Waived: C. McDonald **Cleared Post 94**

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
arguing over who gets to stay in the NHL : Conacher or CMAC is like arguing who gets booted out of the beauty contest first, Courtney Love or Amy Winehouse?

Neither one of them should have been there in the first place. And in the end both will be gone in the end.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Yikes, rotoworld should steer clear of hockey. :shakehead::facepalm:

Isles waive veteran defenseman Colin McDonald
Colin McDonald has been placed on waivers by the New York Islanders.
McDonald has played in just two games this season. He might have gotten more playing time had the Islanders not acquired Johnny Boychuk and Nick Leddy before the start of the season.
Source: Renaud Lavoie on Twitter Oct 22 - 12:40 PM

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Yikes, rotoworld should steer clear of hockey. :shakehead::facepalm:

Isles waive veteran defenseman Colin McDonald
Colin McDonald has been placed on waivers by the New York Islanders.
McDonald has played in just two games this season. He might have gotten more playing time had the Islanders not acquired Johnny Boychuk and Nick Leddy before the start of the season.
Source: Renaud Lavoie on Twitter Oct 22 - 12:40 PM

lol they def confused him for amac

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
The ironic thing here is I don't know how or why but Jack Skille is practicing with the Jackets second line.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Garth would be admitting that the signing was a flop. He would rather have the team stink than admit to a mistake. See:
Bailey, Joshua
Strait, Brian

Ehhhhh your a little ahead of yourself here

Bailey is turning out to be a very good 3rd liner. I don't care about his points but if he helps the team win I'm ok with it.

Strait is about to be demoted to a 7th dman or waived with Vis back.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Garth would be admitting that the signing was a flop. He would rather have the team stink than admit to a mistake. See:
Bailey, Joshua
Strait, Brian

I'm a bit of a Bailey fan since he's in a good role now. He's not relied on to score. He's relied on to play good defense and chip in some points. As far as I'm concerned he has done this.

Brian Strait sucks. We shall see what happens with him but I hope he gets put on waivers instead of Donovan.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm a bit of a Bailey fan since he's in a good role now. He's not relied on to score. He's relied on to play good defense and chip in some points. As far as I'm concerned he has done this.

Brian Strait sucks. We shall see what happens with him but I hope he gets put on waivers instead of Donovan.

I think it's going to be Strait that is waived. They just don't seem ready to give up on Donovan.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Bailey, Joshua
Strait, Brian

He had no problem waiving Skille or Finley in the same seasons he acquired them, not to mention trading Brennan, Regin and Bouchard for peanuts in the same season.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Bailey, Joshua
Strait, Brian

He got Strait for nothing and he has been used for lack of other options. In other words, all of the options were awful. Now that we have options, Strait will either be cut or be our #7. Not sure what you really expect out of Garth for this one.

As for Bailey, he makes our team better even if he hasn't lived up to his original expectations. Garth's patience with him will work out in my opinion. The problem was that he was put in a role he was neither ready for or might not ever be ready for at way too young an age. Did you expect Bailey to be cut? He has a role on this team as one of our better defensive forwards.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think it's going to be Strait that is waived. They just don't seem ready to give up on Donovan.

If that was the case I would think that DOnovan would have gotten at least some ice time this season. The fact that he hasn't made it on to the ice at all leads me to believe that he is the one going down.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Colin was awesome in the 2013 playoffs. But it seemed everytime I watched him last season, he skated fast in the offensive zone but just glided when the puck was in the Islanders end.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
arguing over who gets to stay in the NHL : Conacher or CMAC is like arguing who gets booted out of the beauty contest first, Courtney Love or Amy Winehouse?

Neither one of them should have been there in the first place. And in the end both will be gone in the end.

Didn't winehouse kill herself?

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
If that was the case I would think that DOnovan would have gotten at least some ice time this season. The fact that he hasn't made it on to the ice at all leads me to believe that he is the one going down.

Interesting. I would think if you were trying to figure out whether or not to waive a player or keep him you would actually PLAY that player in game action to figure it out.

I mean, they sort of just did that.... McDonald was the guy that played and then got waived. Where as Boulton didn't dress and he's still around.

Having said that, I think Donovan is the one that gets sent down (he makes less in Bridgeport if he clears). But I do think the smart thing to do would be to waive Strait instead.

Still more potential with Donovan and a higher upside than Strait who doesn't really offer much these days, and I think his little 6 game tryout this season proved that.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Interesting. I would think if you were trying to figure out whether or not to waive a player or keep him you would actually PLAY that player in game action to figure it out.

I mean, they sort of just did that.... McDonald was the guy that played and then got waived. Where as Boulton didn't dress and he's still around.

Having said that, I think Donovan is the one that gets sent down (he makes less in Bridgeport if he clears). But I do think the smart thing to do would be to waive Strait instead.

Still more potential with Donovan and a higher upside than Strait who doesn't really offer much these days, and I think his little 6 game tryout this season proved that.

Re the bolded - totally not comparable. Boulton is on this team for one reason - to punch people. He'll dress one out of 10 games and be fine with it. He's not a 13th forward (i.e. the first guy in when they need someone), he's solely here for one purpose. Of course, they need that guy less and less and it may come to the point where they will waive him, but he has a specific role. CMac, OTOH, is replaceable with.....pretty much anyone. If all goes according to plan (hopefully), Lee will be getting regular minutes and Conacher will take that 13th forward role. He can't, of course, step into Boulton's role.

And as far as giving the guy they are going to possibly waive a try out.....if this were the pre-season I'd agree with you. But these games count. JMO, they are skating the guys they think will give them the best chance to win.

Personally, I agree with you. I would have at least like to have seen Donovan play a couple of games. I don't think the book on him is finished just yet. But, I doubt he gets a chance here anytime soon.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Effort and hustle without skill is very frustrating. Mac embodied that, like so many islanders these past few years. Glad we finally have more skilled options.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
Not sure how Boulton survives over CMac

you and me both. Boulton and Carkner should both be gone. Their type of play isn't good enough for the beer leagues. The era of enforcers is long gone. You don't need players who do nothing but fight. McDonald should have been kept on roster while Boulton should have been canned. Oh well that's management for you: incompetence still exists- like keeping Donovan over Reinhart.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
Re the bolded - totally not comparable. Boulton is on this team for one reason - to punch people. He'll dress one out of 10 games and be fine with it. He's not a 13th forward (i.e. the first guy in when they need someone), he's solely here for one purpose. Of course, they need that guy less and less and it may come to the point where they will waive him, but he has a specific role. CMac, OTOH, is replaceable with.....pretty much anyone. If all goes according to plan (hopefully), Lee will be getting regular minutes and Conacher will take that 13th forward role. He can't, of course, step into Boulton's role.

And as far as giving the guy they are going to possibly waive a try out.....if this were the pre-season I'd agree with you. But these games count. JMO, they are skating the guys they think will give them the best chance to win.

Personally, I agree with you. I would have at least like to have seen Donovan play a couple of games. I don't think the book on him is finished just yet. But, I doubt he gets a chance here anytime soon.

I've watched enough video on Donovan to state with certainty he sucks as a defenceman. He might be good as Mark Streit Canadiens version (i.e.- d-man on the powerplay only, extra player on the bench or 4th line forward fill in).

as far as Boulton goes- His career should have been over years ago. Other teams can find enforcers with a scoring touch why can't the Isles.

A bit harsh on McDonald I think. He came out of nowhere and proved to be a pretty solid 4th liner. No need to just discard him as dead weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad