C Matia Marcantuoni - Kitchener, OHL (2012 Draft)

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Matia has everything working against him, he's been injured i don't know how many times. Also i think that the fact that he hasn't been producing as he would like to, is definitely affecting him. Now all he does is pretty much rushes it and shoots from a bad angle (Ryan Murphy this season as well). I would love to see them to use their speed for good use, Murphy rushing it with Matia on the other side waiting for the rebound.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Just when he was starting to put up goals and assists Matia will be under the knife to repair his shoulder injury and will be out till next season.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
Injuries aside, while this kid possesses all the potential in the world, I just havent been seeing it last year and this year. He 'slid' to Kitchener, and was a projected top 5 in the OHL draft. Ward Cornell is right though, his hands and vision have yet to catch up to his speed, and if or when he can do that, he will be dynamite, but for the time being, until he was injured, he wasnt showing much improvement in that area, seemed to hit a wall.

Perhaps the injuries havent helped, no one knows.

Opting for Surgery was the best thing he could do. Get the shoulder fixed, make sure the 2 concussions are fully healed to the max, rest the knee and get some extra strength there, and he should come into Kitchener next year fresh off NHL camp (He's getting drafted, just probably not until mid-late rounds) with health and a positive attitude.

futurescout

Jan 6, 2012
Toronto
Injuries aside, while this kid possesses all the potential in the world, I just havent been seeing it last year and this year. He 'slid' to Kitchener, and was a projected top 5 in the OHL draft. Ward Cornell is right though, his hands and vision have yet to catch up to his speed, and if or when he can do that, he will be dynamite, but for the time being, until he was injured, he wasnt showing much improvement in that area, seemed to hit a wall.

Perhaps the injuries havent helped, no one knows.

Opting for Surgery was the best thing he could do. Get the shoulder fixed, make sure the 2 concussions are fully healed to the max, rest the knee and get some extra strength there, and he should come into Kitchener next year fresh off NHL camp (He's getting drafted, just probably not until mid-late rounds) with health and a positive attitude.

He "slid" to Kitchener because OHL teams were scared of the NCAA factor because he got full rides from many NCAA teams. But he had a commitment to Kitchener.

Yeah I agree completely though, next year will be a whole new year. I can see him maybe cracking Team Canada at the WJC and having a good year.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
He "slid" to Kitchener because OHL teams were scared of the NCAA factor because he got full rides from many NCAA teams. But he had a commitment to Kitchener.
Yeah I agree completely though, next year will be a whole new year. I can see him maybe cracking Team Canada at the WJC and having a good year.

I understand that. Draft manipulation at its finest.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I understand that. Draft manipulation at its finest.

Call it whatever you want but I have zero issues in which a kid who has options using them.
I would imagine if MM was drafted by Erie than he would be a school in the NCAA. (Erie has shown lately that they won't trade players who opted for the NCAA route).
At least these players/agents/families are upfront about their intentions.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011

Every single post you've made on these boards are about Matia Marcantuoni. I think "futurescout" might just be Mr. Marcantuoni or Uncle Marcantuoini

futurescout

Jan 6, 2012
Toronto
Every single post you've made on these boards are about Matia Marcantuoni. I think "futurescout" might just be Mr. Marcantuoni or Uncle Marcantuoini

Im 19 years old, im no relation to Matia, i do know him personally and have watched him closely through his whole hockey career. I do know many other prospects also but i believe matia is the most talented ive seen.

Fearless Leaf*

Matia Marcantouni - has his draft stock dropped immensely or just a portion?

I know he is currently out with an injury and he is been quite injury prone in his last 2 seasons, but anyways do u think his draft position has took a huge dip since he hasn't performed as well he was expected to and another injury issue lately.

Prior to the start of the year, he was considered a legit 1st round pick, and likely a top 10 as well. His talent level is unbeilevable for an 18 year old and his powerful skating ability and explosive speed is probably the best out of anyone in the entire draft, he is also quite versatile and plays all 3 zones very well.

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2011-12 Regular Season Kitchener Rangers 24 9 5 14 2 10
2010-11 Regular Season Kitchener Rangers 42 11 16 27 -7 26
Total: 66 20 21 41 -5 36

His stats this year are a little underwhelming but he has the talent,strong work ethic, and drive needed to become a solid top 6 forward in the NHL.

Any thoughts on him?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
By refusing to grasp the team concept of the game he only hurt himself. It's one thing to want the puck but another to never want to give it back.

My two cents.

What? He's not a selfish player at all.

Marcantuoni will fall likely to the late second round because of injuries. He came back too soon from his head injury suffered right before the Ivan Hlinka, and when he finnally became healthy and started to show his talent, he suffered a season ending shoulder injury.

Hopefully a good team picks him up and he can come back next year 100% and try to regain what was lost.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I have mentioned a few times that his body moves too fast for his head. He needs to learn to slow the game down and evaluate his options. Speed kills, when used wisely and not constantly.

Right now, he just buries the head and tries to fly down the wing and shoot. He needs some serious coaching. I actually think the "fitting in the team concept" is a somewhat fair comment. Not that he's selfish at all. Just that he is tough to play with.

He has lots of raw tools. He has good size, aggression and a wicked shot to match his blistering speed. To quote a cliche, he has the tools but needs the tool box.

Fearless Leaf*

I have mentioned a few times that his body moves too fast for his head. He needs to learn to slow the game down and evaluate his options. Speed kills, when used wisely and not constantly.

Right now, he just buries the head and tries to fly down the wing and shoot. He needs some serious coaching. I actually think the "fitting in the team concept" is a somewhat fair comment. Not that he's selfish at all. Just that he is tough to play with.

He has lots of raw tools. He has good size, aggression and a wicked shot to match his blistering speed. To quote a cliche, he has the tools but needs the tool box.

Yeah, he does seem to play like Mason Raymond often times, relies too much on his speed and not any other part of the game. That being said he is much powerful on his skates and plays with great determination than Raymond and he is still very young, with a right coaching and good mentality, he will be a solid top 6 contributor.

As a Leaf fan, We have drafted way too many safe prospects lately and taking a flyer on someone with high-end boom/bust potential with our 2nd. He possesses all the talent in the world to be star if he can figure out the proper mentality of the game.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah, he does seem to play like Mason Raymond often times, relies too much on his speed and not any other part of the game. That being said he is much powerful on his skates and plays with great determination than Raymond and he is still very young, with a right coaching and good mentality, he will be a solid top 6 contributor.

As a Leaf fan, We have drafted way too many safe prospects lately and taking a flyer on someone with high-end boom/bust potential with our 2nd. He possesses all the talent in the world to be star if he can figure out the proper mentality of the game.

For sure, he could be a steal for a team if he pieces it together. I am always scared of guys who have a lot of tools but can't seem to figure it out, because often they seem to go nowhere fast. But with his physical ability he should be a 1st rounder.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I can't see Catenacci falling as far as he did, despite huge numbers, and Marcantouni not free falling.

Catenacci seemed to fall because of his size and that he doesn't play a "pro" game. If Marcantuoni falls its because of his injury history, which I hate to say it because he's so damn talented, will likely derail his career.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Catenacci seemed to fall because of his size and that he doesn't play a "pro" game. If Marcantuoni falls its because of his injury history, which I hate to say it because he's so damn talented, will likely derail his career.

From what I remember though it hasn't been re-occuring injuries. It's always something different. Which is not a good thing as well.

If he can come back from these injuries and slow the game down to catch up with his feet than he could be a good NHLer. Definitely worth a pick in the 2nd/3rd in this draft.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Bump, I know he used to be pretty highly regarded and watching him he plays similar to Mackinnon. Matia was projected to be a top 5 pick before injuries made him drop. How does Matia compare to Mackinnon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->