C Peyton Krebs - Winnipeg Ice, WHL (2019, 17th, VGK) | Trade to BUF

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
His agent has done a damn job keeping the info as little as possible while trying to sound like he’s “fine” as much as possible. If I was a team gm I would request the doctors report from his agent. Depending on how bad it is, he could be out TIL December.

Benning recently confirmed the Canucks have already requested Krebs medical documents ahead of the draft, and I'm sure they're not the only team doing it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Honestly, its a temporary setback. He's a very young, elite athlete who will get all the attention in the world by the team doctors that drafted him. It's not even a full tear. I suspect he will be skating in 2 months or less.
Two months or less? An Achilles injury is pretty damn serious.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
So when his name gets called will the team drafting him say Kootenay or Winnipeg? It would be weird to say Winnipeg as he never played there yet, but saying Kootenay would also be weird because the team no longer exists.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Two months or less? An Achilles injury is pretty damn serious.
A partial Achilles tear is much less severe than a complete rupture/tear. A complete tear has a much longer recovery time than a partial tear and a partial tear once healed doesn't carry a significant re tearing risk. That said, 2 months does seem quite quick.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
A partial Achilles tear is much less severe than a complete rupture/tear. A complete tear has a much longer recovery time than a partial tear and a partial tear once healed doesn't carry a significant re tearing risk. That said, 2 months does seem quite quick.
Yeah,that's already been talked about up thread. 6-12 weeks would be a very nice healing time for a partial tear( not all tears are the same), then you have to deal with a partially atrophied muscle group around the tendon. Certainly not a disaster, but not great.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yeah,that's already been talked about up thread. 6-12 weeks would be a very nice healing time for a partial tear( not all tears are the same), then you have to deal with a partially atrophied muscle group around the tendon. Certainly not a disaster, but not great.

Torn Achilles is 4-6 months.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Agent confirmed he will miss training camp.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So when his name gets called will the team drafting him say Kootenay or Winnipeg? It would be weird to say Winnipeg as he never played there yet, but saying Kootenay would also be weird because the team no longer exists.

Not sure if it was done on purpose or just mild stage fright, but I vaguely recall some teams just announcing the league rather than the team. And I suppose it was a special circumstance in 2010 with the Draft in Los Angeles, but Anaheim simply announced "From Long Beach (California), Emerson Etem."

rdubb

Apr 9, 2004
The only real likely detriment is the lost summer of training. There’s a reason Achilles injuries in hockey are very rare outside of lacerations. The demands of the sport are fairly low for the Achilles so there isn’t too much risk long term. It’s no where near as much stress as running/jumping/landing etc.

Can’t say 100% without knowing all the details but likely very low risk.

Reactions: derriko

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
It's not like he was going to be playing in the NHL for a year or two anyway.

He may still drop a bit if any teams had him even with another player and just needed something to tilt the scales. Shouldn't cost him more than a spot or two.

Aug 10, 2015

Agreed. I am hoping for "From the Kootenay Ice...." but I doubt it...I like the no team option, announce his home town or something.

But I am a Kootenay Ice season ticket holder, so a little biased/jaded on this point.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I think with Karlsson there was some drop off, not sure if this was the cause, age or other wear and tear to be certain.

With Karlsson it was the revision surgery where they had to re-anchor into a bone with decent blood supply.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Agent confirmed he will miss training camp.

If it's only the rookie training and information seminar that is held slightly after the draft in july, it's normal. If his agent says Krebs will miss the rookie pre-season camp in early-september, then that's a bit perplexing as that timeline would mean that Krebs will have taken a bit longer to heal than is normal for a partial tear. If his agent means that Krebs will miss the whole pro training camp in late september, then it's quite the grim comment as that entails that the injury is closer to a full rupture, an injury that is much worse and harder to recuperate from than what Krebs has allegedly suffered.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
If the Achilles tendon tear is partial then treatment with braces or other orthotic devices for a period of six to eight weeks is good enough to allow the tendon to heal. Once through with the bracing period, the individual will have to go through intense physical therapy for strengthening and improved range of motion exercises for a period of about two to four weeks. Post therapy, depending on the type of work that the individual does, a gradual return to work program will be initiated. On the whole, it normally takes approximately 10-12 weeks to completely recover from a partially torn achilles tendon.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If the Achilles tendon tear is partial then treatment with braces or other orthotic devices for a period of six to eight weeks is good enough to allow the tendon to heal. Once through with the bracing period, the individual will have to go through intense physical therapy for strengthening and improved range of motion exercises for a period of about two to four weeks. Post therapy, depending on the type of work that the individual does, a gradual return to work program will be initiated. On the whole, it normally takes approximately 10-12 weeks to completely recover from a partially torn achilles tendon.
They said he already had surgery to repair. Does that change much of what you said?

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007

I think this assessment is highly aggressive. There’s so much we don’t know so its difficult to really accurately determine his timeline. For example, was it a full thickness tear and what percentage was torn? Two big questions that vary recovery time tremendously.

However, he’ll likely spend minimum of 6 weeks in a walking boot, 12 weeks is usually recommended for full ruptures so you can put 12 weeks as the upper limit. After that, you’re likely looking at 2-3 months of rehab. Being in a walking boot causes a lot of atrophying and muscle shortening to occur, but it must be done in order for it to heal properly. It can take time for that new tissue to become pliable again and rushing it can cause long term problems like tendinitis/tendinosis or even impaired gait patterns.

He should be able to make a full recovery. He is working with the elite in the healthcare injury but those taking it for granted need to re-access just how significant an Achilles injury is. I will say one thing for him, a hockey skate is essentially a walking boot with a blade attached to it so as long as he recovers well, I wouldn’t say the risk of reinjury is significant.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's not like he was going to be playing in the NHL for a year or two anyway.

He may still drop a bit if any teams had him even with another player and just needed something to tilt the scales. Shouldn't cost him more than a spot or two.
Agreed, but you can't pretend that the time lost doesn't matter to his overall timeline in getting to the NHL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Karlsson had a 70% tear of his, and surprised everyone by coming back and playing in 12 weeks. He later admitted that his forward skating was affected, not so much his side to side. Hopefully Krebs has a less severe tear, with more of the original tendon to rely on, but I would still say that he takes as much time as possible to heal and rehab.

I'm assuming that it is not a full rupture, where you have to stretch the tendon and reattach it. Finicky stuff, and more serious, though all,of these injuries are no picnic, especially for athletes.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
They said he already had surgery to repair. Does that change much of what you said?

My answer is it is only a guide line, and as 57 special mentioned, Karlsson came back in 12 weeks, which included the rehab......and it was much worse, so without the proper info, the answer is hard to extablish…….

My thoughts on it are 10 to 12 weeks.....total time, including rehab.

That is June to July, July to August, and August to September 10, which is actually August 31st, so he should be up and running by the beginning of September, which is close to the start of camp...……...

But again, that is only a guestament………...my bet he is skating Sept. 15th

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Ranked number 10 by Bob on his Final Rankings, actually moved up for 12. Said injury won’t hold him back from being a top 10 pick!

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The only concern I have with his injury is that we are now 12 days removed from his surgery and we have not had a public statement from his camp of what the belief of his recovery period is. It could be that it doesn't exist yet, but if it was a "positive" timeline, I can only imagine it would be made public.

Edit: that being said, he's still one of my favorite prospects in the draft and would not hesitate to pick him at #6 if I was running the Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad