C Matia Marcantuoni - Kitchener, OHL (2012 Draft)

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
So his dad has very little faith that his son is NHL material or something?

Nothing wrong with making sure your son is taken care of, most parents do the same. ZAR is a very, very big gamble to make it to the NHL, so I get why he wouldnt want to give up the opportunity in Brown.

I always love to see players come to the OHL, but not at the sacrafice of a better education deal.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
First name is like Mah-Tia or Mah-Shuh?

And the last name is like Mark-Anne-Two-Oh-Knee, right?

Mah-tia.....correct!
Mar-cant-Two-Oh-Knee....That's how the Rangers radio guys pronounce it.
Matia said that the emphasis should be on the "u"

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Anyone else try looking him up on hockeydb and nothing coming up? they misspelled his name and its "Mattia" on hockeydb.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
From what I heard a few weeks ago, ZAR and his father were demanding a full education package.
The Rangers weren't willing to go that far but neither party was willing to give an inch.
When August comes around and camp is opening soon that there could be some give-n-take from both sides.
If he does sign with the Rangers I could see him getting some quality minutes with some high end players...ie Marcantuoni and Ryan Murphy.
The nice thing for him is he does have choices and seems to be weighing them and getting the most for himself.

Thanks.

Education-wise, giving up Brown isn't giving up a BU or a BC or a UMass. So, I would imagine that the lure of that particular education has got to be strong. But "demanding" seems to be a strong word for them. The Dad is pretty laid back...an old hippie type, pony tail and all.

Then again...who knows.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
But "demanding" seems to be a strong word for them. .

You're right.
I was in a bit of a rush when I was posting.

I'll go back and edit!

I'll be interested to hear their side of the story though since I've only heard it from
Kitcheners side.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
You're right.
I was in a bit of a rush when I was posting.

I'll go back and edit!

No...no...you could be correct. Just offering my 2 cents. I used to be tight with his T3 Jr. Coach but we had a falling out last year over another player. I do know that he's playing a role in any "deciding" they may do as well and that he is a very strong advocate for players going major junior. So, don't read anything into the above...just thinking out loud...I didn't mean to hijack this thread from a discussion of Matia.

I'll leave you with this and to be honest with you, I believe the fact that he's with Darren Ferris now means that the OHL is under very strong consideration and I am sure that he's filled them in on what is possible for a ZAR type and what is not.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
He's a great talent, looking forward to seeing what he does this year.

I said over a year and a half ago that he'll be in the NHL as a 18 year old and I stand by it. He'll have a big year and go in the top 10, IMO. He's got speed that kills, and an incredible skill set to go with it.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
To me he sounds like Tyler Seguin.

Who does he draw comparisons to for those who have seen him a bit?

Chinstrap

Jun 30, 2007
He has amazing speed, but more than that, he has balance. I don't often see him knocked off his feet. He'll get great ice time this year (possibly first line with Tobias Rieder) and could lead the team in scoring. I think he'll get drafted pretty high...it's an easy comparison, but he reminds me of Nazem Kadri, and I could see him drafted in that range.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
No...no...you could be correct. Just offering my 2 cents. I used to be tight with his T3 Jr. Coach but we had a falling out last year over another player. I do know that he's playing a role in any "deciding" they may do as well and that he is a very strong advocate for players going major junior. So, don't read anything into the above...just thinking out loud...I didn't mean to hijack this thread from a discussion of Matia.

I'll leave you with this and to be honest with you, I believe the fact that he's with Darren Ferris now means that the OHL is under very strong consideration and I am sure that he's filled them in on what is possible for a ZAR type and what is not.

Not much to add...
http://www.therecord.com/sports/rangers/article/574009--rangers-prospect-still-in-play
Rangers prospect still in play

Zachary Aston-Reese is still very much in the picture to play for the Kitchener Rangers this season.

The club acquired the rights to the 16-year-old forward from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds this past June in exchange for a 15th round draft pick in 2012. If the Rangers sign the Staten Island, N.Y., native, the pick becomes a third-round selection in 2014.

“I think in a perfect world he would like to (play for the Rangers),†said his agent Darren Ferris.

At issue is an education package. Aston-Reese has accepted a U.S. hockey scholarship to play for Brown University in 2012 and wants to secure a similar deal with the Rangers, in case his professional dreams don’t work out.

“The family is concerned about the education,†said Ferris. “We have to cross that bridge with Steve Spott.â€

Spott, the Rangers’ head coach and general manager, is behind the bench with Canada’s Under-18 men’s hockey squad in the Czech Republic until the middle of this month. Any deal will have to wait until he returns from Europe, Ferris said.

Aston-Reese visited Kitchener this past May to tour the city and the Aud.

“He loved it,†said Ferris.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pounder played for the Lincoln Stars of the United States Hockey League last season scoring two goals and adding three assists in 25 games.

Aston-Reese has been training at Lorne Goldenberg’s Athletic Conditioning Center in Ottawa this summer in preparation for the upcoming hockey season.

If he doesn’t join the Rangers, he’ll likely return to the Stars before joining Brown next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad