C Sean Monahan (2013, 6th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
I've been surprised how strong he's gotten throughout the year. Quite an eye-opener watching a 19 year old power his way towards the net.

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
Generally I agree with what your getting at. I don't think Monahan will have the offense of Getzlaf or Duchene, but you can't just look at point totals. As mentioned Monahan is younger than Getzlaf, Stepan, and Kopitar were in there rookie seasons. You also have to look at ice time, PP time, offensive zone starts, quality of competition, team defence etc.

And if you do look at things like his offensive zone start, quality of competition etc., you'll see that Monahan has played sheltered minutes all season. I like Monahan a lot, super stoked he's on the team, but his rookie season does not have him projecting as a player on the level of Getzlaf/Toews. Granted, this could change with a strong off-season and continued development, but speaking on his small sample size so far, there's a very clear difference between Monahan and the "elite" tier of centres.

Mar 1, 2013
Toronto
His numbers are fairly comparable to Eric Staal's first season, which was played right after his draft year. I actually like that comparable better then Toews. Maybe better in the faceoff circle.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
And if you do look at things like his offensive zone start, quality of competition etc., you'll see that Monahan has played sheltered minutes all season. I like Monahan a lot, super stoked he's on the team, but his rookie season does not have him projecting as a player on the level of Getzlaf/Toews. Granted, this could change with a strong off-season and continued development, but speaking on his small sample size so far, there's a very clear difference between Monahan and the "elite" tier of centres.

Both players you mentioned didn't play right after being drafted, keep that in mind while discussing potential. Elite players don't always dominate as an 18/19 year old.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Monahan is on pace for 40 pts in an 82 game schedule this season (.49 pts per game) - which is solid, but not the makings of a superstar. Looking around the league at some top centres rookie seasons, you find out where Monahan sits among players.

Toews - 54 pts in 64 games (.84 pts per game)
Crosby - 102 pts in 81 games (1.26 pts per game)
Kopitar - 61 pts in 72 games (.85 pts per game)
Getzlaf - 39 pts in 57 games (.68 pts per game)
Duchene - 55 pts in 81 games (.68 pts per game)
Stamkos - 46 pts in 79 games (.58 pts per game)
Bergeron - 39 pts in 71 games (.55 pts per game)
Stepan - 45 pts in 82 games (.55 pts per game)

Monahan (.49 pts per game)

M. Koivu - 21 pts in 64 games (.33 pts per game)
Krejci - 27 pts in 56 games (.38 pts per game)
Plekanec - 29 pts in 67 games (.43 pts per game)

looking only at a player's rookie season to compare how they will end up is really not a good way of doing things.

DayTripper

Jul 9, 2013
DPR of HF
2dir7zd.jpg

A glimpse of the future?

Trae

Calgary
3 goals, 5 points in last 4 games. Nice to see him get on the scoresheet more often again.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
3 goals, 5 points in last 4 games. Nice to see him get on the scoresheet more often again.

I think that by seasons end he will be one of the Calder finalists.. Obviously MacKinnon will win it hands down (and rightfully so) but I think he will be a nominee!

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
There's little wonder why his goal total almost doubles his assist total. He fed Galiardi a clean cross crease pass last night only to have Galiardi completely flub it. I'm really excited to see how well Monahan can do playing with the likes of Gaudreau, Poirier, and (a reignited) Baertschi.

Also, his faceoff percentage is 45.5%. Pretty decent for a rookie, and completely identical to Corsby's rookie season FO percentage (45.5%).

I think that by seasons end he will be one of the Calder finalists.. Obviously MacKinnon will win it hands down (and rightfully so) but I think he will be a nominee!

Maybe if he continues to completely tear it up down the stretch. Right now there are quite a few rookies statistically superior to him in everything but goals. Older rookies, but rookies nonetheless.

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
He holds the puck longer now and is more comfortable with the puck. He even tried a behind the back pass last game (the one to cammy). He's using his size more and also utilizing it to his advantage when he dumps it in he always gets the puck back. It's been eye opening watching him grow throughout this season.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
His goal last light was fantastic. Forehand backhand in tight to slip it fivehole

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan, love this kid! Wanted him bad at the draft, happy with Nurse but he would have solved our #2 center hole perfectly

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
Tied for 2nd in rookie goals, 7th in points - and doesn't appear in the latest HF calder poll. Nor did he even get any votes to get a mention.

But then again this pretty much sums up HF:
"December's leader, New York Rangers' left wing Chris Kreider, was third on our list in January but slipped completely out of our top ten after a four-game scoreless drought"

So based on 4 games Kreider apparently went from 3rd to out of the top 10.

Terrible work HF. Just terrible.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Tied for 2nd in rookie goals, 7th in points - and doesn't appear in the latest HF calder poll. Nor did he even get any votes to get a mention.

But then again this pretty much sums up HF:
"December's leader, New York Rangers' left wing Chris Kreider, was third on our list in January but slipped completely out of our top ten after a four-game scoreless drought"

So based on 4 games Kreider apparently went from 3rd to out of the top 10.

Terrible work HF. Just terrible.

RNH although playing 20 games less still had the same amount of points as Landeskog and lost, Yak was tied for rookie scoring and wasnt even nominated.

There is definite east-coast bias for awards imo, Monahan should be nominated but probably won't be

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
RNH although playing 20 games less still had the same amount of points as Landeskog and lost, Yak was tied for rookie scoring and wasnt even nominated.

There is definite east-coast bias for awards imo, Monahan should be nominated but probably won't be

I actually don't think he should be nominated - this is an impressive crop of rookies that goes well beyond 10 deep. Just a mention though in the article was merited if anything to highlight how deep this class is.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
this kid is making a bigger impact for the Flames, then any of the previous 1st overall picks for the OIlers. This guy is the real deal. Potentially the best player from the 2013 draft.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
this kid is making a bigger impact for the Flames, then any of the previous 1st overall picks for the OIlers. This guy is the real deal. Potentially the best player from the 2013 draft.

I love him as a flames fan but Nate is starting to runaway with that title imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad