C Matia Marcantuoni - Kitchener, OHL (2012 Draft)

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Matia Marcantuoni's Enigma

Why is he struggling so much? I remember he was listed as one of the top 5 prospects to watch back in the THN 2010 draft issue...

What happened?

Defensive Forward

Aug 5, 2010
Ontario
He is definitely an enigma, sometimes he looks really impressive but he just hasn't been scoring.

I still think he should go in the first round though. The potential is there, but he needs to start capitalizing on it soon.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
His hands havent quite caught up to his incredible speed. He has put up about a PPG the last 5 games, he is improving.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
He suffered two concessions the past 3 or 4 months which really curtailed his production.
He was redhot during preseason and got injured and missed a number of games. When he did comeback he was still sluggish or was a step behind.
Lately like someone else noted he's been maybe the Rangers second best forward behind Faska (imho...Faska will be a top 10 pick).

Defensive Forward

Aug 5, 2010
Ontario
He suffered two concessions the past 3 or 4 months which really curtailed his production.
He was redhot during preseason and got injured and missed a number of games. When he did comeback he was still sluggish or was a step behind.
Lately like someone else noted he's been maybe the Rangers second best forward behind Faska (imho...Faska will be a top 10 pick).

That is a very bold statement. I'm still not 100% sure about him. At this point I would still choose Marcantuoni above him, but Faska's stock is definitely rising.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
That is a very bold statement. I'm still not 100% sure about him. At this point I would still choose Marcantuoni above him, but Faska's stock is definitely rising.

You may be right but all I'm doing is comparing him to a cpl other players that went top 10 and I think Faska will be better than them (Boedker and Kadri)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Waiting for Oilers to draft him in the 2nd round and then finally display his real potential.:sarcasm:

goodfellas

Jan 29, 2011
Does he have many scoring chances? Is he able to create chances for himself on a regular manner when he has some time and space with the puck? How are his passing skills. I was amazed by his speed the only time a saw him last year, but his lack of finishing skills worried me.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

I remember seeing this kid for the first time and I was like, "this guy is 1st round talent" and it's a good thing a lot of people are seeing that now. Big and smart kid. Would love the Leafs to draft him. A lot of potential there.

But anyways, Marcantuoni just needs to start finishing and he will be a top pick. But if he doesn't start soon he is going to be passed up by a lot of other risers like Aberg and Faksa.

futurescout

Jan 6, 2012
Toronto
he got injured in the first game of the ivan hlinka tourni they called it a mild concussion, didnt play for the rest of the tourni

i really feel for this kid, he was starting to get back to form with 2 goals vs erie and with 2 mins left in the 3rd he lost his edge and dislocated the same shoulder he previously injured. he needs surgery now and is out for 4 months (gonna miss the prospects game)

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I was really excited for this guy, but he's been injured this season a ton. Shoulder, knee, concussion, the whole nine yards. Very disappointing, but I think someone will end up getting a steal on draft day.

futurescout

Jan 6, 2012
Toronto
I was really excited for this guy, but he's been injured this season a ton. Shoulder, knee, concussion, the whole nine yards. Very disappointing, but I think someone will end up getting a steal on draft day.

thats forsure, hes easily a top 10 talent, probably a top 5

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
thats forsure, hes easily a top 10 talent, probably a top 5

At the time, he was the best 15 year old I had ever seen when he played for the Marlies. A little undisciplined when it came to team play but he could fly and snipe.

Feel badly for him.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I really think its the injuries that are the reason for the disappointing year. You can see the talent still but those injuries hurt him so much offensively. It really is sad that he's got another horrible injury.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I have watched every game this kid has played since entering the OHL and he's one of those prospects that scares me.

Yes, injuries have devastated him. But he really has to work on his game. His hockey sense and hands are sub-par. He does everything at Mach 3, and he needs to refine his game, slow down and start using his eyes more.

For the most part now, he just barrels down the wing and tries to shoot or cuts to the middle and does the same. He is very poor at using teammates and scanning the ice.

Could he be a steal? Sure. He has amazing speed, good size and a wicked wrister. But he has too many question marks for my liking. And ones that haven't improved in his time in Kitchener.

futurescout

Jan 6, 2012
Toronto
this kid screams potential and you're basically saying he's a one demensional player which is far from it, he is great at both ends of the ice and has that leadership quality like a mike richards (former kitchener ranger) type and i can easily see him wearing the "C" at the next level

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
this kid screams potential and you're basically saying he's a one demensional player which is far from it, he is great at both ends of the ice and has that leadership quality like a mike richards (former kitchener ranger) type and i can easily see him wearing the "C" at the next level

Did I ever say he was one dimensional? I said he lacks dimensions in his game and if you can't see that, I seriously question your user name.

Honestly, if you put him at the same level at 17 as Richards was, I can't help you. He's faster than Richards at that age and has a harder shot. But those are the only two categories I'd grant you. Richards was a fantastic play maker. Light years ahead of Matia. Richards was as good on the boards as any player in the league. Light years ahead of Matia. Richards had excellent hands and puck skills in tight. Light years ahead of Matia. Richards fought regularly. N/A for Matia. I could go on.

I'm not saying he doesn't have an intriguing skill set at all. But I can assure you I have analyzed this kid's play to death and I'm not out to lunch here. Don't take my word for it. Drift by the scouts at the game and ask. You'll see.

futurescout

Jan 6, 2012
Toronto
this kid works harder then most guys in the NHL in and outside the rink, trains like a beast. Its been a tough year and its tough to develop on the ice with limited playing time, theres only so much you can do in the gym. if he had a complete season under his belt you and all the "scouts" would be eating your words. you dont get rated that high at the beginning of the year for having all those flaws that you've stated. and the categories you've stated that richards was light years ahead of matia are questionable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad