C Sean Monahan (2013, 6th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFAN1989

Feb 5, 2011
Sean Monahan is a beauty pick by the flames. So jelly that you guys have him. It's incredible that as a rookie he has 16 even strength goals. You guys have such a gem.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It's weird - watching him his game doesn't really stand out a ton. You won't see him deking around defencemen or blowing by people with his speed.

But the guy is always giving it everything he has and he really has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time. He's also very calm with the puck. He'll often take his time and make a perfect shot, rather than go for the quick one-timer.

I don't think he'll be a superstar, but he should be a very solid 2nd line centre. I could also see him as a captain. He comes across as fairly mature for his age.

Feb 23, 2014
It's weird - watching him his game doesn't really stand out a ton. You won't see him deking around defencemen or blowing by people with his speed.

But the guy is always giving it everything he has and he really has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time. He's also very calm with the puck. He'll often take his time and make a perfect shot, rather than go for the quick one-timer.

I don't think he'll be a superstar, but he should be a very solid 2nd line centre. I could also see him as a captain. He comes across as fairly mature for his age.

Monahan is gonna score 20 goals as a 19 year old in his rookie year and is continuing to progress every game...

I don't know how he doesn't have the potential to be a top line center..?

He is just going to get better and he is already contributing at a 2nd line rate...

This kid is going to be a first line player and we are lucky to finally have a high-end center we can build around..

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Number 1 centers don't always have to be flashy. Toews had that beauty of a goal in the Stadium game but generally speaking his game is much grittier than flashy.

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
Monahan is gonna score 20 goals as a 19 year old in his rookie year and is continuing to progress every game...

I don't know how he doesn't have the potential to be a top line center..?

He is just going to get better and he is already contributing at a 2nd line rate...

This kid is going to be a first line player and we are lucky to finally have a high-end center we can build around..

Monahan is on pace for 40 pts in an 82 game schedule this season (.49 pts per game) - which is solid, but not the makings of a superstar. Looking around the league at some top centres rookie seasons, you find out where Monahan sits among players.

Toews - 54 pts in 64 games (.84 pts per game)
Crosby - 102 pts in 81 games (1.26 pts per game)
Kopitar - 61 pts in 72 games (.85 pts per game)
Getzlaf - 39 pts in 57 games (.68 pts per game)
Duchene - 55 pts in 81 games (.68 pts per game)
Stamkos - 46 pts in 79 games (.58 pts per game)
Bergeron - 39 pts in 71 games (.55 pts per game)
Stepan - 45 pts in 82 games (.55 pts per game)

Monahan (.49 pts per game)

M. Koivu - 21 pts in 64 games (.33 pts per game)
Krejci - 27 pts in 56 games (.38 pts per game)
Plekanec - 29 pts in 67 games (.43 pts per game)

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Monahan is on pace for 40 pts in an 82 game schedule this season (.49 pts per game) - which is solid, but not the makings of a superstar. Looking around the league at some top centres rookie seasons, you find out where Monahan sits among players.

Oh how terribly disappointed I'll be if Monahan turns out to be as good as Koivu, Krejci, or Plekanec. :sarcasm:

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I noticed he started with 11 pts (7G 4A) in the initial 13 games.

In his last 40 games he's had just 15 pts (11G 4A).

He doesn't seem to be a chiseler, but I'd like know is it his linemates, his style of play that leads to less assists? I don't watch him much but goal scoring seems above average for a rookie (on pace for 25) but only 8 assists seems a little odd.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Oh yeah - definitely not meant to be a negative post. Monahan is awesome, but the comparisons to Toews etc., seem a bit far fetched.

They play a similar style is why I've been comparing them. I'm not going to use his rookie pace to predict how high he'll perform for us in the future, but given that he's been shuffled with different wingers all season, none of whom are shoot first (really, what shoot first players does Calgary have). To explain his G/A ratio, he has a far better sense to be open around the net than say, Colborne and Granlund, his most recent linemates.

Compared to the rest of our roster, he comes with rookie struggles but has been very good for us, and is 4th on the Flames in scoring.

Last edited:

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005

He doesn't seem to be a chiseler, but I'd like know is it his linemates, his style of play that leads to less assists? I don't watch him much but goal scoring seems above average for a rookie (on pace for 25) but only 8 assists seems a little odd.

He has spent significant time with Jiri Hudler - who is definitely a pass first player. Hudler, since being placed onto Backlund's line, has also improved Backlund's goal scoring rate pretty significantly.

Monahan's drop in performance is definitely related to the fact that he's a rookie (and they often struggle as the schedule progresses), and the fact that he struggled "returning to form" after his injury. He spent the Olympic break working out in Ottawa instead of going on vacation, so hopefully that helps him finish the season strongly.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

To be fair to Monahan all of Getzlaf, Toews, Stepan, Koivu(3 years later), Krejci, Plekanec, and Kopitar did not have rookie season following their draft year unlike Monahan.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

He lost some time due to a broken foot and played through it to some extent, which likely didn't help his numbers.

His overall numbers are also likely a product of playing on a team that doesn't score a ton. The Flames aren't exactly swimming in quality wingers right now.

He's played with several different wingers. I know he was playing with Colborne on one wing Saturday. It's possible Granlund was on the other wing. But Hartley does like to mix the lines so who knows how long that will last. It's kind of funny - all 3 are technically natural centres, but the Flames have too many centres right now.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010

This is a flawed comparison when you don't account for age of rookie season.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
He lost some time due to a broken foot and played through it to some extent, which likely didn't help his numbers.

His overall numbers are also likely a product of playing on a team that doesn't score a ton. The Flames aren't exactly swimming in quality wingers right now.

He's played with several different wingers. I know he was playing with Colborne on one wing Saturday. It's possible Granlund was on the other wing. But Hartley does like to mix the lines so who knows how long that will last. It's kind of funny - all 3 are technically natural centres, but the Flames have too many centres right now.

I noticed once Baertschi got sent down, his offense slipped a little bit too.

Those 2 were fun to watch.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I noticed once Baertschi got sent down, his offense slipped a little bit too.

Those 2 were fun to watch.

I still do not understand why Baertschi was treated the way he was. The guy was benched, played on the 4th line for stretches and still managed to put up 11 points in 26 games as a rookie. That's certainly not awful.

It's nice to see he's finally starting to come around in Abbotsford.

Aug 3, 2010
Obviously shootout goals aren't on typical statsheets (and IMO shootouts shoudn't be tiebreakers but that's for another topic) but when it comes to being "clutch" he's not bad.

He's got like 3 or 4 shootout goals this season, TWO of which were winners IIRC, and an overtime winner against the Oilers in which he scored both Flames' goals winning 2-1.

Not bad.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
He has 4 more goals than anyone else on the Flames despite missing 7 games. Definitely impressive.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I still do not understand why Baertschi was treated the way he was. The guy was benched, played on the 4th line for stretches and still managed to put up 11 points in 26 games as a rookie. That's certainly not awful.

It's nice to see he's finally starting to come around in Abbotsford.

Agreed. And he was the most effective guy on the Baertschi/Monahan/Hudler(?) line the majority of the time. He was by no means perfect, but I also disagreed strongly with the incredibly short leash he got.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Agreed. And he was the most effective guy on the Baertschi/Monahan/Hudler(?) line the majority of the time. He was by no means perfect, but I also disagreed strongly with the incredibly short leash he got.

He's starting to find his strike in Abbotsford. I bet he comes back next season and just kills it

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Toews is deceptively fast when he has to use his speed, but most of the time he uses his smarts to get to the right places

Monahan has one of those things down, he just needs to continue working on his explosiveness

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He's also on a bad team.

This does affect things to some degree, as he's most often on the ice with Wideman/Butler (gross) on D, and outside of Hudler his linemates are generally not exactly offensive dynamos (Byron, Colborne, etc).

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

Generally I agree with what your getting at. I don't think Monahan will have the offense of Getzlaf or Duchene, but you can't just look at point totals. As mentioned Monahan is younger than Getzlaf, Stepan, and Kopitar were in there rookie seasons. You also have to look at ice time, PP time, offensive zone starts, quality of competition, team defence etc.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Generally I agree with what your getting at. I don't think Monahan will have the offense of Getzlaf or Duchene, but you can't just look at point totals. As mentioned Monahan is younger than Getzlaf, Stepan, and Kopitar were in there rookie seasons. You also have to look at ice time, PP time, offensive zone starts, quality of competition, team defence etc.

Realistically I think Bergeron is a reasonable expectation. Similar production in their rookie seasons, both have a similar right-place-right-time style of positioning in all three zones (although Monahan has quite a ways to go before he's as refined as Bergeron is), and both of them have/had speed/acceleration listed as one of their primary drawbacks as rookies. And I'd be thrilled to have a Bergeron 2.0 on the Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad