C Owen Beck - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2022, 33rd, MTL)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Surprised he didn't get suspended for his head shot vs Denver Barkey that got him kicked outta game 2 of the OHL final...especially since Barkey missed the rest of game 2 and the entire game 3 as a result. OHL doesn't usually hold back with suspensions in such cases.

they said he was sick last game I believe. I didn't think it was suspension worthy.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
they said he was sick last game I believe. I didn't think it was suspension worthy.
It was an elbow to the head. Of course it should have been a suspension. Also, of course London isn't gonna reveal any health details in a playoff final but I'm shocked if Barkey didn't suffer a concussion on that play. I'm cheering for the Petes and I like old school hockey...if I can't defend that hit then I don't think a lot of people can. Barkey was standing almost upright along the boards and got hit hard by a flying elbow. That hit wasn't even close from legal and that's why Beck got kicked out of the game. In the OHL, I've seen players get lengthy suspensions for much less.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It was an elbow to the head. Of course it should have been a suspension. Also, of course London isn't gonna reveal any health details in a playoff final but I'm shocked if Barkey didn't suffer a concussion on that play. I'm cheering for the Petes and I like old school hockey...if I can't defend that hit then I don't think a lot of people can. Barkey was standing almost upright along the boards and got hit hard by a flying elbow. That hit wasn't even close from legal and that's why Beck got kicked out of the game. In the OHL, I've seen players get lengthy suspensions for much less.
It was a bad hit and deserved the major and misconduct. Maybe an extra game.
But I don't see a flying elbow... or anything extremely malicious.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Flying elbow? watch it in slow mo, Beck goes in shoulder first, which is why he didn't get suspended and for good reason.

During game 3 I believe they said both Barkey and Cowan are sick. Beck took an unexpected hit and lay there, I thought that might have been a concussion so I was a bit surprised to see him back but they did keep his TOI down.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Flying elbow? watch it in slow mo, Beck goes in shoulder first, which is why he didn't get suspended and for good reason.

During game 3 I believe they said both Barkey and Cowan are sick. Beck took an unexpected hit and lay there, I thought that might have been a concussion so I was a bit surprised to see him back but they did keep his TOI down.
Yeah to me that blind side hit was worse because Beck didn't have the puck or just touched it and the guy blindsided him bad after 4-5 strides.

Beck elbow was tucked down on his hit and went full body while catching the head in the process.

Reactions: montreal

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Still don't know how you can defend this hit. Even as a homer that seems impossible. It's a clear elbow to head of a player almost upright along the boards. Also, Barkey was unable to play on and missed at least one more game as a result. Good for the Petes but Beck should have been suspended.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Still don't know how you can defend this hit. Even as a homer that seems impossible. It's a clear elbow to head of a player almost upright along the boards. Also, Barkey was unable to play on and missed at least one more game as a result. Good for the Petes but Beck should have been suspended.
The elbow is tucked, not a flying elbow like you were saying... not nearly the same. To me the result is worse then the intentions. He was going for a big hit but caught the head, he didn't go out of his way to hit head only.

No one is defending the hit we all agreed it deserved a match penalty, at least...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

did you re-watch it slow mo? Cause it's clear he isn't going into the hit with his elbow. It has nothing to do with being a homer and the OHL agrees, and it's not like the OHL follows the NHL with such disregard for their players.

Mar 12, 2009
did you re-watch it slow mo? Cause it's clear he isn't going into the hit with his elbow. It has nothing to do with being a homer and the OHL agrees, and it's not like the OHL follows the NHL with such disregard for their players.
appealing to the authority of the OHL isn't going to get you very far with people familiar with the OHL lol. They look at NHL DoPS decisions and go "hold my beer".

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, good player with the puck but he really has to clean up his game against the puck. He's too good to do stupid and dirty stuff like this.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Just scored a beautiful end to end goal vs Seattle at the Memorial Cup but he did it coming out of the box after an awful knee on knee.

Not a good look given his recent history. Has to be careful not to earn himself a reputation.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Honestly I don't think that it is a good look that the NHL made this decision but that being said Beck won't be playing much longer as it looks like the Petes will go 0-3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad