C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF) - PART 2

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Less than 4 minutes playing time in one game isn't much of a look.

Bit of a head scratcher that the Sabres didn't just return him to Wenatchee after his AHL conditioning stint. Maybe they wanted to reward him with an NHL game after missing camp entirely last year and getting injured during this camp. He's had a bit of a rough go.

Hopefully he feasts on WHL competition for one last season, and comes into camp next year better able to grab a permanent roster spot.

Reactions: Dominance

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Glad to see you back here! I was wondering where my fellow WHL/BCHL watcher was!

Thanks Bubbles! Had to take some time off to focus on real life. Been watching lots of W games in the interim - another solid group coming this year, think this will be a fun draft class to follow

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I think he averages 2.5 ppg this year in the Dub. It will be a tour de force.

He is just getting going,

Reactions: wetcoast

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It's ridiculous.

I totally get and support the *spirit* of the NHL-CHL agreement about AHL eligibility, but there should be a rarely used exception clause for players like Savoie who clearly belong a level up.

They granted the exception to Shane Wright.

I have a hunch they didn't do it for Savoie because there's some hard feelings between HC/CHL and Savoie.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022

I have a hunch they didn't do it for Savoie because there's some hard feelings between HC/CHL and Savoie.
Might be as simple as Wright had exceptional status at 15 and Savoie didn't. They don't want every WHLer who played games at 15 to start asking to go to the AHL at 19.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

It's because Wright played at 15 and would have fulfilled their requirements if covid didn't happen (4 years CHL play)

Savoie was denied ES and therefore didn't meet requirements...sucks but it's not because they have a grudge

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
It's because Wright played at 15 and would have fulfilled their requirements if covid didn't happen (4 years CHL play)

Savoie was denied ES and therefore didn't meet requirements...sucks but it's not because they have a grudge

Actually Savoie played in his 15 year old season, and was only a few games off from being counted as a "full season".

Savoie didn't like being shut down for exceptional status; HC & the CHL didn't like how Savoie levered the NCAA exit option.

Yep. And I think he refused to report to outpost teams in the WHL.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Actually Savoie played in his 15 year old season, and was only a few games off from being counted as a "full season".

Yep. And I think he refused to report to outpost teams in the WHL.
No he was an emergency call up for all of his games he was denied ES so it didn't count as a season where Wrights did

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Bump.

I thought he looked good in the pre tournament game against the Swiss. He has a high compete level and motor, his game relies on quick skilled plays but I really like his IQ to get to the dirty areas in and around the net. To me he projects as a top line winger at his peak but will ultimately carve out a good career in the top 6-9 as a skilled workhorse. I am not sure if he has enough to drive his own line but I could be wrong.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Savoie should be in the NHL man. Straight up.
He isn't ready yet and like some smaller quick skilled guys the transition from junior superstar to the NHL is bigger than some people think.

I've always liked him as a prospect and he really has never quite lived up to his early hype before the WHL bantam draft although he could still turn out to be a very good player but I'm already a bit disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad