C Matia Marcantuoni - Kitchener, OHL (2012 Draft)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Marcantuoni_(6)2457.JPG

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=76687
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/roster/show/id/6657

Probably someone going to post bias, but regardless. Long way till the 2012 draft, just under a year though so this still pertains.

Marcantuoni as a 16 year old speant most of his time on the 3rd and 4th lines, battled through injury that limited his play severely in 2011, but he still had 27 points in 42 games. Anyones who seen him always talks about just how great a skater he was, such explosive ness even at 16, he's got a lot of hockey sense to back it up. Not without flaws by anymeans, in one sentence I'd sum him up as a explosive, physical center with high offensive skill and hockey sense. Still needs to work on consistency and defensive play, but what OHL forward at that age doesn't?

With such a strong draft nexy year he'll have play very strong stay where most people have him ranked, the mid teens of the first round, but he could jump into the top 10, maybe even the top 5 IMO. Since he's already pretty highly regarded, I don't think it's a sleeper, rather "surprising". Forwards always end up rising over the defensemen it seems, so any top end forward is a candidate for next year considering how many defensemen are top ranked right now.

Anyone else got opinons on him, or something else to add? A lot can change and he could fall off the map but now I think he's got all the tools to be a top pick.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Matia is a fantastic player. He's just about a flawless skater and I'm not just talking about straight-away speed. He's got a great release on his wrist shot and he's really physical.

If he gets ice time this season, and he could pretty easily pass Andrew Crescenzi on the depth chart in Kitchener, he could be a serious riser as a prospect. Marcantuoni, before his injuries and illness was really starting to make things happen offensively on the third line in Kitchener.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Matia is a fantastic player. He's just about a flawless skater and I'm not just talking about straight-away speed. He's got a great release on his wrist shot and he's really physical.

If he gets ice time this season, and he could pretty easily pass Andrew Crescenzi on the depth chart in Kitchener, he could be a serious riser as a prospect. Marcantuoni, before his injuries and illness was really starting to make things happen offensively on the third line in Kitchener.

He should easily pass Crescenzi. With Faksa coming over hopefully, Kitchener has some actual center depth now, and Crescenzi can go back down to the third line. I fully expect Marcantuoni to lead Kitcheners offense next season and boost his draft stock.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

If he stays healthy this season, the sky is the limit.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
Marcantuoni_(6)2457.JPG

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=76687
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/roster/show/id/6657

Probably someone going to post bias, but regardless. Long way till the 2012 draft, just under a year though so this still pertains.

Marcantuoni as a 16 year old speant most of his time on the 3rd and 4th lines, battled through injury that limited his play severely in 2011, but he still had 27 points in 42 games. Anyones who seen him always talks about just how great a skater he was, such explosive ness even at 16, he's got a lot of hockey sense to back it up. Not without flaws by anymeans, in one sentence I'd sum him up as a explosive, physical center with high offensive skill and hockey sense. Still needs to work on consistency and defensive play, but what OHL forward at that age doesn't?

With such a strong draft nexy year he'll have play very strong stay where most people have him ranked, the mid teens of the first round, but he could jump into the top 10, maybe even the top 5 IMO. Since he's already pretty highly regarded, I don't think it's a sleeper, rather "surprising". Forwards always end up rising over the defensemen it seems, so any top end forward is a candidate for next year considering how many defensemen are top ranked right now.

Anyone else got opinons on him, or something else to add? A lot can change and he could fall off the map but now I think he's got all the tools to be a top pick.

really impressed by him for a young guy, im exited to see what he'll do this season !!!!

would look good in the blue and white imo

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Matia Marcantuoni

I met him once and he seamed like a really nice and cool guy. Can anyone give me a scouting report on him or tell me what type of player he is? What can we expect from him in Kitchener next year, 80 points?

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I met him once and he seamed like a really nice and cool guy. Can anyone give me a scouting report on him or tell me what type of player he is? What can we expect from him in Kitchener next year, 80 points?

Three aspects of Marcantuonis that really stands out are..
1) his explosive skating, he may be the best skater in the OHL.
2) wrist shot is outstanding.
3) fearless in taking the puck to the net.

He also has the same skating ability when he's coming back on defence.

As for 80 points, it all depends on who he gets to play with. If he plays with Catenannci or Francisco then 80points+/- is quite possible.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

Another aspect of Matia to keep in mind is his work ethic and a total dedication to becoming a better player. He easily put on 15lbs during the season while also increasing his speed. I see only upside in him.

Ward...any word on if ZAR signed or is going to sign?

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
we already have a dedicated thread for him

.... but yeah stunning skater, really agressive, seems determined
i think hes gonna thrust himself into alot of minutes and be a standout on the team next year (over ppg is very possible)

this guy has top 10 talent, even in a great looking draft like 2012

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Ward...any word on if ZAR signed or is going to sign?

From what I heard a few weeks ago, ZAR and his father were asking for a full education package.
The Rangers weren't willing to go that far but neither party was willing to give an inch.
When August comes around and camp is opening soon that there could be some give-n-take from both sides.
If he does sign with the Rangers I could see him getting some quality minutes with some high end players...ie Marcantuoni and Ryan Murphy.
The nice thing for him is he does have choices and seems to be weighing them and getting the most for himself.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

He also has the same skating ability when he's coming back on defence.

As for 80 points, it all depends on who he gets to play with. If he plays with Catenannci or Francisco then 80points+/- is quite possible.

Heard the name Jesse Graham?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Heard the name Jesse Graham?

Yes....hence the term I used "may"
Another would be Daniel Catennaci.

Once you get to be this elite of skating it's hard to differentiate between them.
But I still standby of noting MM explosiveness which IMHO is the best.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
we already have a dedicated thread for him
Sorry, do you have a link?

From what I heard a few weeks ago, ZAR and his father were demanding a full education package.The Rangers weren't willing to go that far but neither party was willing to give an inch.
When August comes around and camp is opening soon that there could be some give-n-take from both sides.
If he does sign with the Rangers I could see him getting some quality minutes with some high end players...ie Marcantuoni and Ryan Murphy.
The nice thing for him is he does have choices and seems to be weighing them and getting the most for himself.

Whats going on with him? Is he not going to play with Kitchner next year?

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
Yes....hence the term I used "may"
Another would be Daniel Catennaci.

Once you get to be this elite of skating it's hard to differentiate between them.
But I still standby of noting MM explosiveness which IMHO is the best.

ya ill take MM's skating over cat and graham....

he has a real stunning style, id call it a heatseaking type of skating his explosiveness just isnt straight ahead speed its just amazing in all aspects: turning, agility etc

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
ya ill take MM's skating over cat and graham....

he has a real stunning style, id call it a heatseaking type of skating his explosiveness just isnt straight ahead speed its just amazing in all aspects: turning, agility etc

Is it anyway like the way Taylor Hall skates?

NHLFreak

Aug 5, 2010
From what I heard a few weeks ago, ZAR and his father were demanding a full education package.
The Rangers weren't willing to go that far but neither party was willing to give an inch.

Maybe im stupid but whose Zar?

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
What's the story behind all this? Is he not happy in Kitchener or something?

Drafted by the Soo in round 11 or 13 in 2010, his rights were traded to Kitchener this offseason.

Kitchener wants him in the blue, white and red but doesn't want to pay a full education package. ZAR wants to go OHL but doesn't want to give up the full ride he has to Brown unless he knows he's getting a full education package.

Hard to really blame other side. Spott only has so many full rides to give out and knows that he can't afford to spend one on a gamble if he needs to bring in Jake Trouba next offseason or John Gibson or etc.

By the same token, a full ride to Brown is a full ride to Brown, there are kids on both sides of the border who'd give their left nut for one. It's hard to blame ZAR for demanding a net if he's gonna walk the tightrope.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Drafted by the Soo in round 11 or 13 in 2010, his rights were traded to Kitchener this offseason.

Kitchener wants him in the blue, white and red but doesn't want to pay a full education package. ZAR wants to go OHL but doesn't want to give up the full ride he has to Brown unless he knows he's getting a full education package.

Hard to really blame other side. Spott only has so many full rides to give out and knows that he can't afford to spend one on a gamble if he needs to bring in Jake Trouba next offseason or John Gibson or etc.

By the same token, a full ride to Brown is a full ride to Brown, there are kids on both sides of the border who'd give their left nut for one. It's hard to blame ZAR for demanding a net if he's gonna walk the tightrope.

So his dad has very little faith that his son is NHL material or something?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
So his dad has very little faith that his son is NHL material or something?

It's a contingency plan and at this point there is nothing that indicates he's going to be a lock to make a career as a professional hockey player.

As the other poster mentioned, you can't blame either side. We'll see if either side budges or if they both stand pat and continue on separate courses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad