a collective percentage of 37.5%.

What was the goal with the tinkering? Did we want the Pens, Leafs, or Oilers to land 1st overall last year?
We wanted the Pens, Leafs, Oilers, and others to be compensated in some way for having to play an additional playoff round that ordinarily wouldn't have occurred if the playoffs hadn't been expanded to 24 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad