Waived: C. McDonald **Cleared Post 94**

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I've watched enough video on Donovan to state with certainty he sucks as a defenceman. He might be good as Mark Streit Canadiens version (i.e.- d-man on the powerplay only, extra player on the bench or 4th line forward fill in).

as far as Boulton goes- His career should have been over years ago. Other teams can find enforcers with a scoring touch why can't the Isles.

A bit harsh on McDonald I think. He came out of nowhere and proved to be a pretty solid 4th liner. No need to just discard him as dead weight.

I'm not trying to be overly harsh on CMac - I respect the guy and what he's given to the team. But honestly, if Martin goes down and the Isles skate Mike Halmo (or Sundstrom or Persson) in his place over CMac, would the level of performance drop much/if at all?

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
I'm not trying to be overly harsh on CMac - I respect the guy and what he's given to the team. But honestly, if Martin goes down and the Isles skate Mike Halmo (or Sundstrom or Persson) in his place over CMac, would the level of performance drop much/if at all?

I assume you say "goes down" you mean injured. don't know about performance level. The thing is bottom 6 players need to know how to play the PK. Was McDonald able to do that? I think so. Can any of the three after mentioned? - If they can great, if not Snow took a mighty gamble and he could end up blowing it.

Another thing was McDonald versatility.

Just don't see why a guy who can actually contribute in something no how miniscule gets overlooked in favor someone who only knows how to treat a punching bag.

if it was Lee up Boulton down I'd ecstatic no arguments but this move ..... leaves something to ponder. Is it because Snow doesn't mind Boulton sitting in the press box for weeks but wants McDonald to actually play at least somewhere or is it something else?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
arguing over who gets to stay in the NHL : Conacher or CMAC is like arguing who gets booted out of the beauty contest first, Courtney Love or Amy Winehouse?

Neither one of them should have been there in the first place. And in the end both will be gone in the end.

I'm not going to cry a river for CMac, but this sets up an interesting situation if it means Conacher going to the 4th line where he will be even more of a liability than he is now.

I still don't know why Comichal is still on the club, and that includes before, during, or after the waiving of CMac,

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I assume you say "goes down" you mean injured. don't know about performance level. The thing is bottom 6 players need to know how to play the PK. Was McDonald able to do that? I think so. Can any of the three after mentioned? - If they can great, if not Snow took a mighty gamble and he could end up blowing it.

1) Actually McDonald couldn't kill penalties at all, in his time with the Islanders he spent less than 25 TOTAL minutes on the penalty kill. Usually the last 10 or 11 seconds of a kill after the puck had been cleared out of the zone and his line was coming on to the ice after the kill.

2) Sundstrom is an excellent penalty killer, very responsible defensively and smart. He's better in all three zones than CMAC. Also the Islanders have another terrific penalty killer in Harry Zolnierczyk. That guy makes a lot happen. Undersized, but he doesn't know it. Fearless and strong for his size, his style of play along with his speed causes a lot of issues for opponents. He's fun to watch.

CMAC was not really versatile. A bottom 6 winger (to put it kindly, he's more of a NHL/AHL tweener) that cant play PP or PK...... dime a dozen type guy.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
1) Actually McDonald couldn't kill penalties at all, in his time with the Islanders he spent less than 25 TOTAL minutes on the penalty kill. Usually the last 10 or 11 seconds of a kill after the puck had been cleared out of the zone and his line was coming on to the ice after the kill.

2) Sundstrom is an excellent penalty killer, very responsible defensively and smart. He's better in all three zones than CMAC. Also the Islanders have another terrific penalty killer in Harry Zolnierczyk. That guy makes a lot happen. Undersized, but he doesn't know it. Fearless and strong for his size, his style of play along with his speed causes a lot of issues for opponents. He's fun to watch.

CMAC was not really versatile. A bottom 6 winger (to put it kindly, he's more of a NHL/AHL tweener) that cant play PP or PK...... dime a dozen type guy.

I was actually reffering to his ability to play all 3 forward positions.

Thought for sure I remembered seeing him play on PK (last 11 seconds really? even with all the injuries to their regulars at times??)

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I was actually reffering to his ability to play all 3 forward positions.

Thought for sure I remembered seeing him play on PK (last 11 seconds really? even with all the injuries to their regulars at times??)

His responsibilities on the PK were below limited. Sporadic would be over stating it. Injuries happen and penalty killers take penalties.... when you combine the two things get thin quick. Happened a few times..... doesn't make him a penalty killer though. certainly not an asset as one.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Now let's not slaughter Lee if he doesn't score 10 goals in the 1st 2 games.

I think C Mac will clear.

I actually think he gets claimed, he is ok 4th liner in league i think. He also provides some depth and is good AHLer as well. I am happy Lee is coming up but would have rather not lost Mcdonald to waivers because it does hurt the depth but we'll see if he gets claimed.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
we have had enough 4th liners playing 2nd line minutes in the last 10 years that I have lost count. Cmac was great vs. pitt in playoffs and that's what i'll remember of him. But now we have depth. Real depth. Keeping 4th liners instead of bringing up a guy like Lee does not make sense in our world anymore.

MaryChristine*

we have had enough 4th liners playing 2nd line minutes in the last 10 years that I have lost count. Cmac was great vs. pitt in playoffs and that's what i'll remember of him. But now we have depth. Real depth. Keeping 4th liners instead of bringing up a guy like Lee does not make sense in our world anymore.

Your post is so refreshing.
That's a great way to remember CMac. :handclap:
The bolded section is SO true. There's so many fans who think it makes sense to keep a guy like CMac in case of injury... That's no way to run a team.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Just don't see why a guy who can actually contribute in something no how miniscule gets overlooked in favor someone who only knows how to treat a punching bag.

if it was Lee up Boulton down I'd ecstatic no arguments but this move ..... leaves something to ponder. Is it because Snow doesn't mind Boulton sitting in the press box for weeks but wants McDonald to actually play at least somewhere or is it something else?

I don't think Snow much cares about whether CMac gets ice time somewhere - its a situation with a young(ish) guy like Lee where he wants him to get the experience. Rather, the analysis between sending down CMac and Boulton is whether you want to carry that fighter for certain (extremely limited) circumstances. Obviously Snow still feels that he should. Any positive that CMac brings to the table vis a vis his replacement is not enough for Snow (or Cappy) to give up having the option to dress Boulton if the situation arises. At least, that appears to be the analysis thus far.

Personally, while I like having the option of the heavy lineup, you need that guy less and less in today's hockey to the point where its probably not worth wasting a roster spot to carry him. Tuesday's game is a perfect example of that. In the past 2 years, we had to dress Carkner and Boulton when we played the TML because they were dressing Orr/McClaren/Fraser. This year, Cappy didn't have to worry about that because they don't have any goons in their lineup (not counting Phaneuf who's just an ass). My gut reaction would have been to dress Boulton tonight but being that Thornton's gone and Bobby Robins is back in Providence, there's again no real reason to dress Boulton. So, if that's the case, why have Boulton on the roster at all?

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Personally, while I like having the option of the heavy lineup, you need that guy less and less in today's hockey to the point where its probably not worth wasting a roster spot to carry him. Tuesday's game is a perfect example of that. In the past 2 years, we had to dress Carkner and Boulton when we played the TML because they were dressing Orr/McClaren/Fraser. This year, Cappy didn't have to worry about that because they don't have any goons in their lineup (not counting Phaneuf who's just an ass). My gut reaction would have been to dress Boulton tonight but being that Thornton's gone and Bobby Robins is back in Providence, there's again no real reason to dress Boulton. So, if that's the case, why have Boulton on the roster at all?

Agreed, and we can always bring Gallant up if we really need a thumper. He'd have to go through waivers on the way back down, but I don't see that being a problem.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Agreed, and we can always bring Gallant up if we really need a thumper. He'd have to go through waivers on the way back down, but I don't see that being a problem.

The one thing I can envision is that Boulton is a very good lockerroom guy and they are probably loath to waive a guy like him - especially if he is content to hangout in the pressbox. Ditto Carkner. From what I remember, those guys were the two who organized the "voluntary" skates prior to camp. And being that CMac is also a seemingly well liked vet, all things equal, they probably don't want to kick them all to the curb if they don't have to.

Perhaps Boults will have instructions to punch a helmet real hard and make a big demonstration of holding his wrist as he skates to the lockerroom so he can be IR'd. :)

Katurian

Oct 20, 2011
Crown Heights
I think Colin is a bottom six guy on a team that isn't as deep as we are. He can chop on some goals in a third/fourth line role.

I feel like he lost the physical edge to the game that got him a two year contract on this team. If he clears, or wherever he winds up, he needs to find it again if he wants to stay on This level.

He can be a clutterbuck type.

ettlinger

Sep 13, 2005
I still hope he clears. Bridgeport could use a veteran like him.

....aaaaaand he cleared.

Last edited:

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I think Colin is a bottom six guy on a team that isn't as deep as we are. He can chop on some goals in a third/fourth line role.

I feel like he lost the physical edge to the game that got him a two year contract on this team. If he clears, or wherever he winds up, he needs to find it again if he wants to stay on This level.

He can be a clutterbuck type.

Guess not. Unclaimed. I don't think it was his salary that kept all 29 other NHL franchises away. I think it's because the guy is just not an NHL player.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Guess not. Unclaimed. I don't think it was his salary that kept all 29 other NHL franchises away. I think it's because the guy is just not an NHL player.

He's the hockey version of a AAAA player and every team pretty much has their own versions of him. No reason to go out and grab another team's 15th fwd. If Martin or Clutter go down with an injury, I have no real problem having CMac skate in the spot. Of course, if the team wants Conacher to take that spot (or Sundstrom or Persson), can't really argue with it either.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Good, we maintain our depth.

True, Bridgeport does have a fair amount of players that make less than a million bucks and if those players were offered to every other team in the NHL for free, they would decline as they did with CMAC, and Leggio and Poulin and Mouillierat and Zolnierczyk and Ness and Gallant. Only one that didn't get through was Skille.

If that constitutes depth.......

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
True, Bridgeport does have a fair amount of players that make less than a million bucks and if those players were offered to every other team in the NHL for free, they would decline as they did with CMAC, and Leggio and Poulin and Mouillierat and Zolnierczyk and Ness and Gallant. Only one that didn't get through was Skille.

If that constitutes depth.......

I meant that it's a player who we know can fill in if an injury happens to the bottom 6. He doesn't fit on this team because of the depth we have now, but he can certainly fill in if something happens and we know what we're getting.

Katurian

Oct 20, 2011
Crown Heights

He was good in the playoff series against Pitt. Played very physical. That entire year, he was an NHL player.

He lost that. Or doesn't bring it everyday. I don't know. I wouldn't claim him now either. Next year he'll get a shot with someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad