C Michael Rasmussen - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2017, 9th, DET)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It would be a terrible move to send him back to the CHL. His size/strength combined with the fact that he plays a game where size/strength are very important means that he'll just push around CHL kids all day. Which is what we're seeing in the WHL playoffs.

It's not ideal, but the NHL is where he's got to be next year.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He won’t have a team around him in the NHL. Detroit is heading in the wrong direction, and they run the risk of developing Oileritis if they bring their young guns into the fold too quickly.
Wings get a lot of bashing for being old and having too many veterans, but you're concerned about a 6'6" top 10 pick potentially making the team in his d+2? Rasmussen could start by playing the wing next to Zetterberg or Nielsen, or riding shotgun with guys that have established themselves like Larkin and Mantha. I think he'll be fine. He should be physically ready and he's a mature guy that plays a very pro-friendly game.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Wings get a lot of bashing for being old and having too many veterans, but you're concerned about a 6'6" top 10 pick potentially making the team in his d+2? Rasmussen could start by playing the wing next to Zetterberg or Nielsen, or riding shotgun with guys that have established themselves like Larkin and Mantha. I think he'll be fine. He should be physically ready and he's a mature guy that plays a very pro-friendly game.

All of this is true. I am still concerned though, due to the state of the Wings team. Also I admit that like many here on HF, I never saw him as a true top 10 pick, but a bit of a reach with a high floor due to size. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
All of this is true. I am still concerned though, due to the state of the Wings team. Also I admit that like many here on HF, I never saw him as a true top 10 pick, but a bit of a reach with a high floor due to size. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
Wings aren't good but they actually play competitive games. They weren't unrealistically far out of a playoff spot until after the TDL and lost a ton of 1-goal games. It's not like stepping into Edmonton/Buffalo/AZ that are dead in the water from day 1 of the season. Development-wise it's still a decent environment.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wings aren't good but they actually play competitive games. They weren't unrealistically far out of a playoff spot until after the TDL and lost a ton of 1-goal games. It's not like stepping into Edmonton/Buffalo/AZ that are dead in the water from day 1 of the season. Development-wise it's still a decent environment.

Yeah I would even say the wings are a good spot for a young guy to step into right now. Theyre bad enough that theyll for sure get playing time but they dont have the loser mentality, they still battle in games and have guys like Larkin and Zetterberg who never mail it in. I would assume Rasmussen will play on one of their wings to start so I'm not worried. A perennial tank team like Buffalo or Edmonton I would be iffy, but getting at least one season under your belt to learn from Zetterberg is probably much better than being 6'6 230 in junior and dominating because of size.

A lot of wings fans complain that the wings havent just burnt it to the ground but now they still have a decent culture with some cup winners around and it can still be a good place for young players. The wings werent close to the bottom until they lost 10 straight post trade deadline. Rasmussen would likley get PP time as well

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i will gladly admit i was wrong about him.

beast mode this year.

from anyone who's seen him play this year vs prior years:
1. How's his skating?
2. what has improved the most about his game this year?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
i will gladly admit i was wrong about him.

beast mode this year.

from anyone who's seen him play this year vs prior years:
1. How's his skating?
2. what has improved the most about his game this year?
He’s a good skater. He’s not overly explosive but he’s gotten way better and the technique down pat. He’s a very balanced skater and is very strong on his feet. Skating won’t be an issue, in fact he’s incredible mobile for his size.

The one big red flag most people see is his ES points and production considering he’s a monster on the power play. I think the ES points will come, and he’s being still underrated for being a “net camper”.

I think he’s used his body better this year. He can still improve but it’s pivotal for someone of his size to use it to his advantage. He does it well in front of the net, but he’s been using to learn it better in the flow of play as well.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think people also underestimate elite net front players and the effect they can have on a game. Even if he is a 45 pt player that isnt to say that he doesnt lead too another 15 goals as a top end net front prescence. I mean how many of Lids, Chelis, Raffys, Kronners, Feds etc can be directly attributed to guys like Dino and Homer. Unlike other forward roles, net front guys can have a major impact on the game without getting points all the time.

As for next year, I think it would be a waste to play him in juniors again. He is too physically mature. Either encourage him to go develop his offensive game in like Sweden as a pro or bring him to the NHL. I do think it is critical that Blash encourage him to develop his offensive game though. Sticking him on the 4th line as a grinder could kill his offensive potential down the line, because i think he already leans towards a safer game. He needs to be groomed as a top 6 forward, not a grinder.

Reactions: 99664987

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
For those who have watched him. Was the Anders Lee comparison at the draft a legitimate one to make?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
For those who have watched him. Was the Anders Lee comparison at the draft a legitimate one to make?
He's a bigger version of Lee that's better at screening the goalie and has the same ability to slam the puck in. He isn't very heavy for his size. More of an athletic 6'6 player. Not as skilled with the puck though.

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
Watched him and the Americans dismantle Victoria for the 2 games in Victoria. I can't see Rasmussen in junior again it was man against boys, especially when he was lining up for faceoffs against Dante hannoun who is 5foot5. At the very least he should be in the AHL next year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
After a bad slump with only 3 points the last 3 games, Ras bounces back with a 3-point game.
His playoff scoring pace has dropped to 2.64 pts/g.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
18 game point streak, 2.64 ppg in the playoffs

With playoffs already started would he be able to join Grand Rapids on an ATO if he gets eliminated this series?

Reactions: 21 Savage

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
88 points in 58 games now for the entire season, while battling injuries.

1.51 ppg, same as Cody Glass in the same league.

Still looking like a bust though because people who have never watched him play say so because uhh reasons

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
88 points in 58 games now for the entire season, while battling injuries.

1.51 ppg, same as Cody Glass in the same league.

Still looking like a bust though because people who have never watched him play say so because uhh reasons
Because the uhh skill cap on him, his height and weight and skill mean that he will be nothing more than a 3rd line center :sarcasm:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
He’s a good skater. He’s not overly explosive but he’s gotten way better and the technique down pat. He’s a very balanced skater and is very strong on his feet. Skating won’t be an issue, in fact he’s incredible mobile for his size.

The one big red flag most people see is his ES points and production considering he’s a monster on the power play. I think the ES points will come, and he’s being still underrated for being a “net camper”.

I think he’s used his body better this year. He can still improve but it’s pivotal for someone of his size to use it to his advantage. He does it well in front of the net, but he’s been using to learn it better in the flow of play as well.
well, considering our PP is abysmal.. that would be a welcomed addition.
thanks

Reactions: Tryamkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad