C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If someone has the best combination of size, skating and skill in hockey, I would think they are the best player in their own draft.
More to hockey than those three attributes. Most people believe he has the highest ceiling in the draft, the likelyhood of him achieving a higher ceiling than Lafreniere isnt very probable. When picking that high you want the sure thing. Very little chance he drops past the 2nd pick.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If you watched them you wouldnt suggest Quinn was on the same level as Byfield at all. Rossi and Perfetti also dont have close to the physical advantage that Byfield has. Perfetti is a weaker skater and could stand to use a year to work on that, same with Rossi really. I think Rossi is a guy who pro somewhere besides the NHL would be perfect (which it sounds like hes planning anyways). Byfield was on a different level from all those guys in the OHL except for maybe Rossi, but Byfield has the bigger frame, better skating and all that.

ALl I'm saying is dont be surprised if he has a really good camp and cracks a team this year and that might be perfectly fine for his development. Pigeon holing and saying he has to go back to junior for sure is premature

For sure, there's no reason not to give him a chance to make whatever team drafts him. If he comes into camp and is obviously ready, play him. Regardless he should get 9 games to see what it's like. We can say what we think is best right now and change our minds after camp too. Personally unless he's obviously ready to score frequently in the NHL, I think he'd be a good fit to go back to juniors and put up a ton of points again. He seems to have some consistency issues, is still filling out his massive frame and is super young.

I want him to develop that scorer's mentality of creating opportunities every time he touches the puck. I want to maximize the confidence in his game. I want him trying the craziest dangles he can think of- even if most of them won't work. With his hands, speed and size, he should be able to enforce his will on the other team. I fear him coming up too soon and developing into a more complete player too early. You don't want some NHL coach hyper-focusing on him becoming a 60 point 2 way C as fast as possible when we really want a 100 point force of nature in 5 years. I'm not saying that would happen either, it would just be my biggest fear with rushing Byfield.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Interesting to see Byfield fall in two recent rankings.
He's at 3 in McKeen's, overtaken by Stutzle.
He's at 4 in Recrutes. Overtaken by Stutzle and Sanderson.

Sanderson in the top 5 - ahead of Drysdale in both.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kind of? Getzlaf has been more consistent, and the leader of a good team(all in all). Mahovlich was never that. The latter was ridiculously talented, and gigantic by his day's standard, but couldn't always put it together on the ice. Might've been due to off ice issues.

I always think of Getzlaf as being pretty rock solid mentally. Meaner than Pete, also. Pete was faster...Byfield is far faster than Getzlaf.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
For sure, there's no reason not to give him a chance to make whatever team drafts him. If he comes into camp and is obviously ready, play him. Regardless he should get 9 games to see what it's like. We can say what we think is best right now and change our minds after camp too. Personally unless he's obviously ready to score frequently in the NHL, I think he'd be a good fit to go back to juniors and put up a ton of points again. He seems to have some consistency issues, is still filling out his massive frame and is super young.

I want him to develop that scorer's mentality of creating opportunities every time he touches the puck. I want to maximize the confidence in his game. I want him trying the craziest dangles he can think of- even if most of them won't work. With his hands, speed and size, he should be able to enforce his will on the other team. I fear him coming up too soon and developing into a more complete player too early. You don't want some NHL coach hyper-focusing on him becoming a 60 point 2 way C as fast as possible when we really want a 100 point force of nature in 5 years. I'm not saying that would happen either, it would just be my biggest fear with rushing Byfield.

If Detroit takes him, I'm in no hurry to call him up. But it's not an easy decision.
He's a big kid. But despite the weight, he's not sturdy, really. He's still growing into his body. He could grow more still, not even 18.

I could see some Joe Thornton type rookie year for Byfield, whether it's his D+1 or D+2 year.
He could struggle for awhile in the NHL. Does he have the mental toughness to stay focused?

On the other hand, he's got flaws in his game that he's not going to overcome by physically overwhelming OHL kids.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You don't want to throw most 18 yo's into a dressing room with a bunch of tough men, all of whom are extremely competitive. There are some kids who are excpetions, but i don't think Byfield is one of them. It's best he spends at least one year, if not two, in junior.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Interesting to see Byfield fall in two recent rankings.
He's at 3 in McKeen's, overtaken by Stutzle.
He's at 4 in Recrutes. Overtaken by Stutzle and Sanderson.

Sanderson in the top 5 - ahead of Drysdale in both.
Sanderson is ranked 3rd? Ahead of Byfield? :eek:

Reactions: m0pe

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Sanderson is ranked 3rd? Ahead of Byfield? :eek:

Recrutes is formulated by the guy who also thought Michael McLeod was the third best prospect of the 2016 draft, and got pissy as f*** everytime someone suggested otherwise.

That dude left a bad taste in my mouth, not by his ranking but his defensiveness and arrogant assurance.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Recrutes is formulated by the guy who also thought Michael McLeod was the third best prospect of the 2017 draft, and got pissy as f*** everytime someone suggested otherwise.

That dude left a bad taste in my mouth, not by his ranking but his defensiveness and arrogant assurance.
With that kinda history his rankings dont suprise me.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Recrutes is formulated by the guy who also thought Michael McLeod was the third best prospect of the 2016 draft, and got pissy as f*** everytime someone suggested otherwise.

'That guy' has become the Voldemort of HFBoards. His name, if ever spoken, is done in hushed tones. :laugh:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
You don't want to throw most 18 yo's into a dressing room with a bunch of tough men, all of whom are extremely competitive. There are some kids who are excpetions, but i don't think Byfield is one of them. It's best he spends at least one year, if not two, in junior.

He'll be in the NHL next year, not because it's what's best for him, but because the team that drafts him 2nd overall isn't picking 2nd because they're any good at their job.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
'That guy' has become the Voldemort of HFBoards. His name, if ever spoken, is done in hushed tones. :laugh:

I like McCagg. He's pretty rough in some of his assessments. Seems like he goes for shock value on some of his picks.
But this guy also turned me on to prospects that weren't in my wheelhouse in past drafts. When he talked up Robert Thomas as a top 10 pick, I looked closely at him and determined, that, yep, this guy is a top 10 talent. People scoffed at it, but all I kept seeing was a Marc Savard/Pavel Datsyuk type of center - exactly what Detroit needed at the time.
So when he talks up Sanderson, and I start thinking about the way Geoff Sanderson skated, I take notice.
The idea of Sanderson on the left and Seider on the right sounds kind of pretty good to me.

That said, if I'm choosing between Byfield and Sanderson, it's Byfield all the way for me.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's a complete moron and a bad person.

Remember when he lashed out at a customer who bought a premium subscription and then he added some post-draft review and didn't include it, so Customer asked why he didn't get it and he responds like this.

Or, how he's just an idiot when it comes to running a business because he chooses to purposefully antagonize one of the largest potential group of customers because of the Laine/Matthews debate. There are a lot of people in the prospect industry who don't know what there doing, but McCagg is one of the few I'll actively call out due to a bunch of things (treating unpaid volunteers badly, trying to ruin people's reputations, and legit not knowing what he's talking about unless he hears it from Trevor Timmons).

Attachments

• McCagg.PNG
    McCagg.PNG
    451.8 KB · Views: 35
  • McCagg 2.PNG
    McCagg 2.PNG
    447.8 KB · Views: 20

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
He's a complete moron and a bad person.

Remember when he lashed out at a customer who bought a premium subscription and then he added some post-draft review and didn't include it, so Customer asked why he didn't get it and he responds like this.

Or, how he's just an idiot when it comes to running a business because he chooses to purposefully antagonize one of the largest potential group of customers because of the Laine/Matthews debate. There are a lot of people in the prospect industry who don't know what there doing, but McCagg is one of the few I'll actively call out due to a bunch of things (treating unpaid volunteers badly, trying to ruin people's reputations, and legit not knowing what he's talking about unless he hears it from Trevor Timmons).
If you want to know the best scouts/talent evaluators, go to the rink and look for the older scouts sitting by themselves watching the games. Nowadays you will see a bunch of young guys walk in with matching scouting jackets, all stand together talking to each other and watching maybe 15% of the game.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Anyone else following the pure BS ISS posted about Byfield? Out of all their prospect blurbs he was the only one with a negative description of his game. That’s not the problem, but the fact that it seemed to be Malicious is. The fact that they tagged him in that post really angers me.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
How did Sanderson jump up to 4 behind Byfield?
Sanderson was rising at the time play ended, and a lot of these prognosticators like to pick a rising guy as their "I told ya so" player in case he hits.

Not a lot of clicks or buys for the rankers who fall too close to Central Scouting.

Sanderson is a fine prospect who played his way into the top half of the draft, and with picks 5-10 being fairly close in value, being a defenseman may see him go earlier than expected. Top 5 would definitely be a reach in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad