C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
If he could improve his skating , i talk about pur speed , he could be a very good two way center #1 . If his skating stay Ok , he will be a good second liner that you want on your team

Loving his game
but hes much better skater than an ok skater. Hes quick and very very strong on his skates.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
but hes much better skater than an ok skater. Hes quick and very very strong on his skates.

Maybe the Ok skater is mean , but he had not the pur speed of a solid good first liner who put 60 + pts per year . Some player can make that without that skating but not that much .

He had a very good edge in small erea , and like you say Poehling is very strong on his skate , but he not have good crossover or good start

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Maybe the Ok skater is mean , but he had not the pur speed of a solid good first liner who put 60 + pts per year . Some player can make that without that skating but not that much .

He had a very good edge in small erea , and like you say Poehling is very strong on his skate , but he not have good crossover or good start
his skating isnt perfect but its not a concern imo. I agree he needs to work on his acceleration tho. BTW when u write pur, do u mean pure??

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Sorry i'm not a bilingual , my first language is French but yeah i mean pure

I think his skating is a concern to be a 1st Center , not a concern to play in the league because he will be

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Sorry i'm not a bilingual , my first language is French but yeah i mean pure

I think his skating is a concern to be a 1st Center , not a concern to play in the league because he will be
Thats ok cuz imo he wont ever be good enough to center a top line on a real stanley cup cotender. As long as he becomes an elite 2C or even 3C depending on how the habs move forward, I couldn't be any happier.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
There's a lot of talk about his skating, some people say it's good and others say it's bad. To me, his top end speed is above average but his first 3 steps can definitely be improved. He gets away with it because as a center, he can get away with gliding more.

That said, because his offensive effectiveness relies heavily on the offensive cycle, which involves lots of stops and starts, he will need to reach improve his first 3 steps to be an effective offensive center at the next level. If he does, odds are he'll have lots of success in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Bee Holder

Jul 3, 2017
Montreal
A bit quiet in the last two games, but a promising prospect C, with his heart clearly in the right place judging by his reaction to the loss in the finals. Discuss :)

Reactions: SI90

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don't understand. Anytime I watched him I kept noticing him for his bad plays. That's all that ever stood out to me.

Reactions: Robongo01

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
He sucked IMO

He won mvp in the 10 min vs sweden.

Lots of bad desicions and lost battles the rest of the tourny especially in the playoff rnds.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I don't understand. Anytime I watched him I kept noticing him for his bad plays. That's all that ever stood out to me.

He was totally dominant the first 5 games but average the last 2.... not sure he was deserving the MVP award.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He was totally dominant the first 5 games but average the last 2.... not sure he was deserving the MVP award.

This. He was very mehhh the final two games. Not horrible. But no one in this tournament really set the world on fire. Im sure there were multiple others right there with him

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Wasn't he on top of his game whenever played at center though? And basically wasn't as effective whenever J. Hughes was in the lineup as he was being played on the wing mostly?

Every game he played at C he was getting top minutes & racked up points, whereas when playing at W, he didn't have much chemistry with the linemates he was with.

Could just be an adaptation issue. If anything it's good in that he's for sure a C prospect.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Not an impressive prospect thus far.
Skating is average overall. Decent top end speed but very poor explosiveness of the first steps and edgework for agility.

Good shot and good size.

I dont think he is skilled or dynamic enough to be a top 6 in NHL

Can be a reliable 3rd C in NHL.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Skating is average overall. Decent top end speed but very poor explosiveness of the first steps and edgework for agility.

Good shot and good size.

We get it, you've decided that Poehling sucks and not an getting the WJHC MVP award will change your mind

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Good shot and good size.

weird hot take after being mvp of the U20s.

Can I say Bouchard is another Juolevi or, worse, Alzner based on that even worse foot speed?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
We get it, you've decided that Poehling sucks and not an getting the WJHC MVP award will change your mind

I dont think he sucks. I just said he is unimpressive but can still br a 3c im Nhl.

Where did you get that i said he sucks??

This also just my projection as of today ....plenty of time for Poehling to improve those weaknesses that i pointed out

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
IMO very overrated after putting up a few points. He did not look like anything special at all, an average prospect.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
He has joined some
Pretty elite company in the MVP rankings for this tournament and so has Dahlin. Usually (not always) the best players from the tournament go on to have successful NHL careers. I just looked at the list

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
appears to be a hard worker, difficult to project his career. better than your average 3c at this point.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
He could have a career like Plekanec. Some good offensive years in there, but sticks in the league because of his attention to details and strong defensive play.

Now, will he be a better version of Pleks or a worse one? That's tough to say... But a better version of Plekanec is very close to a Bergeron... So I don't think this career path is "unimpressive".

But I get it... He just won a big award (albeit in a year where noone stood out much) and some people feel the need to bring down the hype to counterbalance the award.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad