C Michael Rasmussen - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2017, 9th, DET)

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don’t think I ever explicitly stated my disdain for this pick but I will eat some crow here as Rasmussen has pretty much done everything possible to prove me wrong this year.
I agree that he had a good year, improved his ES production and put up good numbers. I'm going to let my Crow cool for a bit before I start eating though. I want to see him succeeding in a top 6C spot first.

Regardless, I'm happy that he had a good year and hopefully he continues developing. If he can succeed in the NHL next season that'd be awesome.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Final season totals:

61 GP - 47 G - 45 A - 92 P - 1.51 pts/g

+25 rating
54%FOW

I'm not asking you to do it but just building off your post. I would be interested in seeing his post surgery final numbers for the season. He ended on something like 1 pointless game in 25 games

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I'm not asking you to do it but just building off your post. I would be interested in seeing his post surgery final numbers for the season. He ended on something like 1 pointless game in 25 games
I don’t know the numbers myself, but I do know that he was in extreme pain through the first part of the season and played through it up until the surgery.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Pre surgery
22 GP 16 goals 15 assists 31 points +9 1.41pts/gp

Post-surgery (regular season + playoffs):

39GP 31 Goals 31 assists 62 points +16 1.59pts/gp

He started fairly slow after returning from injury though, 7 points in 7 games. If you look at this numbers since that point, he had 55 points in 32 games. Almost same numbers as Vilardi's regular season totals (58 points in 32 games) which is fairly interesting considering the wiiiiide gap between how the two are ranked.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Pre surgery

He started fairly slow after returning from injury though, 7 points in 7 games. If you look at this numbers since that point, he had 55 points in 32 games. Almost same numbers as Vilardi's regular season totals (58 points in 32 games) which is fairly interesting considering the wiiiiide gap between how the two are ranked.

I know that Craig Custance had an article in The Athletic recently about Rasmussen and discussed the recovery from the surgery. He mentioned that even after returning with no restrictions he still was playing through pain; he didn't start playing truly pain-free until a few weeks ago, which would line up right about when he took off to a new level of play.

If his production was solely hindered by his injury, then there's significantly more upside to this pick than anyone has been giving credit.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I know that Craig Custance had an article in The Athletic recently about Rasmussen and discussed the recovery from the surgery. He mentioned that even after returning with no restrictions he still was playing through pain; he didn't start playing truly pain-free until a few weeks ago, which would line up right about when he took off to a new level of play.

If his production was solely hindered by his injury, then there's significantly more upside to this pick than anyone has been giving credit.
I’ll take credit :sarcasm:
I’ve always mentioned I believe he’s had 1B potential.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Pre surgery

Yeah missing some time for the surgery and getting back into shape and everything would impact that. 1.72 points per game over 32 games to end the year is pretty good. Especially when you consider part of that is playoff games where the intensity is up even higher. Better to finish on a high note, if he keeps this play going he'll get good minutes with the wings next year

Reactions: 99664987

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I don't get the hype still. He had an underwhelming regular season and was out produced by several players drafted lower than him and a small playoff sample size in which his entire line shot over 25% combined, which is unsustainable. Best of luck to the kid but I think Detroit will be regretting this pick in a couple years

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I don't get the hype still. He had an underwhelming regular season and was out produced by several players drafted lower than him and a small playoff sample size in which his entire line shot over 25% combined, which is unsustainable. Best of luck to the kid but I think Detroit will be regretting this pick in a couple years
He was ailing and fresh off of injury the whole season. Coming back from surgery he wasn’t ready and rushed back.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The.. hype? Hype? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I feel confident in saying Rasmussen has the least hype of a top 10 pick in recent history. There are re-drafts where people are barely putting him in the 1st round. This is a guy that finished the season with 55 points in 32 games, which is just as "small sample size" as Vilardi's regular season (58 points in 32 games) which people feel fine using to put him as one of the best prospects in the world.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

I feel confident in saying Rasmussen has the least hype of a top 10 pick in recent history. There are re-drafts where people are barely putting him in the 1st round. This is a guy that finished the season with 55 points in 32 games, which is just as "small sample size" as Vilardi's regular season (58 points in 32 games) which people feel fine using to put him as one of the best prospects in the world.

Last Time I checked he had 59 points in 47 regular season games

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

Rasmussen had 59 points in 47 games.... not 55 in 32

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Then that's cherry picking to make your argument, which we often seen regarding Detroit with the exception of Blashill.
It was a counter to the argument that he only produced for a small sample size. 32 games is not really a small sample size (over 50% of his season). Even the less ”cherrypicked” sample of post-surgery leaves him with 62 points in 39 games which is definitely a solid pace.

Injuries slowed him down early. Nothing made up about that.
The Athletic said:
It hurt him in the faceoff circle. It hurt when he shot the puck. It hurt when he engaged guys defensively.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
:laugh:

Willfully obtuse as to what PD was saying.

Just reinforces the point about all that "hype" we've been hearing since his playoff performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad